Schefter's Power Rankings on Sports Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schefter's Power Rankings on Sports Center

Adam Schefter just said on SC that he now sees the Broncos at #4 behind the Seahawks (#1), Patriots (#2), and the Saints (#3).

While I think the Patriots are certainly a better team now that Gronk is back, I'm surprised that he'd put them at #2; similarly, I'm surprised he bumped the Broncos all the way down to #4 (though they certainly looked worse than #4 in the third quarter of the loss to the Patriots).

That being said, I wouldn't disagree Seattle could be worth a #1, which is also in jeopardy now that it's missing most of its DB corps.

If I had to sort a list, I'd probably have Seattle and/or Denver at #1/#2, followed by Saints, Pats and/or Colts (Pats/Colts interchangeable), and Bengals/Panthers. There's also the "wild card" of Green Bay depending on how soon Rodgers returns.

If Denver makes the Super Bowl, I'd prefer to see a Broncos-Saints game (would be much more fun, i think!) and would dread a Broncos-Seahawks game. That being said, two QBs who have spent the majority of their careers in domes playing outside in New Jersey, in February, is probably sub-optimal.
    Last edited by SinePari; 11-29-2013, 09:49 AM.

Haha the patriots are all of a sudden the #2 team in the league because of one comeback win? Thankfully these "Power Rankings" don't mean a thing and at the end of the regular season it'll be the broncos with the #1 seed in the AFC!

Comment

Homerism aside, the Broncos aren't that good and the Pats aren't that bad. We have had way too many chinks in our armor as of late, I posted awhile back that we play one quarter of football brilliantly. Why we can't put together 60 minutes of football on both sides of the ball is maddening. What will it take? JDR looked like a man with no answers on that sideline while our lead evaporated. Fox is good but is anyone on here going to call him great? He was brought in to calm things down after the Mcd disaster but does he swing a home run stick?

Someone needs to make these guys understand that a window is closing quickly, Manning's candle is burning on both ends, Champ is all but done, will Vick or Moore be the same? How many of our studs can we afford over the next few re-signings? Power ranking are really the least of our worries right now. Rant over.
      [sigpic

Comment

Power Rankings to me are about as Soap Opera as it gets. They are hugely influenced by the most recent past and usually only factor in wins and losses as the major contributor to how high or low a team is ranked. To me in watching that Patriot game I would think people would see Broncos with a mostly healthy team dominated the Patriots. Broncos with an injury depleted team in the 2nd half dominated by the Patriots. Almost all of those players are expected back with actually 2 new ones to add to the arsenal if we were to play them again. Throw in the weather and it being an away game I would think a rational human being would be able to see these two teams are pretty evenly matched but not sure you can clearly rank the Patriots over the Broncos especially with those injured players back on the field.

Comment

Who cares about power rankings?!

Hey look at me....over here! Im the paper champion!

I just want the broncos to be undefeated when the clocks reads 0:00 in febuary

Comment

It's hard to say how good Denver is, since they've only played three teams with winning records, losing to two of them. I think all these teams are about equally good/bad. Just throw them in the playoff ring and see who's still standing at the end. It won't necessarily be the best team, but it will be the team that manages to win out.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
              Who cares about power rankings?!

Hey look at me....over here! Im the paper champion!

I just want the broncos to be undefeated when the clocks reads 0:00 in febuary
              /thread

5 *

Comment

Last year in week 13 the SB champs (Ravens) lost to the Steelers (23-20 in Baltimore) and lost to the Broncos in Baltimore 34-17 in week 15. Power rankings right now mean little or we could say are in Denver's favor as they will get hot when it matters most. :thumb:
                sigpic

Comment

Every healthy, high-powered team we've played against has beaten us. Last year it was the Pats, Texans, and Falcons. We only added fuel to the stereotype last Sunday when Brady's offense stopped turning the ball over and sliced up the defense. Seattle beat the crap out of our starters in Preseason.

You have to beat the best to be the best. #4 sounds about right until we make a statement.

Comment

Adam Schefter is an excellent sports reporter. I question his expertise to produce power rankings. I have noticed his attempt to delve more deeply into the area of football analysis, especially his conversations with Bill Polian on NFL Insiders. Polian pushes back on some of Schefters more bold assertions. Schefty is a good guy.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Seems about right to me. If you want to be the best then prove it by beating the best. The offense hasn't been the same since the Colts game. The defense has improved but is still giving up way to many points. Special teams is just a disaster waiting to happen. What do you expect?
                      ”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin

Comment

What I find funny is all these stories of how Brady overcame Manning and how NE were too strong for Denver, when in truth our D stopped Brady twice in overtime and we would of got the ball back with 2 mins left and either got a W or a tie. That fluke ST bounce was nothing to do with Brady.

Who cares about power rankings ? I wouldn't care if we were 1 or 32. That game with NE is irrelevant, W or L.

ALL that matters is how we play in January. I think we will be hard to beat... but we're see.

Remember the whooping we put on Baltimore a few weeks before the playoffs only to go out in January and make some terrible mistakes.

Thats why I didn't feel that bad last Sunday. This year is ALL about the playoffs for Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Brohemoth View Post
                          Every healthy, high-powered team we've played against has beaten us. Last year it was the Pats, Texans, and Falcons. We only added fuel to the stereotype last Sunday when Brady's offense stopped turning the ball over and sliced up the defense. Seattle beat the crap out of our starters in Preseason.

You have to beat the best to be the best. #4 sounds about right until we make a statement.
                          Pre-season means less then nothing. We won on the road to SF.... but I certainly don't count that.

It was also no coincidence that the play of the D went from brilliant to terrible after DRC, Duke and Bruton went down and we were left with depth players....... although they did a great job on the 2 NE overtime drives when Brady couldn't move the ball.

Comment

We lost to the Patriots on a fluke ST play.

Brady NEVER wins a comeback on his own, he always either settles for a field goal or relies on good fortune.
                            All in for Siemian!

Comment

Originally posted by AdamWeberOrBust View Post
                              We lost to the Patriots on a fluke ST play.

Brady NEVER wins a comeback on his own, he always either settles for a field goal or relies on good fortune.
                              THANK YOU!!!! Every single time someone argues for how good Brady is, its always about how many Superbowls he's won ... truth is, he didn't win ANY his FG kicker won them for him!

Comment

Working...
                              X