Moreno/Decker Free agents after season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
    The NFL is a revolving door because the moment a player looks good, he has market value. The salary cap limits keeping lots of the same players around, hence the reason there are virtually never dynasties anymore. It works because the NFL is watched in every single market, unlike other sports which have become mostly regional.

Seattle won't stay this good for long, for example. A lot of their impact players make less than $2 million a year under rookie/PS/UDFA contracts, but will soon start demanding the big bucks. Do you really think Russell Wilson will stay on for $350K a year? That's how a franchise eventually loses quality depth and the injuries have a much bigger impact.
    Yeah I know. That's the part that sucks about it though. Like I said, I can understand guys like Wilson, he's gonna get PAID when his time is due. But there are a ton of quality role players that teams let go for minimal monetary differences and lose that quality depth that is so vital in keeping consistent winning. They opt for that vet min F/A who is usually to far gone if he is called on to play.

But again, unfortunately u are right, that's just how it is in today's NFL.
    #swapping

Comment

We are going to have to spend our money wisely the next few seasons as we have quite a few important players that are going to need to be signed and we want to make sure that our salaries can accommodate them as they come due.

I think DT, Von, JT, Decker, Moreno, Wolfe, ManRam, just to name a few that will need to be addressed sooner than later and we have to be wise when and how we spend our money. As much as we would like to keep all of our players that is not always possible in the salary cap era.

I think this is why Elway & Co have been doing a lot of shorter terms on some of these players. I think Elway will make the right decisions for us going into the future.
      sigpic
      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Well, I wasn't too popular for saying that I haven't been impressed with Moreno. Yeah, he has been a good blocker, but his career-best season is barely a thousand yards. He has no speed and with teams not stacking the box to play the run, any RB worth their salt should've had a Terrell Davis year and gotten twice the yardage Moreno has. This just tells me he has no real skill at the position. Should we sign him purely because he picked up his effort? What happens in the next year or two when Manning retires and teams once again stack the box because they no longer fear the pass? Moreno will go back to being what he was before. He's had a mediocre year at best and I don't think he should be re-signed. Ball has already shown he has more skill, explosiveness and speed in his rookie season and would probably be starting right now if it wasn't for early fumbling issues. I know I will probably get bashed for it, but I just don't see the talent and the money can be better spent elsewhere. We drafted RBs for a reason...

Decker definitely does have talent. He's had an up-and-down year...either on fire or totally silent. I think he is still learning and worth bringing back in as a decent number 2, but for the right price. I want all of our WRs to stay put and continue to develop chemistry, so it will be easier when Manning does take his leave.

Our offense is amazing. We need to put as much effort and money into fixing the defense as possible. but we will transition to being more run-heavy eventually. It's weird thinking about this team post-Manning :/
        Last edited by Saucy; 12-26-2013, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Despite a lot of people's negative feelings towards him, I would much rather keep Decker than Moreno. He already has the good relationship with Manning and knows the offense inside-out. A new WR would be a lot more difficult to integrate into the offense than giving more carries to Ball and Hillman. I would not mind keeping Knowshon though, but I think th ecoaching staff might be ready to move on with their two recently drafted RBs... Who knows though?

Comment

both guys are replaceable.... ask McGahee who was the 'go to ' back last year... Moreno has the confidence of Peyton in the clutch... Ball, not yet.. Decker is good, not great.. you can always get Tamme's to replace the Welkers and Caldwells to replace the Deckers and not lose that much... cuz Peyton is throwing... cap it tight, keep'em if the price is right....

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
              We are going to have to spend our money wisely the next few seasons as we have quite a few important players that are going to need to be signed and we want to make sure that our salaries can accommodate them as they come due.

I think DT, Von, JT, Decker, Moreno, Wolfe, ManRam, just to name a few that will need to be addressed sooner than later and we have to be wise when and how we spend our money. As much as we would like to keep all of our players that is not always possible in the salary cap era.

I think this is why Elway & Co have been doing a lot of shorter terms on some of these players. I think Elway will make the right decisions for us going into the future.
              ManRam signed a 2-yr extension this year but the rest along with others are due bigger deals soon.

