Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hope the next two games are frigid cold!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
    The difference was the Colts' D held on to the lead with a sack fumble recovery created by Mathis.

I don't care if the lead is 17-14 like the Giants had with 35 seconds to go in SB 42 or 35-28 that the Broncos had with 30 seconds to go last year. When you have a chance to put the game away, you put the game away.

I remember the Pats-Eagles SB. McNabb got them back from 14-24 to 21-24 back into the game and was driving again but the Pats' D got a game sealing INT to put the game away. You don't hear Pats fans crying about "well, Brady is a HOF QB (more so now than then), he should have put up more than 24 pts, he did nothing once they went up 24-14" and that is because they WON and sealed the deal. Flacco was driving in the 2011 AFCCG at Foxboro, Lee Evans has a TD that is batted out of his hands and then Cundiff misses a FG. The Pats' D at least provided a chance for the team to have a stalemate, OT at worst in a 20-23 game and then lady luck shined with the Cundiff miss.

It is truly not about Peyton or Brady in the end. The team just needs to do what is needed to seal the game, whichever side has the chance to seal the deal.
    There are two ways to seal the deal though and the one you're not mentioning is that Manning scored just once in the second half of the Patriots game. And Brady is a HOF QB so you know that you're going to have to score more than him to win the game, there are times when he is just playing too good and is unstoppable to defenses. That's when Peyton needs to put the game away.
    Denver Broncos GM
    Originally posted by Mosk
    Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
      There are two ways to seal the deal though and the one you're not mentioning is that Manning scored just once in the second half of the Patriots game. And Brady is a HOF QB so you know that you're going to have to score more than him to win the game, there are times when he is just playing too good and is unstoppable to defenses. That's when Peyton needs to put the game away.
      So did Brady in the second half of the Patriots-Giants SB 46. He went up 17-9 with a score after the half but did not do anything after that vs Eli and the Giants. He did not turn it over but he did not put up points the rest of the 3rd qtr. and entire 4th qtr. either. He is not that different either, that is my contention. But the Pats still had a chance to win the game, didn't they, just like the Broncos did?

It happens. Both teams can make plays and HOF QBs, no matter how good they are, can go cold for a spell and need help from time to time.

The odds of a QB being shut down for 7 points in a half are far greater than 31 points being allowed by a D in a half, is that a fair thing to say, or not? It has happened to the mighty Brady and Peyton. Brady went up 13-7 at the half vs the Ravens at home and lost 13-28 in the 2012 season AFCCG, that was at home where he had a bagel vs the Ravens for an entire half.
      Last edited by chad72; 12-03-2013, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanzo the Razor View Post
        I agree that the team needs to experience some frigid weather to prepare for the post-season and get used to the tougher conditions, but can't we just put this myth to bed already?
        In Peyton Manning's last 8 games under these weather conditions [30 degrees or lower], he had a streak of 7 straight games where he completed at least 70% of his passes. In fact, here are his numbers through those 8 games:

177-243 (72.8%), 2129 yards (8.8), 17/10, 105.5 QB Rating

This is not the production of a weak-armed choker who folds in cold weather. His record during that stretch? 4-4. It's a team game folks. During that stretch, his offenses averaged 26.5 points per game. That would be good enough to win under most circumstances. That average when compared to scoring this year would rank that team 6th in the league.

Other factors?

Did you notice most of those games (in fact all but 2) were road games? Most teams fare much worse on the road than at home. If you look at the standings from 2012, 24/32 teams or 75% of all teams finished with a road record at .500 or worse. Going back 5 years, 70.6% of all teams finished .500 or worse on the road.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/1...r-myth-or-fact
        All offseason, every mention of Manning and the Broncos is prefaced with “it ended so badly in the playoffs.” You’d think the Broncos lost by 35 points. You know, like in 2011.

So the Patriots didn’t lose by 15 points at home to the same Ravens? The Packers didn’t give up 579 yards to San Francisco in a 45-31 loss that wasn’t even as close as the score?

Every team but Baltimore was eliminated in some fashion last year. Twenty more did not even qualify for the playoffs.

Out of the 11 playoff games in 2012, the Broncos played in the only one where neither team led by more than seven points.

It was literally the closest, toughest-fought playoff game of the year and it still took a miracle play that you never see in that situation by the Ravens to pull it out.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...january/23412/
        Very good points made! Not to mention that the playoff game last year was in DOUBLE OVERTIME.
        sigpic

Comment

If I was going to the game I wouldn't want the temp to be below 25ish, I would rather watch a game that is sunny and above 32. I think in general most players don't play as well in cold weather as they do in relatively warmer weather and Manning/Broncos are not an exception.
          sigpic

Comment

Well, the cold has arrived. It's dropped over 30 degrees for me in just the last 4 hours.

Hoping there's some snow in there somewhere……

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn View Post
              Well, the cold has arrived. It's dropped over 30 degrees for me in just the last 4 hours.

