Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ten Things We Need To Get Over the Hump

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ten Things We Need To Get Over the Hump

    Here are ten things we need to do to get over that playoff hump.

    1.) Get a defensive linemen. The reason is because other than Trevor Pryce we have nobody and the last two months we've played like nobodies. Think I read somewhere that said that Chris Hovan(DT), John Abraham (DE), Shaun Ellis (DE), Shaun Rogers(DE), Darren Howard(DE), and Corey Simon (DT) are all FA. Now I know that some of these people will be franchised, but I think we have to market ourselves as being close to the top. No more nickel and dimeing anymore. It's great to have Mario Fatafaihi (sp), Antoni Palapoi (sp), and the Ellis Brothers Luther Ellis and Ellis Johnson, but the late to months we've found out that thay are way better coming off the bench than starters. The reason is because you can't ask Champ to cover any receiver for 5...6...7...8 seconds.

    2.) Get interior offensive linemen. I mean I like Ben Hamilton, but he gets pushed into the backfield and he holds to often. It would be a good idea to get a Guard in the draft or here's a crazy idea move Dwayne Carswell to guard. But whatever we do, he needs to be quick on the run and stout against the pass.

    3.) Renegotiate Jake Plummer's contract. Because he is due 6.6 Mil. in March and we can't afford to pay him franchise QB money for sub-franchise proformance. Like if his QB rating was top five in the AFC and got 3 Mil. I wouldn't mind. The extra money under the cap will let us for after that Stud D-lineman.

    4.) We need a TE. Sorry but Jeb ain't cuttin' it. He needs to improve his hands. I think he's only caught one or two passes on the deep seams, while he runs really good flat routes.

    5.) We need PR other than Rod Smith. Rod is a great player and HOFer. But one of the reasons Rod's stats are down is because he's getting tired out there.

    6.) Larry Coyer needs to change he's defensive philosophy. I mean look at last years Indy game. We were crowding the line and showing blitz and it confused Payton. Then the game in the playoffs, I swear the defensive huddle must have sound like this "Cover-2", "Cover-2", "Cover-2" and my favorite "Cover-2".

    7.) Safety with hands. I think Kennoy is a FA this year. So that leaves either Nick Ferigison or the Draft to get a "Ballhawk" out there.

    8.) Settle the RB position. Faider fans take notes. This is the reason you don't have RB by committee.

    9.) Resign Reggie Hayward. He's growing into a pretty good DE.

    10.) If we don't want Plummer, this is a good year in FA for QB's Hasselbeck and Brees are going to be out there.





  • #2
    Originally posted by UltimateSoldier
    Here are ten things we need to do to get over that playoff hump.

    1.) Get a defensive linemen. The reason is because other than Trevor Pryce we have nobody and the last two months we've played like nobodies. Think I read somewhere that said that Chris Hovan(DT), John Abraham (DE), Shaun Ellis (DE), Shaun Rogers(DE), Darren Howard(DE), and Corey Simon (DT) are all FA. Now I know that some of these people will be franchised, but I think we have to market ourselves as being close to the top. No more nickel and dimeing anymore. It's great to have Mario Fatafaihi (sp), Antoni Palapoi (sp), and the Ellis Brothers Luther Ellis and Ellis Johnson, but the late to months we've found out that thay are way better coming off the bench than starters. The reason is because you can't ask Champ to cover any receiver for 5...6...7...8 seconds.

    2.) Get interior offensive linemen. I mean I like Ben Hamilton, but he gets pushed into the backfield and he holds to often. It would be a good idea to get a Guard in the draft or here's a crazy idea move Dwayne Carswell to guard. But whatever we do, he needs to be quick on the run and stout against the pass.

    3.) Renegotiate Jake Plummer's contract. Because he is due 6.6 Mil. in March and we can't afford to pay him franchise QB money for sub-franchise proformance. Like if his QB rating was top five in the AFC and got 3 Mil. I wouldn't mind. The extra money under the cap will let us for after that Stud D-lineman.

    4.) We need a TE. Sorry but Jeb ain't cuttin' it. He needs to improve his hands. I think he's only caught one or two passes on the deep seams, while he runs really good flat routes.

    5.) We need PR other than Rod Smith. Rod is a great player and HOFer. But one of the reasons Rod's stats are down is because he's getting tired out there.

    6.) Larry Coyer needs to change he's defensive philosophy. I mean look at last years Indy game. We were crowding the line and showing blitz and it confused Payton. Then the game in the playoffs, I swear the defensive huddle must have sound like this "Cover-2", "Cover-2", "Cover-2" and my favorite "Cover-2".

