Ten Things We Need To Get Over the Hump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rcsodak
    They've already said they'll be keeping Brees....and why not? How has he not earned it this year.
    And why would they want to lose him just to start a rookie on a team that just won a division championship.
    They have so much extra money right now, and 2 picks in the 1st round, that I see a package deal coming together....one that'll help them out in the long term, and someone else.

Not saying they shouldn't keep Brees.

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateSoldier
      Not saying they shouldn't keep Brees.
      I say they trade rivers........ brees earned his spot
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I think I've solved #6. One Larry Coyer could really study the Pats game plan Vs. the Colts. Or we get the Pats D-line Coach to be our DC. They were able to pressure Manning without Blitzing and they really mixed their coverages and confused Manning. What do you guys think.

Comment

Here are ten things we need to do to get over that playoff hump.

1.) Get a defensive linemen. The reason is because other than Trevor Pryce we have nobody and the last two months we've played like nobodies. Think I read somewhere that said that Chris Hovan(DT), John Abraham (DE), Shaun Ellis (DE), Shaun Rogers(DE), Darren Howard(DE), and Corey Simon (DT) are all FA. Now I know that some of these people will be franchised, but I think we have to market ourselves as being close to the top. No more nickel and dimeing anymore. It's great to have Mario Fatafaihi (sp), Antoni Palapoi (sp), and the Ellis Brothers Luther Ellis and Ellis Johnson, but the late to months we've found out that thay are way better coming off the bench than starters. The reason is because you can't ask Champ to cover any receiver for 5...6...7...8 seconds.

2.) Get interior offensive linemen. I mean I like Ben Hamilton, but he gets pushed into the backfield and he holds to often. It would be a good idea to get a Guard in the draft or here's a crazy idea move Dwayne Carswell to guard. But whatever we do, he needs to be quick on the run and stout against the pass.

3.) Renegotiate Jake Plummer's contract. Because he is due 6.6 Mil. in March and we can't afford to pay him franchise QB money for sub-franchise proformance. Like if his QB rating was top five in the AFC and got 3 Mil. I wouldn't mind. The extra money under the cap will let us for after that Stud D-lineman.

4.) We need a TE. Sorry but Jeb ain't cuttin' it. He needs to improve his hands. I think he's only caught one or two passes on the deep seams, while he runs really good flat routes.

5.) We need PR other than Rod Smith. Rod is a great player and HOFer. But one of the reasons Rod's stats are down is because he's getting tired out there.

6.) Larry Coyer needs to change he's defensive philosophy. I mean look at last years Indy game. We were crowding the line and showing blitz and it confused Payton. Then the game in the playoffs, I swear the defensive huddle must have sound like this "Cover-2", "Cover-2", "Cover-2" and my favorite "Cover-2".

7.) Safety with hands. I think Kennoy is a FA this year. So that leaves either Nick Ferigison or the Draft to get a "Ballhawk" out there.

8.) Settle the RB position. Faider fans take notes. This is the reason you don't have RB by committee.

9.) Resign Reggie Hayward. He's growing into a pretty good DE.

10.) If we don't want Plummer, this is a good year in FA for QB's Hasselbeck and Brees are going to be out there.

I thought I would drag this out of the histiry books from nearly 2 years ago. Other than a few name changes anubody think we still got some of the same problems?

Comment

Here are ten things we need to do to get over that playoff hump.

1.) Get a defensive linemen. The reason is because other than Trevor Pryce we have nobody and the last two months we've played like nobodies. Think I read somewhere that said that Chris Hovan(DT), John Abraham (DE), Shaun Ellis (DE), Shaun Rogers(DE), Darren Howard(DE), and Corey Simon (DT) are all FA. Now I know that some of these people will be franchised, but I think we have to market ourselves as being close to the top. No more nickel and dimeing anymore. It's great to have Mario Fatafaihi (sp), Antoni Palapoi (sp), and the Ellis Brothers Luther Ellis and Ellis Johnson, but the late to months we've found out that thay are way better coming off the bench than starters. The reason is because you can't ask Champ to cover any receiver for 5...6...7...8 seconds.
            Getting a better pass rush would be helpful. Can't say that this isn't still a need. Though, I really think that despite the lower sack numbers, we did have some improvement last year. This is seen in the interception numbers and in the fact that we allowed the third lowest completion percentage in the league.

Still, we didn't get to the quarterback, we could have gotten better pressure, and our rushing yards per carry averaged increased a bit from 2004 to 2005.

2.) Get interior offensive linemen. I mean I like Ben Hamilton, but he gets pushed into the backfield and he holds to often. It would be a good idea to get a Guard in the draft or here's a crazy idea move Dwayne Carswell to guard. But whatever we do, he needs to be quick on the run and stout against the pass.
            I've never bought this. This year our running game was even better than last year and was as good as any other team's. For the second year in a row, we allowed the third fewest sacks in the league.

Even if you say that Denver needs to do better on third and short, I disagree. I mean, we weren't the top of the league, but according to footballoutsiders, we were 9th in the league in power runs of short yardage. This isn't fantastic, but it is pretty good. This is not one of our bigger needs.