Hoping there's some snow in there somewhere……

It's going to be real cold tomorrow night through the weekend up there all the way down here. Brrr!
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I heard they are going to "try" to practice out in this 12 degree weather if possible.

The forcast for the gametime is 15 degrees....Brrr!

I'm glad my only job is this is to sit in a warm home and watch!

Comment

This is where you are missing the point. Complementary football is what I call it.

When a D gets a turnover, what is the job of the O to do, cash in on it and put up points on the board? Did Peyton and the Broncos' O cash in on the opportunities? Yes. Ravens turned over the ball once in last year's playoff game vs Broncos but the Broncos did not cash it into points. So, in this case Peyton and the O did what he had to do to cash in on it.

When the O stumbled and gave up a fumble, did the D give up a TD almost every time a turnover happened? The answer is yes. When the O got stagnant, did the D give it a lift? The answer is no, at least till overtime came along.

Scheme or personnel, the D lacked aggression to put the game away. Until they can do so in a playoff scenario, the Broncos are still going to watch the SB from their couches.

The talent assembled on the D does not reflect in the results, IMO. It does on the offensive side, way more consistently than on the defensive side. This D can do better than being 20th or worse in several categories across the board.

I cannot say that I disagree with this. What does need to be factored into this is the injuries but many teams have those now at this stage of the season so really that cannot be an excuse. Except for the Bucs....I think I heard they are in double digits for players who are on season ending IR....crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                    I heard they are going to "try" to practice out in this 12 degree weather if possible.

The forcast for the gametime is 15 degrees....Brrr!

I'm glad my only job is this is to sit in a warm home and watch!
                    That's good. All they need to do is go outside and practice in order to be in Sunday's weather conditions. Titans can't do that. The more Manning plays in cold weather, the better he will get at it.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I've never bought into the weather being that much of a factor. Does it factor in some? Sure. But it's not as much as people let on.

Someone else posted a day or so ago about Manning's performance last year against KC in the last game of the year. It was pretty cold that day and Manning and the offense had no problems moving the ball and scoring. The cold weather thing is greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        That's good. All they need to do is go outside and practice in order to be in Sunday's weather conditions. Titans can't do that. The more Manning plays in cold weather, the better he will get at it.
                        And not just him -- it was clear that in New England, the receivers couldn't hold on to catchable balls. It felt like Tamme was the only receiver making plays consistently when targeted.

The receivers need to know what it feels like to catch a rock-hard football thrown hard and fight for it in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                          Agreed. 18 isn't practicing today and they are in the bubble. I hope they are outside on Thur/Fri.

Originally posted by Conner13 View Post
                          I've never bought into the weather being that much of a factor. Does it factor in some? Sure. But it's not as much as people let on.

Someone else posted a day or so ago about Manning's performance last year against KC in the last game of the year. It was pretty cold that day and Manning and the offense had no problems moving the ball and scoring. The cold weather thing is greatly exaggerated.
                          Matt Cassell owned the field the day the Patriots played the Cardinals & Kurt Warner a few years ago.

Warner is by far the better QB, but on that day he was horrible, and Cassel looked all world.

The elements are only part of the equation, and the opponents are a bigger part of the equation in my opinion.

Comment

The difference was the Colts' D held on to the lead with a sack fumble recovery created by Mathis.

I don't care if the lead is 17-14 like the Giants had with 35 seconds to go in SB 42 or 35-28 that the Broncos had with 30 seconds to go last year. When you have a chance to put the game away, you put the game away.

I remember the Pats-Eagles SB. McNabb got them back from 14-24 to 21-24 back into the game and was driving again but the Pats' D got a game sealing INT to put the game away. You don't hear Pats fans crying about "well, Brady is a HOF QB (more so now than then), he should have put up more than 24 pts, he did nothing once they went up 24-14" and that is because they WON and sealed the deal. Flacco was driving in the 2011 AFCCG at Foxboro, Lee Evans has a TD that is batted out of his hands and then Cundiff misses a FG. The Pats' D at least provided a chance for the team to have a stalemate, OT at worst in a 20-23 game and then lady luck shined with the Cundiff miss.

It is truly not about Peyton or Brady in the end. The team just needs to do what is needed to seal the game, whichever side has the chance to seal the deal.
                            The difference was the Colts had a very time consuming drive and ran out the clock, not a fumble recovery. The Ravens probably lost two possessions because the Colts held onto the ball. As far as closing out the NE game, Welker dropped a pass that hit him in the numbers. If caught, the Broncs may have tried a FG or go for the first down
                            on a fourth and two.

We also forget Peyton began his career in the AFC East playing in NE, NY, and Buffalo every year. I think some of those games must have been played in cold weather and the Colts won.

Comment

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...9-ef5eb96cac0e

2:50 mark

Comment

It is not the cold that Peyton has trouble with - it's the cold AND WIND. Regardless, he needs to get used to be because the cold + thin air needs to start being an advantage for us (like Green Bay or New England).
                                IT'S OK - The F just means Freakin' !!

Comment

Working...
                                X