    7.) Safety with hands. I think Kennoy is a FA this year. So that leaves either Nick Ferigison or the Draft to get a "Ballhawk" out there.

    8.) Settle the RB position. Faider fans take notes. This is the reason you don't have RB by committee.

    9.) Resign Reggie Hayward. He's growing into a pretty good DE.

    10.) If we don't want Plummer, this is a good year in FA for QB's Hasselbeck and Brees are going to be out there.

    Pretty good post. I agree that we need some help on the o-line, especially at LG. I like David Baas from Michigan. He's big, mobile, and plays with a mean streak. I also agree with you about the safety position, but I think that Kennedy is the answer at SS. I think that we still need help at a FS, and I'd love to see us get someone decent here in the draft but then again, Jeremy LeSeuer could fit in nicely there for us. Or IF Kennedy walks, I say do our best to get Michigan's Ernest Shazor. Seriously, this guy is a playmaker and a BIG hitter. Not quite Ed Reed caliber in coverage, but he has improved tremendously every year he's started and he WILL be an elite safety.

    The DT posistion is a no-brainer. We desperately need help and youth here. Pope is nothing more than a backup, and the rest of our interior lineman suck ass. We need to address this issue in the draft by going for Antaj Hawthorne, or Haloti Ngata. The TE position SHOULD have been addressed last year, but I'm glad we got D.J. and Bell. I don't see alot of IMPACT TEs coming out this year. Everyone preaches Heath Miller, but I don't think he's that special. I'd much rather wait a few rounds and get Tim Massaqoui, or that Everett kid from Miami. Great speed and size, ok hands, and he can block as well.

    To me, the running back issue is settled. If Tatum Bell can stay healthy, he will be a top 5 running back in this league. He has TREMENDOUS speed, and if he can learn how to catch the ball outta the backfield, we will have a very dangerous weapon on offense. I think Bell's injury bug is a fluke, as the guy is a workout warrior in the weight room and has great flexibility for a guy of his build. He is better than what he has shown at picking up the blitz too. Bell is the future. Count on it.
    Last edited by PLUMMERFAN16; 12-21-2004, 11:38 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
      To me, the running back issue is settled. If Tatum Bell can stay healthy, he will be a top 5 running back in this league. He has TREMENDOUS speed, and if he can learn how to catch the ball outta the backfield, we will have a very dangerous weapon on offense. I think Bell's injury bug is a fluke, as the guy is a workout warrior in the weight room and has great flexibility for a guy of his build. He is better than what he has shown at picking up the blitz too. Bell is the future. Count on it.
      Bell is pretty good , but think he need to take a page out of Tiki Barbers running book and run with the ball tucked under his helmet like he did this year to stop his fumble problem. Its times like these I really miss TD. He almost never put the ball on the carpet!!!!




      Comment


      • #4
        a playmaker WR (rod smith is getting older. lelie is good but not great)

        Comment


        • #5
          hey

          Wow! You guys are way more into the draft than me. Kudos.

          My points, for reflection and discussion.

          Obviously, Jake has gotta negotiate down, he will see that.

          Broncs oughta sign Kennedy now. They shoulda signed Gold early, too.

          SD TE Gates is a free agent this year. Chargers can only franchise him or Brees, not both.

          You know damn well Shanny is gonna draft a new RB, and we will need him. look at how damn many injuries we have had not just this season , but over the last 4 or 5. It is ingrained in Shanny, look for a draft pick around 5 or 6 to be RB. Not slammin' Bell, just noting the nature of the position. Look at last season when Clinton was out for 4 games! Besides, no offense, but Bell has not proved any thing of long lasting duration. What if all his carreer he is injury prone, but with such promise? We do not need to count on that.
          - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

          Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by UltimateSoldier
            Here are ten things we need to do to get over that playoff hump.

            1.) Get a defensive linemen. The reason is because other than Trevor Pryce we have nobody and the last two months we've played like nobodies. Think I read somewhere that said that Chris Hovan(DT), John Abraham (DE), Shaun Ellis (DE), Shaun Rogers(DE), Darren Howard(DE), and Corey Simon (DT) are all FA. Now I know that some of these people will be franchised, but I think we have to market ourselves as being close to the top. No more nickel and dimeing anymore. It's great to have Mario Fatafaihi (sp), Antoni Palapoi (sp), and the Ellis Brothers Luther Ellis and Ellis Johnson, but the late to months we've found out that thay are way better coming off the bench than starters. The reason is because you can't ask Champ to cover any receiver for 5...6...7...8 seconds.

