X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    Originally posted by JayJack View Post
    Smh...just crazy. Decker has everything you want in a #1 receiver besides the "elite" speed. And even without the "elite" speed, he still finds a way to get behind the coverage (good route running does that). And his blocking ability can't be slept on by anybody.
    Decker has everything but the Broncos don't have the space. If you weren't paying attention, we already have a number one guy on the roster that does everything Decker does but better. I like Decker but he is going to have to be a casualty of a very talented roster.

You can't pay everyone.

Leave a comment:

• JayJack
    replied
    Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    Yes, absolutely. I want to keep Welker right now because that's a move that make the Broncos better today. Letting Decker go won't necessarily hurt the performance of this offense today because they Broncos can replace him with another guy or two guys. What does Decker do that is irreplaceable? Other than his size, I would say nothing. He has good hands and can play the slot if needed but that's it.

The Broncos need to balance the needs of today with the needs of tomorrow. J. Thomas is the kind of guy that is too big for a safety or corner back and too fast for a linebacker. He understands body positioning but he is really still learning how to play football.

Thomas is the kind of player that will make his QB better. Decker is the type of player that Manning helps to a huge contract.
    Smh...just crazy. Decker has everything you want in a #1 receiver besides the "elite" speed. And even without the "elite" speed, he still finds a way to get behind the coverage (good route running does that). And his blocking ability can't be slept on by anybody.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    So you'd rather have Welker at 33 for 1-2 million less than Decker whose 6-7 years older?

It's much easier to replace Welker than it is Decker.

I agree that they will have to let some guys go, players like Woodyard, Beadles, Ayers to name a few are some i think are gone due to contracts.

Klis just said a few days ago he thinks Decker will get around 8 million which would be fair.

Also, the TE market contract wise is fairly cheap.

Outside of Gronk and eventually Graham, its fairly cheap.

Looking at others TE's.

Gates makes around 5-6, Witten is around 6-7, even Gronk makes around 6-7.

Its a fairly cheap market for contracts.

So they can keep all 3 of Julius/DT/Decker.

Provided the contracts are fair.

A big, TE is good for the next QB whoever the hell that is but its also big to have two, big receivers who they can throw it too even if its not a good throw, they can come down with it.
    Yes, absolutely. I want to keep Welker right now because that's a move that make the Broncos better today. Letting Decker go won't necessarily hurt the performance of this offense today because they Broncos can replace him with another guy or two guys. What does Decker do that is irreplaceable? Other than his size, I would say nothing. He has good hands and can play the slot if needed but that's it.

The Broncos need to balance the needs of today with the needs of tomorrow. J. Thomas is the kind of guy that is too big for a safety or corner back and too fast for a%2
    Last edited by PunchDrunk; 01-02-2014, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ELWAY421
    replied
    Keep Decker over Welker all day long.....

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied

8 million per year for 4 or 5 years for him is overpaying him IMO. Don't get me wrong, he is a good receiver but he isn't a guy you build your franchise around. He is the type of guy that can put up huge numbers and can be a difference maker but he isn't a guy that causes apparent mismatches no matter where he is lined up. J. Thomas has the potential to be that guy. I would rather the Broncos let Decker go and see how J. Thomas develops because I would rather have a guy a dynamic tight end than a good wide receiver.

Manning will do well either way but the next QB will probably be more successful with a fully developed J. Thomas than Eric Decker.

The bottom line is that the Broncos have a very talented roster and won't be able to keep everyone. Management will have to make tough decisions for the future of this team and between all of the guys the Broncos have, you have to let Decker go unless he chooses to stay under market value or under a short term contract.
    So you'd rather have Welker at 33 for 1-2 million less than Decker whose 6-7 years older?

It's much easier to replace Welker than it is Decker.

I agree that they will have to let some guys go, players like Woodyard, Beadles, Ayers to name a few are some i think are gone due to contracts.

Klis just said a few days ago he thinks Decker will get around 8 million which would be fair.

Also, the TE market contract wise is fairly cheap.

Outside of Gronk and eventually Graham, its fairly cheap.

Looking at others TE's.

Gates makes around 5-6, Witten is around 6-7, even Gronk makes around 6-7.

Its a fairly cheap market for contracts.

So they can keep all 3 of Julius/DT/Decker.

Provided the contracts are fair.

A big, TE is good for the next QB whoever the hell that is but its also big to have two, big receivers who they can throw it too even if its not a good throw, they can come down with it.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    that has nothing to do with you saying he will get $9m/year...........

I think it is also a stretch to say he is #4 most important receiver. Welker is entering the downside of his career and has had multiple concussions and Decker has been a more productive receiver than JT.
    That's the number I've seen. I doubt that he will take a two year deal, he will probably be looking for at least 4 but most likely 5. Welker and DT are still on contract for one more year. We won't resign Welker but we will resign DT, probably for 5 or 6 years and it will probably be 10 million + each season.

