Moreno/Decker Free agents after season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    Yes, absolutely. I want to keep Welker right now because that's a move that make the Broncos better today. Letting Decker go won't necessarily hurt the performance of this offense today because they Broncos can replace him with another guy or two guys. What does Decker do that is irreplaceable? Other than his size, I would say nothing. He has good hands and can play the slot if needed but that's it.

The Broncos need to balance the needs of today with the needs of tomorrow. J. Thomas is the kind of guy that is too big for a safety or corner back and too fast for a linebacker. He understands body positioning but he is really still learning how to play football.

Thomas is the kind of player that will make his QB better. Decker is the type of player that Manning helps to a huge contract.
    Smh...just crazy. Decker has everything you want in a #1 receiver besides the "elite" speed. And even without the "elite" speed, he still finds a way to get behind the coverage (good route running does that). And his blocking ability can't be slept on by anybody.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by JayJack View Post
      Smh...just crazy. Decker has everything you want in a #1 receiver besides the "elite" speed. And even without the "elite" speed, he still finds a way to get behind the coverage (good route running does that). And his blocking ability can't be slept on by anybody.
      Decker has everything but the Broncos don't have the space. If you weren't paying attention, we already have a number one guy on the roster that does everything Decker does but better. I like Decker but he is going to have to be a casualty of a very talented roster.

You can't pay everyone.

Comment

Yes, absolutely. I want to keep Welker right now because that's a move that make the Broncos better today. Letting Decker go won't necessarily hurt the performance of this offense today because they Broncos can replace him with another guy or two guys. What does Decker do that is irreplaceable? Other than his size, I would say nothing. He has good hands and can play the slot if needed but that's it.

The Broncos need to balance the needs of today with the needs of tomorrow. J. Thomas is the kind of guy that is too big for a safety or corner back and too fast for a%2
        LOL.

Decker has everything except speed to be a true #1, he's a lesser version of Jordy Nelson and Rodgers LOVES Nelson.

We can replace Welker with someone on the FA market for less than he gets, the same cant be said with Decker.

I already pointed out the TE market is pretty cheap.

No one makes crazy money for TE's.

So you'd rather have 33 year old Welker who isnt what he was in NE but will let go Decker entering his prime for nothing.

Facepalm x100.

Comment

Decker has everything but the Broncos don't have the space. If you weren't paying attention, we already have a number one guy on the roster that does everything Decker does but better.
          Captain obvious DT is better, who says they cant keep both?

Just like it is on defense with 2 elite pass-rushers, its harder for a defense to gameplan around 2 very good receivers rather than one.

Comment

That's the number I've seen. I doubt that he will take a two year deal, he will probably be looking for at least 4 but most likely 5. Welker and DT are still on contract for one more year. We won't resign Welker but we will resign DT, probably for 5 or 6 years and it will probably be 10 million + each season.

I believe that only two receivers on the roster will get long term, big-dollar deals. Let's say that DT is a go, that leaves another deal to go to either Decker or J. Thomas. I believe that the Broncos would be better off letting Decker go and let it ride on J. Thomas. Manning is still under contract for three years and I don't think he needs Decker to be successful. However, the next QB here will need playmakers on the outside and, more importantly, a playmaker that can work the middle of the field the way that J. Thomas can.

I would let Decker walk because of that reason.

8 million per year for 4 or 5 years for him is overpaying him IMO. Don't get me wrong, he is a good receiver but he isn't a guy you build your franchise around. He is the type of guy that can put up huge numbers and can be a difference maker but he isn't a guy that causes apparent mismatches no matter where he is lined up. J. Thomas has the potential to be that guy. I would rather the Broncos let Decker go and see how J. Thomas develops because I would rather have a guy a dynamic tight end than a good wide receiver.

Manning will do well either way but the next QB will probably be more successful with a fully developed J. Thomas than Eric Decker.

The bottom line is that the Broncos have a very talented roster and won't be able to keep everyone. Management will have to make tough decisions for the future of this team and between all of the guys the Broncos have, you have to let Decker go unless he chooses to stay under market value or under a short term contract.
            Agree totally .I think we could keep decker cheap for two years.Sign him to a four year contract but backload most of it so that he gets two more years with manning and when peyton retires we then cut(sadly)decker in year 3 when brock takes over and we draft our next WR in the first round of 2016 draft.That way we get the all in on Peyton the next two years but also I think Brock will prosper getting a new talented WR also that he can work exclusively with from day one.We can probably do the same with morenos contract aswell re 2 years low then years 3 and 4 backloaded.

Comment

• Someone tell me realistically who replaces Decker with.

If anyone honestly says Caldwell, this discussion is over.

There are a glute of options to replace Welker out there.

Same cant be said with Decker.

Comment

• Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                Captain obvious DT is better, who says they cant keep both?