3.) Renegotiate Jake Plummer's contract. Because he is due 6.6 Mil. in March and we can't afford to pay him franchise QB money for sub-franchise proformance. Like if his QB rating was top five in the AFC and got 3 Mil. I wouldn't mind. The extra money under the cap will let us for after that Stud D-lineman.
            Jake Plummers play was pretty good throughout the year. I still wouldn't consider him an elite quarterback, but he is above average and while I wouldn't mind getting some money from a renegotiation, I also won't complain about his pay for what he gives us.

4.) We need a TE. Sorry but Jeb ain't cuttin' it. He needs to improve his hands. I think he's only caught one or two passes on the deep seams, while he runs really good flat routes.
            Actually, I wasn't on the boards then, but Jeb was second in the league in yards per catch in 2004 behind only Alge Crumpler, so I don't know if I agree with what you say here.

Anyway, now Jeb has moved on and we have to hope that Shanahan can fill the void. Really, Shanahan has been able to find good tight end talent on a consistent basis, so I give him the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't expect a huge dropoff with Putzier's loss.

5.) We need PR other than Rod Smith. Rod is a great player and HOFer. But one of the reasons Rod's stats are down is because he's getting tired out there.
            As long as Rod Smith isn't returning punts, I'm not really worried about who returns the ball. I think that Darrient Williams did a fine job when he was returning the ball. Unfortunately, his role as a starter limits how often we can use him for the task. Still, it's not like good punt returners are incredibly difficult to find. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

6.) Larry Coyer needs to change he's defensive philosophy. I mean look at last years Indy game. We were crowding the line and showing blitz and it confused Payton. Then the game in the playoffs, I swear the defensive huddle must have sound like this "Cover-2", "Cover-2", "Cover-2" and my favorite "Cover-2".
            I think that Coyer puts together a good scheme and good game plan, but has trouble adapting if it fails. It would be nice if that weren't the case. Still, I like what he did when we had trouble getting consistent pressure with our d-line and used blitzing to get pressure all while taking advantage of athleticism in the corner positions.

Even in that Pittsburgh game, I can't say that I disagreed with what he did. I mean, he set us up in a position to stop Pittsburgh in third and long situations after we shut down their running game. It sucked that Pittsburgh kept moving the chains in such situations, but I can't say the strategy was bad. It was just that Pittsburgh beat it. I do feel that he played the corners too far off in that game, but I like how he played the corners off most of the time. As long as it isn't too far, playing the corners off isn't necessarily a bad strategy. Playing the corners off had something to do with why we forced so many turnovers this year. Playing the corners off makes sense with our talent. After all, we have corners who are not afraid to tackle and who are actually darn good at it. They have great closing speed, so the underneath stuff doesn't work well. Beyond that, our rookies are smaller guys that aren't designed to bump the reciever off of their route.

Besides that, playing our corners off most of the time should have led to the opposing team being able to complete underneath passes, but it didn't. Recall that we did allow the third lowest completion percentage in the league despite playing our corners off. I would define that as success.

7.) Safety with hands. I think Kennoy is a FA this year. So that leaves either Nick Ferigison or the Draft to get a "Ballhawk" out there.
            Nick Ferguson did have 5 picks in 2005. He's getting up there in age, but I think that we can count on him for next year. In fact, he seemed like a good upgrade over Kennedy.

8.) Settle the RB position. Faider fans take notes. This is the reason you don't have RB by committee.
            Well, we nearly had two 1000 yard runners and were second in the league in total yards and yards per carry. Seems pretty successful to me. It helps keep both backs fresh and makes teams have to game plan for more than one type of back.

I would also love to have a Terrell Davis type of back that is nearly impossible to gameplan for, but considering that our running game is the class of the league, I'm not about to complain about what we've got.

9.) Resign Reggie Hayward. He's growing into a pretty good DE.
            Would've been nice. He's continued to put up good numbers with Jacksonville and does well to rush the passer. Still, we would have had to overpay a bit for him.
            10.) If we don't want Plummer, this is a good year in FA for QB's Hasselbeck and Brees are going to be out there.
            Well, this year had more options. In fact, Brees was actually available this year.

Still, I really can't say that I would have preferred that we start from scratch with a new QB that would have to learn the system. Plummer works pretty well for our system.
            My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
            . Post Your Artwork .
            . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

I thought I would drag this out of the histiry books from nearly 2 years ago. Other than a few name changes anubody think we still got some of the same problems?
              Nothing has changed other than an afc championship appearance. We need to address several of those items.

Comment

Just to clear it up, jake was top 5 in the AFC, and top 7 in the league:

Passer Rating
                Rank Player Team Yds Atp Cmp TDs Ints Long Rating
                1 Peyton Manning IND 3747 453 305 28 10 80 104.1
                2 Carson Palmer CIN 3836 509 345 32 12 70 101.1
                3 Ben Roethlisberger PIT 2385 268 168 17 9 85 98.6
                4 Tom Brady NE 4115 530 334 26 14 71 92.3
                5 Jake Plummer DEN 3366 456 277 18 7 72 90.2
                sigpic

Check out my clothing company: Dayzend Apparel
                www.dayzend.net

Comment

Working...