            2.) Get interior offensive linemen. I mean I like Ben Hamilton, but he gets pushed into the backfield and he holds to often. It would be a good idea to get a Guard in the draft or here's a crazy idea move Dwayne Carswell to guard. But whatever we do, he needs to be quick on the run and stout against the pass.

            3.) Renegotiate Jake Plummer's contract. Because he is due 6.6 Mil. in March and we can't afford to pay him franchise QB money for sub-franchise proformance. Like if his QB rating was top five in the AFC and got 3 Mil. I wouldn't mind. The extra money under the cap will let us for after that Stud D-lineman.

            4.) We need a TE. Sorry but Jeb ain't cuttin' it. He needs to improve his hands. I think he's only caught one or two passes on the deep seams, while he runs really good flat routes.

            5.) We need PR other than Rod Smith. Rod is a great player and HOFer. But one of the reasons Rod's stats are down is because he's getting tired out there.

            6.) Larry Coyer needs to change he's defensive philosophy. I mean look at last years Indy game. We were crowding the line and showing blitz and it confused Payton. Then the game in the playoffs, I swear the defensive huddle must have sound like this "Cover-2", "Cover-2", "Cover-2" and my favorite "Cover-2".

            7.) Safety with hands. I think Kennoy is a FA this year. So that leaves either Nick Ferigison or the Draft to get a "Ballhawk" out there.

            8.) Settle the RB position. Faider fans take notes. This is the reason you don't have RB by committee.

            9.) Resign Reggie Hayward. He's growing into a pretty good DE.

            10.) If we don't want Plummer, this is a good year in FA for QB's Hasselbeck and Brees are going to be out there.

            I think we solved problem #5. Charle Adams did a pretty job catching the ball and run with it




            Comment


            • #7
              I think our D line needs a couple more guys, its got good depth but we need to cut a couple of vets and bring some young pass rushing talents in

              we can probably get an interior lineman lower down the draft, they dont get much accolades so they usually fall in teh lower rounds

              and people need to get off Jeb's back, he aint shannon sharpe and never will be but he did a decent job for his first year and i think he will grow, hes got good hands

              safety, i dnno if we can resign kennoy kennedy, hes gonna command quite a big contract being probably the best FA safety out there

              and we need to change our D philosophy, and if that means getting rid of larry coyer, then so be it
              Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
              http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

              I adopt Erica Weston

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE


                SD TE Gates is a free agent this year. Chargers can only franchise him or Brees, not both.
                .
                If we can indeed grab Gates, then we really should look into it. He is the kind of offensive playmaker we need to push us from good to Super caliber (amoung other things like a new DT)

                But we wont be able to get him unless Jake re-negociates cause it sounds like we wont be able to do anything without a bit more cap space. Futhermore, that contract was made with the idea that in 2 years Jake would either a total bust or a new star QB. Hes not a bust but he isnt Elway either so maybe a 1,2, or 3 million signing bonus but no more.
                KEEP THE FAITH


                Football is one half physical and 90% mental
                -Yogi Berra

                something our boys should keep in mind

                *i need CPs!*

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by UltimateSoldier
                  Here are ten things we need to do to get over that playoff hump.

                  1.) Get a defensive linemen. The reason is because other than Trevor Pryce we have nobody and the last two months we've played like nobodies. Think I read somewhere that said that Chris Hovan(DT), John Abraham (DE), Shaun Ellis (DE), Shaun Rogers(DE), Darren Howard(DE), and Corey Simon (DT) are all FA. Now I know that some of these people will be franchised, but I think we have to market ourselves as being close to the top. No more nickel and dimeing anymore. It's great to have Mario Fatafaihi (sp), Antoni Palapoi (sp), and the Ellis Brothers Luther Ellis and Ellis Johnson, but the late to months we've found out that thay are way better coming off the bench than starters. The reason is because you can't ask Champ to cover any receiver for 5...6...7...8 seconds.

                  2.) Get interior offensive linemen. I mean I like Ben Hamilton, but he gets pushed into the backfield and he holds to often. It would be a good idea to get a Guard in the draft or here's a crazy idea move Dwayne Carswell to guard. But whatever we do, he needs to be quick on the run and stout against the pass.

                  3.) Renegotiate Jake Plummer's contract. Because he is due 6.6 Mil. in March and we can't afford to pay him franchise QB money for sub-franchise proformance. Like if his QB rating was top five in the AFC and got 3 Mil. I wouldn't mind. The extra money under the cap will let us for after that Stud D-lineman.

                  4.) We need a TE. Sorry but Jeb ain't cuttin' it. He needs to improve his hands. I think he's only caught one or two passes on the deep seams, while he runs really good flat routes.