I believe that only two receivers on the roster will get long term, big-dollar deals. Let's say that DT is a go, that leaves another deal to go to either Decker or J. Thomas. I believe that the Broncos would be better off letting Decker go and let it ride on J. Thomas. Manning is still under contract for three years and I don't think he needs Decker to be successful. However, the next QB here will need playmakers on the outside and, more importantly, a playmaker that can work the middle of the field the way that J. Thomas can.

I would let Decker walk because of that reason.

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    I'd actually agree with Ball.

But if we could get KnoMo for 3 years, 10 million total that would be good.

And no one knows what Decker will get, so we can speculate all you want.

Also, Klis said in an article i posted he'll get around 8 million a year which is more than fair for both sides.
    8 million per year for 4 or 5 years for him is overpaying him IMO. Don't get me wrong, he is a good receiver but he isn't a guy you build your franchise around. He is the type of guy that can put up huge numbers and can be a difference maker but he isn't a guy that causes apparent mismatches no matter where he is lined up. J. Thomas has the potential to be that guy. I would rather the Broncos let Decker go and see how J. Thomas develops because I would rather have a guy a dynamic tight end than a good wide receiver.

Manning will do well either way but the next QB will probably be more successful with a fully developed J. Thomas than Eric Decker.

The bottom line is that the Broncos have a very talented roster and won't be able to keep everyone. Management will have to make tough decisions for the future of this team and between all of the guys the Broncos have, you have to let Decker go unless he chooses to stay under market value or under a short term contract.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    The numbers have to line up recognizing that he is the fourth most important receiver on this team. D. Thomas, Welker and J. Thomas are all more important.
    that has nothing to do with you saying he will get $9m/year...........

I think it is also a stretch to say he is #4 most important receiver. Welker is entering the downside of his career and has had multiple concussions and Decker has been a more productive receiver than JT.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    I honestly wouldn't keep either one. I would lean heavily on Ball at running back, start Caldwell and draft another WR. There is no way the Broncos should pay Decker $9 million + per season when they are looking at potential new contracts for D. Thomas and Von Miller next year. On top of that, the Broncos will need to lock J. Thomas if he keeps up his performance. No player is better for helping a young QB than a talented Tight End.

That said, if Moreno could sign for 3 years 10 million, it would be worth it given that it would pair him up with Manning for the remainder of Manning's contract.
    I'd actually agree with Ball.

But if we could get KnoMo for 3 years, 10 million total that would be good.

And no one knows what Decker will get, so we can speculate all you want.

Also, Klis said in an article i posted he'll get around 8 million a year which is more than fair for both sides.

Leave a comment:

• JayJack
    replied
    The numbers have to line up recognizing that he is the fourth most important receiver on this team. D. Thomas, Welker and J. Thomas are all more important.
    What? In 2012 Decker had 85 rec for 1,064 and 13 TDs WITHOUT J. Thomas and Welker.

This year he had 87 rec for 1,288 and 11 TDs with JT and Welker missing games.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Welker will be 33, and hes had concussion problems.

All i'll say is if they give Welker 6-7 million, they better give Decker a good deal given his production up to this point.

And no one knows what he will get.

Also, outside of Von and DT, none of the other contract will hit 10+ million.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I keep reading that # here. Why don't we all wait until we see what he is actually offered/worth before we go throwing those #s around. For all we know, they will re-sign him for a reasonable price before he ever hits the market.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    I honestly wouldn't keep either one. I would lean heavily on Ball at running back, start Caldwell and draft another WR. There is no way the Broncos should pay Decker $9 million + per season when they are looking at potential new contracts for D. Thomas and Von Miller next year. On top of that, the Broncos will need to lock J. Thomas if he keeps up his performance. No player is better for helping a young QB than a talented Tight End.

That said, if Moreno could sign for 3 years 10 million, it would be worth it given that it would pair him up with Manning for the remainder of Manning's contract.
    I keep reading that # here. Why don't we all wait until we see what he is actually offered/worth before we go throwing those #s around. For all we know, they will re-sign him for a reasonable price before he ever hits the market.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
    Decker and Thomas are one of the best receiving dues in the league. They must stay together, there relationship with each other are like Brothers. You just simply don't split one of the best! The situation can compare with Rod Smith and Ed McCaffery and Denver never split them up.
    No. Keep both Thomases. Those are the two players that would define the Broncos offense for a decade.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JayJack
    replied
    Looking at recent contracts from the 2013 Free Agent RB class, I thing Re-signing Knowshon to a 3yr $10.5 mil deal is fair.

Stephen Jackson 3/$12
    Shonne Green 3/10

Keep in mind, Jamaal Charles current contract is for 6yrs $27.97 mil contract (averaging close to $5 mil per). I know Charles deserves way more than that, but there's no way we give Knowshon more than that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X