Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JayJack
    replied
    This may not count for anything, but I don't get the feeling that Thomas, Decker, and Thomas are gonna try and break the bank. I think as long as the offer is respectable, they will sign. Chris Harris concerns me though.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Originally posted by JayJack View Post
    Obviously Elway new the time was coming when we were going to have to re-sign our guys to some nice contracts. Here are the Free Agents that Elway has signed since he became our VPOFO.

Free Agent in 2014
    Mike Adams
    Stewart Bradley
    Andre Caldwell
    Michael Huff
    Quentin Jammer
    Winston Justice
    Paris Lenon
    Jeremy Mincey
    Shaun Phillips
    Steve Vallos
    Wesley Woodyard
    Dan Koppen
    ***Possibly Dominique Rogers-Cromartie***

Free Agents in 2015
    Wes Welker
    Kevin Vickerson
    Jacob Tamme
    Joel Dreessen
    Champ Bailey

The way Elway set this up tells me that he's very aware of our re-signings coming up. Elway also mentioned last year that he's looking forward to/expecting our younger guys to step up. I strongly believe we will re-sign most of our FAs while filling in the gaps with inexpensive but productive FAs.

This list does not include our current drafted players that are FAs.
    Adams, Mincey, SP, and Woodyard are the only ones for 2014 i'd bring back.

2015 OTOH, gonna be tough but every team faces that problem.

Leave a comment:

• JayJack
    replied
    Obviously Elway new the time was coming when we were going to have to re-sign our guys to some nice contracts. Here are the Free Agents that Elway has signed since he became our VPOFO.

Free Agent in 2014
    Mike Adams
    Stewart Bradley
    Andre Caldwell
    Michael Huff
    Quentin Jammer
    Winston Justice
    Paris Lenon
    Jeremy Mincey
    Shaun Phillips
    Steve Vallos
    Wesley Woodyard
    Dan Koppen
    ***Possibly Dominique Rogers-Cromartie***

Free Agents in 2015
    Wes Welker
    Kevin Vickerson
    Jacob Tamme
    Joel Dreessen
    Champ Bailey

The way Elway set this up tells me that he's very aware of our re-signings coming up. Elway also mentioned last year that he's looking forward to/expecting our younger guys to step up. I strongly believe we will re-sign most of our FAs while filling in the gaps with inexpensive but productive FAs.

This list does not include our current drafted players that are FAs.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    Manning isnt going to play out the entire deal.

It's basically a 3-yr deal, with a 4th-year option, and a 5th year option.

But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

You think he plays out the entire contract?
    No. I don't think he will.

However, I would rather ensure that the team has flexibility to handle it if he does. I don't want the Broncos cutting everyone they can during his last year to get under the salary cap. That would be doing a disservice to him and the fans of this team.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    Two on offense, two on defense. That's balanced spending.

You would have the Broncos at 49 million for 4 players on offense alone. Von would probably be seeing 10 million on defense.

That's unbalanced.

Balanced, unbalanced. Big difference.
    Manning isnt going to play out the entire deal.

It's basically a 3-yr deal, with a 4th-year option, and a 5th year option.

But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

You think he plays out the entire contract?

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    And i already told you the money coming off the books to keep all 3 of Julius/Decker/Thomas in 2 years.

Again, Moore isnt going to command much more than 4-5 million.

Those 3 are but those are huge cap hits, that means they have to let go of some bigger paid guys.

If they did that, with Harvin's contract, thats 53+ million for 4 players.
    Two on offense, two on defense. That's balanced spending.

You would have the Broncos at 49 million for 4 players on offense alone (edit: PM, Decker, DT, and Clady). Von would probably be seeing 10 million on defense.

That's unbalanced.

Balanced, unbalanced. Big difference.

Not only that, you are operating under the assumption that Manning would be gone in two years, so who is going to throw the ball to all this money?

WRs aren't a good investment without a QB.
    Last edited by PunchDrunk; 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Originally posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
    Decker can be replaced while PFM is throwing the balls.History will tell you that.Decker is good but the man throwing the balls is brilliant.
    I agree but if you asked Manning, he'd rather have Decker and not start over with a guy he doesnt have much chemistry with.

Its already been pointed out the money can work.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Those are three game breakers. Decker isn't a game breaker.

You haven't been reading what I have to say. 8 million for Decker has to be replaced somewhere and it could be that a guy like Moore, who should easily be kept, would get let go. Multiply that by three.

You have to consider all of this when looking at this roster. Today, you have to believe that Manning will play out his contract until he says he won't. Signing guys like he won't finish it out is stupid, junior.
    And i already told you the money coming off the books to keep all 3 of Julius/Decker/Thomas in 2 years.

Again, Moore isnt going to command much more than 4-5 million.

Those 3 are but those are huge cap hits, that means they have to let go of some bigger paid guys.

If they did that, with Harvin's contract, thats 53+ million for 4 players.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    We're 3 points less than the team who is 10th in scoring defense for that sieve of a defense.

That with a lot of key players on defense out, worst in the league, child please.