Elway/Sullivan have their work cut out for sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by snewguy View Post
                both guys are replaceable.... ask McGahee who was the 'go to ' back last year... Moreno has the confidence of Peyton in the clutch... Ball, not yet.. Decker is good, not great.. you can always get Tamme's to replace the Welkers and Caldwells to replace the Deckers and not lose that much... cuz Peyton is throwing... cap it tight, keep'em if the price is right....
                Caldwell replacing Decker, ha, yeah right.

Tamme/Caldwell replacing Decker/Welker is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                  Caldwell replacing Decker, ha, yeah right.

Tamme/Caldwell replacing Decker/Welker is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade.
                  I would have to agree that would be a downgrade. Caldwell is a good backup WR and nothing more. Tamme is a TE not a slot receiver.

These players would not even come close to replacing Decker and Welker.
                  sigpic
                  Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                  2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                  2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Take this for what you will, probably means nothing.

The Locker Room @ESPNLockerRoom
                    “He’s a brother of mine, he’s a part of the family.” -Eric Decker on D.T. being in his family’s Christmas card. #Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by Colem9r View Post
                      Both are free agents after this season. What do you think? Moreno has been a workhorse for the broncos the last couple of years and should remain a bronco. I think Decker should be resigned also as long as its not at too much of a price. The receiving corps is good know and his spot can be replaced in the draft.
                      We should keep both...
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, this won't be popular, but spend a top Draft Choice on a WR, pick up a RB in FA, and let both Moreno (slow, injury prone) and Decker (has hit his ceiling) go. And, I say that realizing that there's a lot to like about both of them. I especially admire Moreno's work ethic and desire. But, he was slow before the ACL, and I can't help but think Ball is going to take over. And Decker has had a great season. I just can't see spending the kind of money that it will take to keep those 2 guys.

Comment

Decker needs to be resigned, and Peyton needs to restructure (if need be) to make sure that it happens. Knowshon has been awesome this season but lets face it, RB is a lot easier to replace than WR, imo.

Comment

$15.625 million is guaranteed.
                            I think the Broncos will make an honest effort to re-sign both players .

I think with Decker it will come down to the amount guaranteed money as compared to what other teams are offering him..I think with Moreno it will come down to whether or not they try to bring him back .. I don't think the Broncos will offer anything in the way of spectaclur to Moreno and I think the market for him will about similar..

Comment

Originally posted by Saucy View Post
                              Well, I wasn't too popular for saying that I haven't been impressed with Moreno. Yeah, he has been a good blocker, but his career-best season is barely a thousand yards. He has no speed and with teams not stacking the box to play the run, any RB worth their salt should've had a Terrell Davis year and gotten twice the yardage Moreno has. This just tells me he has no real skill at the position. Should we sign him purely because he picked up his effort? What happens in the next year or two when Manning retires and teams once again stack the box because they no longer fear the pass? Moreno will go back to being what he was before. He's had a mediocre year at best and I don't think he should be re-signed. Ball has already shown he has more skill, explosiveness and speed in his rookie season and would probably be starting right now if it wasn't for early fumbling issues. I know I will probably get bashed for it, but I just don't see the talent and the money can be better spent elsewhere. We drafted RBs for a reason...

Decker definitely does have talent. He's had an up-and-down year...either on fire or totally silent. I think he is still learning and worth bringing back in as a decent number 2, but for the right price. I want all of our WRs to stay put and continue to develop chemistry, so it will be easier when Manning does take his leave.

Our offense is amazing. We need to put as much effort and money into fixing the defense as possible. but we will transition to being more run-heavy eventually. It's weird thinking about this team post-Manning :/
                              A Terrell Davis year?!?!? HA. You mean with massive 15 carries a game Moreno is lucky to get! Are you forgetting that Moreno did something this year that even Terrell Davis didn't do, 1000 yards rushing and 500 receiving with double digit touchdowns! Moreno has worked and worked and has turned his weaknesses into strengths and deserves to be back with the team.

Moreno had one game this year where we put it on his shoulders and he didn't disappoint with huge 200+ Yard game against the pats.
                              Last edited by crash123go; 12-27-2013, 03:32 AM.
                              A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                                Take this for what you will, probably means nothing.

The Locker Room @ESPNLockerRoom
                                “He’s a brother of mine, he’s a part of the family.” -Eric Decker on D.T. being in his family’s Christmas card. #Broncos
                                If the team is that important to decker then he should have no problem taking a good paycut to stay with the team. He doesn't need the money anyways, his wife makes 3 times as much as him and so he should take a small contract
                                A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Working...
                                X