Moreno/Decker Free agents after season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JayJack View Post
    Depending on how we do his contract, there is room. Looks like we won't be re-signing Woodyard, Beadles may not be re-signed, Bailey may be released or asked to take a paycut, Ayers and Phillips probably won't be re-sign (possibly replaced Q. Smith and a Rookie) Kuper will probably be gone. Money isn't the issue.
    Money is always an issue in professional sports and committing around 18 million/year to two receivers and 20 million/year to a quarterback will restrict what the Broncos can do on Defense. It will lead to a situation where the Broncos would end up letting go of two or more players that would otherwise be no brainers in terms of re-signings. These are the kinds of guys that aren't the best players on your roster but who perform well and strengthen your team.

Those types players getting away from the Broncos killed the Shannahan era.

Comment

• Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
      I do.

You think they can keep all three, I say it's impossible. The Broncos currently have 2 big contracts on offense and one on defense. If you had your way, they would have 4 big contracts on offense in two years and only one on defense. That's building a team on an inherently unbalanced way. We paid Manning so much money because he can get more out of everyone, yet you insist on paying the offensive players more money. The Broncos need more defense but keeping Decker and Thomas will hurt that effort.
      How much cap room will they have? Who will they cut? What fa will they sign? I am guessing you cant answer any of those questions and thus...have no idea who they can, and can´t afford.....

Champs contract alone would cover decker.
      sigpic

Comment

Decker has everything but the Broncos don't have the space. If you weren't paying attention, we already have a number one guy on the roster that does everything Decker does but better. I like Decker but he is going to have to be a casualty of a very talented roster.

You can't pay everyone.
        I already stated the bottom.

Woodyard is probably let go, as is Beadles unless he'd sign for cheap, as is Ayers replaced by some combo of Quantarus/McCray/Youboty/rookie/Phillips for cheap.

Dreessen may be a cap casualty, as is Kuper and Champ will have to take a significant paycut.

Kuper would free 5 million, Dreessen around 3 million, and Champ would free 10 million.

Thats 18 on top of the 8 they have which would give them around 20 million to spend. More than enough.

Hell, if Manning takes a paycut, that could give them even more to work with.

Comment

I agree.

What kind of mismatches does he pose though? He is a good route runner and has good hands. However, there are lots of guys in this league that can do that, especially with Manning at the helm.

The same could be said of JT. Why doesnt your argument apply to him?
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
            Like who, and how are we going to obtain them?

He's 6-3, a good route runner, solid hands, GREAT in the Red-Zone.

Good in the middle of the field.

What more can you ask for?
            8 million could go to keep three good players. The Broncos have two other players that can do what he does. What more do I want? I want to keep those three good players over the one good receiver especially given the current make-up of the Broncos roster.

Comment

Money is always an issue in professional sports and committing around 18 million/year to two receivers and 20 million/year to a quarterback will restrict what the Broncos can do on Defense. It will lead to a situation where the Broncos would end up letting go of two or more players that would otherwise be no brainers in terms of re-signings. These are the kinds of guys that aren't the best players on your roster but who perform well and strengthen your team.

Signing a player coming off back to back 1,200+ yard, 10+ TD seasons hurt them, who was that?

Comment

That $20M qb contract will be gone in a year or 2......
                sigpic

Comment

8 million could go to keep three good players. The Broncos have two other players that can do what he does. What more do I want? I want to keep those three good players over the one good receiver especially given the current make-up of the Broncos roster.
                  Which 3 are these.

In this, you keep 3 players around 2.5 million a year.

I'll take a good/great player over a depth-type of player.

Manning isnt going to play much longer, his contract can go to some of the younger players.

Also, whose to say he doesnt re-do his deal to keep Decker who he likes alot?

Comment

What two players would those be????
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                      [/B]

The same could be said of JT. Why doesnt your argument apply to him?
                      Because he is a tight end and tight ends are typically covered by linebackers. He is too fast for a linebacker (mismatch one). They could opt to cover him with a safety but he is too big for them (mismatch two). He is 6'5" and 250 pounds.

J Thomas is like a offensive tackle that can run playing tight end. There aren't too many guys in the NFL that can boast that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                        Which 3 are these.

In this, you keep 3 players around 2.5 million a year.

I'll take a good/great player over a depth-type of player.

Manning isnt going to play much longer, his contract can go to some of the younger players.

Also, whose to say he doesnt re-do his deal to keep Decker who he likes alot?
                        Half of the salary cap in two years would be tied up in Manning, Decker, Thomas and Clady. You don't see any issues with that?

The Broncos have a record offense with Manning and the widow will only be open with him so long as they have a talented roster. They will not have a talented roster if they try to pay everyone.

I don't know which three players that the Broncos would keep in his wake but in a couple of years you would be scratching your head like, "they didn't keep that guy?"

It happened all the time with the Broncos under Shannahan.

I remember a couple of years where the Broncos had two or three players who led the team in sacks during their contract year. Each time they went to a new team. One of the was Bertrand Berry and I believe he had two more good years after he left the Broncos.

Is he a game changer? Nope. However the Broncos sorely missed a pass rush in a lot of games late in Shannahan's tenure.
                        Last edited by PunchDrunk; 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Welker only makes 2 Mil a year..

Beadles is a key resign..

Priority
                          1 DRC
                          2 decker
                          3 beadles

Comment

• Originally posted by MHOC View Post
                            Welker only makes 2 Mil a year..

Priority
                            1 DRC
                            2 decker
                            3 beadles
                            Welker makes 6-7.

Im not sure who 3 is, i'd keep Beadles if he's sign for cheap.

Otherwise i'd just sign a cheap veteran for a 1-yr deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by MHOC View Post
                              Welker only makes 2 Mil a year..

Priority
                              1 DRC
                              2 decker
                              3 beadles
                              Welker signed a 2 year $12 mil contract. All of it is guaranteed.
                              sigpic

Comment

Half of the salary cap in two years would be tied up in Manning, Decker, Thomas and Clady. You don't see any issues with that?

The Broncos have a record offense with Manning and the widow will only be open with him so long as they have a talented roster. They will not have a talented roster if they try to pay everyone.

I don't know which three players that the Broncos would keep in his wake but in a couple of years you would be scratching your head like, "they didn't keep that guy?"

It happened all the time with the Broncos under Shannahan.

I remember a couple of years where the Broncos had two or three players who led the team in sacks during their contract year. Each time they went to a new team. One of the was Bertrand Berry and I believe he had two more good years after he left the Broncos.

Is he a game changer? Nope. However the Broncos sorely missed a pass rush in a lot of games late in Shannahan's tenure.
                                Whose to say Manning will still be playing by then, yes there would be issues but its an offensive driven league.

Comment

Working...
                                X