How much do you expect Moore to cost, and again, Safety money isnt that much either, 3-5 million maybe for him at most.

And again, Manning isnt going to play out the entire contract, i think at most next year, and maybe the year after, but thats about it.

Even still, they can keep all 3 of Julius/Decker/DT if the deals are strucutred right.

Using your logic, Seattle may have to commit 1/3 of their cap to Earl Thomas (10-12 mil), Sherman (15+ mil), and Wilson (17-20 mil) in 2 years, should they let either of them walk to have more cap flexibility?

Thats 42 million to 3 players if my estimates are right, maybe more if Wilson commands 20+.

Note: EVERY team faces this problem, junior.
    Those are three game breakers. Decker isn't a game breaker.

You haven't been reading what I have to say. 8 million for Decker has to be replaced somewhere and it could be that a guy like Moore, who should easily be kept, would get let go. Multiply that by three.

You have to consider all of this when looking at this roster. Today, you have to believe that Manning will play out his contract until he says he won't. Signing guys like he won't finish it out is stupid, junior.
    Last edited by PunchDrunk; 01-02-2014, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AussieBronco76
    replied
    Someone tell me realistically who replaces Decker with.

If anyone honestly says Caldwell, this discussion is over.

There are a glute of options to replace Welker out there.

Same cant be said with Decker.

Decker can be replaced while PFM is throwing the balls.History will tell you that.Decker is good but the man throwing the balls is brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Well the Broncos defense is bad right now and with the salary cap restrictions in place, any new big contract on offense has the potential to make the Broncos defense worse.

And I have a perfect example of the type of player that could potentially be kept with Decker's money: Rahim Moore. He won't make tons of money but he is a solid player for our defense and one that will be a no-brainer when his contract comes due. What would happen to our defense if three Rahim Moores left?

It would be number 32 in the league. That's what.

Also, if most teams are prioritizing offense over defense wouldn't mean that the players on offense are inherently overpaid compared to their defensive counterparts? Supply and demand would seem to indicate that it is so.
    We're 3 points less than the team who is 10th in scoring defense for that sieve of a defense.

That with a lot of key players on defense out, worst in the league, child please.

How much do you expect Moore to cost, and again, Safety money isnt that much either, 3-5 million maybe for him at most.

And again, Manning isnt going to play out the entire contract, i think at most next year, and maybe the year after, but thats about it.

Even still, they can keep all 3 of Julius/Decker/DT if the deals are strucutred right.

Using your logic, Seattle may have to commit 1/3 of their cap to Earl Thomas (10-12 mil), Sherman (15+ mil), and Wilson (17-20 mil) in 2 years, should they let either of them walk to have more cap flexibility?

Thats 42 million to 3 players if my estimates are right, maybe more if Wilson commands 20+.

Note: EVERY team faces this problem, junior.

Leave a comment:

• Iron Clady
    replied
    We will have enough to pay Decker at 8 million along with DT and JT with contracts coming off the book.

The design is keeping the nucleus and replacing the others cheaply through the draft and FA.

Building the roster is always an ongoing process. Many times when someone is ready for a big raise, someone else who has a big salary isn't what they used to be and can be let go.

Leave a comment:

• JayJack
    replied
    These are the tough decisions that Elway has to make. Personally, I think we can re-sign Thomas, Decker and JT and be just fine. I'd be shock if Manning plays out the entire contract. I'm expecting one more year out of him, maybe 2. And when Brock or who ever the QB will be takes over, they will not break the bank. If Brock is the Franchise, I'd expect his contract to be somewhere around 5yrs $45 mil w/incentives $60. This type of contract alone offsets what TDT will be making.

There is a strong possibility that we can be in a situation like the Ravens was this year, but like the Ravens, we have to have some good drafts to help offset the lost.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    Never said you dont need a defense.

But there are like 2-3 teams with an elite defense.

The SB last year was in the 30's scoring wise, you just need a defense to force a turnover, get a few sacks, and to not totally suck it up. Ravens had a goal-line stand to win them the title while they were getting shredded in the 2nd half.

Im just saying most teams are prioritizing offense over defense.
    Well the Broncos defense is bad right now and with the salary cap restrictions in place, any new big contract on offense has the potential to make the Broncos defense worse.

And I have a perfect example of the type of player that could potentially be kept with Decker's money: Rahim Moore. He won't make tons of money but he is a solid player for our defense and one that will be a no-brainer when his contract comes due. What would happen to our defense if three Rahim Moores left?

It would be number 32 in the league. That's what.

Also, if most teams are prioritizing offense over defense wouldn't mean that the players on offense are inherently overpaid compared to their defensive counterparts? Supply and demand would seem to indicate that it is so.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    OK, we'll put your team theory to test this post season. Sieve for a defense and a potent offense. We'll see if they can win it all.
    Never said you dont need a defense.

But there are like 2-3 teams with an elite defense.

The SB last year was in the 30's scoring wise, you just need a defense to force a turnover, get a few sacks, and to not totally suck it up. Ravens had a goal-line stand to win them the title while they were getting shredded in the 2nd half.

Im just saying most teams are prioritizing offense over defense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X