Just like it is on defense with 2 elite pass-rushers, its harder for a defense to gameplan around 2 very good receivers rather than one.
                I do.

You think they can keep all three, I say it's impossible. The Broncos currently have 2 big contracts on offense and one on defense. If you had your way, they would have 4 big contracts on offense in two years and only one on defense. That's building a team on an inherently unbalanced way. We paid Manning so much money because he can get more out of everyone, yet you insist on paying the offensive players more money. The Broncos need more defense but keeping Decker and Thomas will hurt that effort.

Comment

I do.

You think they can keep all three, I say it's impossible. The Broncos currently have 2 big contracts on offense and one on defense. If you had your way, they would have 4 big contracts on offense in two years and only one on defense. That's building a team on an inherently unbalanced way. We paid Manning so much money because he can get more out of everyone, yet you insist on paying the offensive players more money. The Broncos need more defense but keeping Decker and Thomas will hurt that effort.
                  Backload the contract, it replaces Welker's who will be gone in 2 years.

Along with many, many other contracts.

Problem solved.

And the cap is going to go up.

They can keep all 3 of Julius/DT/Decker if structured right.

Lets do some math.

Say DT makes 10-11, Decker makes 8, Julius makes 5-6.

Thats around 23 million for 3 playmakers on offense, not bad.

Champ is off the books in 2 years, maybe next year, DT's money goes to him. Tamme/Dreesen off the books in 2 years, that money goes to Julius.

Welker and other contracts go to Decker.

Ezpz.

/thread

Hell, if Manning is gone in 2 years, his money alone could go to two of them.

PLENTY of ways.
                  Last edited by ERoyal248; 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Someone tell me realistically who replaces Decker with.

If anyone honestly says Caldwell, this discussion is over.

There are a glute of options to replace Welker out there.

Same cant be said with Decker.
                    There isn't one guy you would replace him with. You would start with Caldwell, draft a new WR and scheme your plays to other parts of the offense.

Comment

Backload the contract, it replaces Welker's who will be gone in 2 years.

Along with many, many other contracts.

Problem solved.

And the cap is going to go up.

They can keep all 3 of Julius/DT/Decker if structured right.
                      The cap hasn't been raised in two years. Back loading contracts is a terrible idea because you never know how much value you will have out of every dollar committed to each player in the future. The goal of team building is to have a good core of guys at all times so that you can drop in a great QB and become a great team. That will mean you have to drop people along the way.

Comment

That's the number I've seen. I doubt that he will take a two year deal, he will probably be looking for at least 4 but most likely 5. Welker and DT are still on contract for one more year. We won't resign Welker but we will resign DT, probably for 5 or 6 years and it will probably be 10 million + each season.

I believe that only two receivers on the roster will get long term, big-dollar deals. Let's say that DT is a go, that leaves another deal to go to either Decker or J. Thomas. I believe that the Broncos would be better off letting Decker go and let it ride on J. Thomas. Manning is still under contract for three years and I don't think he needs Decker to be successful. However, the next QB here will need playmakers on the outside and, more importantly, a playmaker that can work the middle of the field the way that J. Thomas can.

I would let Decker walk because of that reason.
                        Decker works the middle of the field pretty well himself......
                        sigpic

Comment

Decker has everything but the Broncos don't have the space. If you weren't paying attention, we already have a number one guy on the roster that does everything Decker does but better. I like Decker but he is going to have to be a casualty of a very talented roster.

You can't pay everyone.
                          Depending on how we do his contract, there is room. Looks like we won't be re-signing Woodyard, Beadles may not be re-signed, Bailey may be released or asked to take a paycut, Ayers and Phillips probably won't be re-sign (possibly replaced Q. Smith and a Rookie) Kuper will probably be gone. Money isn't the issue.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                            Decker works the middle of the field pretty well himself......
                            I agree.

What kind of mismatches does he pose though? He is a good route runner and has good hands. However, there are lots of guys in this league that can do that, especially with Manning at the helm.

Comment

The cap hasn't been raised in two years. Back loading contracts is a terrible idea because you never know how much value you will have out of every dollar committed to each player in the future. The goal of team building is to have a good core of guys at all times so that you can drop in a great QB and become a great team. That will mean you have to drop people along the way.
                              Actually, it did.

The cap now is 121-123, next year its 126 million.

It will keep going up.

As i said, 23 million for all 3 of Julius/DT/Decker is attainable.

Read my edited post.

And i already stated which players will be let go.

Comment

I agree.

What kind of mismatches does he pose though? He is a good route runner and has good hands. However, there are lots of guys in this league that can do that, especially with Manning at the helm.
                                Like who, and how are we going to obtain them?

He's 6-3, a good route runner, solid hands, GREAT in the Red-Zone.

Good in the middle of the field.

What more can you ask for?

Comment

Working...
                                X