                  5.) We need PR other than Rod Smith. Rod is a great player and HOFer. But one of the reasons Rod's stats are down is because he's getting tired out there.

                  6.) Larry Coyer needs to change he's defensive philosophy. I mean look at last years Indy game. We were crowding the line and showing blitz and it confused Payton. Then the game in the playoffs, I swear the defensive huddle must have sound like this "Cover-2", "Cover-2", "Cover-2" and my favorite "Cover-2".

                  7.) Safety with hands. I think Kennoy is a FA this year. So that leaves either Nick Ferigison or the Draft to get a "Ballhawk" out there.

                  8.) Settle the RB position. Faider fans take notes. This is the reason you don't have RB by committee.

                  9.) Resign Reggie Hayward. He's growing into a pretty good DE.

                  10.) If we don't want Plummer, this is a good year in FA for QB's Hasselbeck and Brees are going to be out there.

                  Excellent post. I agree with all of them. We should Keep Kenoy. He's doing good.

                  sigpic

                  Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

                  There are three things you can expect in life:

                  1. Death
                  2. Taxes
                  3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Do any of us seriosuly belive jake will renegotiate tho? I think Lep should too............. hes due about 6 mill...........I say put it into a bonus, like say if jake doesnt throw so many ints or has a passer rating so high he gets his money, and if lep dont completley blow nex year or anythin then he can get some
                    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                      Players just don't exactly AGREE to incentive laden contracts.

                      Breese and Hasselbeck are not going ANYWHERE. Antonio Gates isn't going ANYWHERE *laughs*....

                      We just need to either draft, or SIGN a YOUNG QB. Let him grow with Lelie, Watts, and Bell. Jake just isn't the answer.
                      a guy further up said that they can't afford to re sign Brees and Gates for the contracts that they probably want so if that is correct then we may have a chance. I personally dont see him coming to Denver but if he did then it would be really cool
                      KEEP THE FAITH


                      Football is one half physical and 90% mental
                      -Yogi Berra

                      something our boys should keep in mind

                      *i need CPs!*

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The only thing the Broncos need is a better pass rush (via defensive tackles) and a few receivers who can catch the ball.

                        As far as the receivers are concerned, Lelie and Watts will develop in time.

                        As an example, Reggie Wayne used to drop a lot of balls in his first few years with the Colts. Look at him now.
                        James Tiberius Kirk: "Spock, the women on your planet are logical. No other planet in the galaxy can make that claim."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                          Players just don't exactly AGREE to incentive laden contracts.

                          Breese and Hasselbeck are not going ANYWHERE. Antonio Gates isn't going ANYWHERE *laughs*....

                          We just need to either draft, or SIGN a YOUNG QB. Let him grow with Lelie, Watts, and Bell. Jake just isn't the answer.
                          Brees is more likely to go somewhere else than Hasselbeck is. He's a UFA what are the Chargers going to do franchise him? I don't think they will seeing that they have Rivers. That being said I don't Brees coming here either and as far as a young qb we have Mauck and Van Pelt to develop.
                          John 11: 25-27

                          My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                          Thanks Snk16

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                            The guy up was wrong.

                            The Chargers have already said that they will Franchise tag Breese. If thats the case, then they can either trade him, or trade Rivers. If they trade Breese, after franchise tagging him, then they get two first round picks for him. If they trade RIvers, then they will get at least on first round compensation.

                            They will be able to keep Gates as well. They are NOT going to let go of their newest star. There is no way the Chargers let what could be the best TE in teh game go. Look what he did for Brees' year! If they keep Rivers and trade Breese... a TE is HUGE HUGE in the passing game! Look how stale our passing game is without one.

                            Breese will be Franchised, and Gates will be resigned. The poster above is dreaming
                            This is what I see happaning with the Brees and Gates thing. First of all the dolts have more than enough cap space to sign. But that won't happen. This is how I would handle it. First slap Brees with the "Frachise" tag, but I would ask for the full 2 first round picks for him because thats too much to ask from any team. I'd ask for a 1 and a 3 plus a player or 1, 3, and 6. Then with Gates, you sign him for almost whatever prices he is asking for because if you slap a "transtion" tag on him he will get piss and you don't want a pissed-off player. Now if no team bites of Brees then you have they best back-up and can see what Rivers can do.




                            Comment


                            • #15
                              They've already said they'll be keeping Brees....and why not? How has he not earned it this year.
                              And why would they want to lose him just to start a rookie on a team that just won a division championship.
                              They have so much extra money right now, and 2 picks in the 1st round, that I see a package deal coming together....one that'll help them out in the long term, and someone else.
                              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                              men."

                              -- Samuel Adams

                              sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X