Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Like How The Coaching Staff Has Managed Our Running Backs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Like How The Coaching Staff Has Managed Our Running Backs

    It was a common debate point in the preseason as to the pecking order of our running backs. Some of us were concerned about what seemed to be a mistaken approach, with Hillman as the perceived starter, followed by Ball perhaps, and then Moreno. Those of us who saw it differently were unsure if it was because Moreno wasn't healthy, or that he wasn't the draft pick of the current regime, or that possibly Hillman was lighting things up in practice, while Ball was also making a case for the starting job. But as the preseason moved forward, it became clearer and clearer that Knowshon was the best of the backs, based on his ability to run, secure the ball, catch and run, and maybe most important, block. And if he was healthy, we believed he was the best RB as of last season's ending.

    I digress.

    As the season progressed, partly due to fumbling issues of the other two, Moreno grabbed the starting role with conviction. And his stats and overall performance have been noteworthy. 1038 rushing yards, for a 4.3 avg., and 10 TDs, along with 548 receiving yards on 60 catches, for a 9.1 yard avg. and 3 TDs. And in so doing, he was Peyton's good companion, throwing solid blocks game in and game out. And through it all, only 1 fumble, which he recovered as well.

    And Ball became more prominent too, and finished quite strong, with a total of 559 yards rushing for a 4.7 yard avg. and 4 TDs. He also received 20 passes for 145 yards. And he seemed to learn the value of holding on to the ball, and protecting Peyton.

    Hillman was benched for his fumbling issues, but is still very young and growing, and it was good to see him handle the ball again yesterday. He needs to improve his game, but he has time and coaching on his side. Both he and Ball will learn to be more secure in ball handling. Moreno has.

    It's been a great season! And I love the way our RBs have contributed. It took a while, but it has come together. And outside of our comeback stud Knowshon, we have the luxury of two young men who will get increased opportunity in future, as Moreno's play diminishes. But in the meantime, get out of the way, because he's not showing much in the way of letting the starting job go.

  • #2
    Great post CAN, Knowshon has indeed been a gem & the way the coaches have handled the running back situation has been great. I like where they have Ball right now & how they are & will work Hillman back in the lineup. The running game is right where it needs to be heading into the playoffs. In fact the whole team seems to be on the up & up. While I was shocked last year when the Ravens beat us at home in the divisional round, I have to say I'm not cocky but I have a really good feeling we're going to New Jersey this year, I'm really confident right now in this team. I just can't wait til the 12th. Salute to you. &

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
      Great post CAN, Knowshon has indeed been a gem & the way the coaches have handled the running back situation has been great. I like where they have Ball right now & how they are & will work Hillman back in the lineup. The running game is right where it needs to be heading into the playoffs. In fact the whole team seems to be on the up & up. While I was shocked last year when the Ravens beat us at home in the divisional round, I have to say I'm not cocky but I have a really good feeling we're going to New Jersey this year, I'm really confident right now in this team. I just can't wait til the 12th. Salute to you. &
      It's too bad they don't do the pro bowl like in the past, when the top players from each conference get in. Moreno would have been an AFC selection I'm sure. Trouble is, the NFC is loaded with quality backs, and they were chosen before him in the new format.

      Oh well....them's the rules. Just happy he did what he did.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        It's too bad they don't do the pro bowl like in the past, when the top players from each conference get in. Moreno would have been an AFC selection I'm sure. Trouble is, the NFC is loaded with quality backs, and they were chosen before him in the new format.

        Oh well....them's the rules. Just happy he did what he did.
        Still think he should have made it in ahead of Gore as he had better stats all around except in yards rushing but hey at least we can all appreciate what he has done this year.

        Now as for the topic I am very excited with where our running backs are at this year. Last year at this time we had lost our #1 guy in McGahee then watched as Moreno went down not too long after to then see a 175 lb. RB become our #1 in a game geared towards trying to run the football. Obviously we couldn't and it helped lead to our loss. Fast forward to this year and we have 2 big time power backs that can if need be carry the ball 20-25 times each plus are both showing to be decent receivers out of the back field. They have both shown the ability to pick up those short yardage plays that we lacked last year. I like that when needed we are not just a passing team that throws in a few runs here and there but can become that power run team when absolutely needed and have success. I like that teams have to respect the run game in the Red Zone compared to last year where it was almost a given we were going to pass.

        Comment


        • #5
          Moreno has had a great regular season ... first RB in Denver's history to post 1000 yards rushing AND over 500 yards receiving. He has turned into a very reliable RB. The Broncos are in good shape with their other three as well, looks good.

          BUT, the season just started and this is no time to rest on their laurels ... GO BRONCOS!
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
            Moreno has had a great regular season ... first RB in Denver's history to post 1000 yards rushing AND over 500 yards receiving. He has turned into a very reliable RB. The Broncos are in good shape with their other three as well, looks good.

            BUT, the season just started and this is no time to rest on their laurels ... GO BRONCOS!
            I guess the big thing for me is I feel so much better about our RB depth when it comes to the upcoming playoffs. Once Moreno went down last year it changed the whole dynamic of the offense and how we could function. This year I just think Moreno is better than he was last year and if say he got dinged up a bit I trust Ball to come in and the offense to not miss a beat and honestly to even be more dangerous running the ball as I think Ball is the better of the two actually running the ball.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cdumler7 View Post
              I guess the big thing for me is I feel so much better about our RB depth when it comes to the upcoming playoffs. Once Moreno went down last year it changed the whole dynamic of the offense and how we could function. This year I just think Moreno is better than he was last year and if say he got dinged up a bit I trust Ball to come in and the offense to not miss a beat and honestly to even be more dangerous running the ball as I think Ball is the better of the two actually running the ball.
              I am a big fan of Montee Ball (I actually wanted the Broncos to draft him in the 2012 draft, only problem was Ball stayed in school), I think Moreno and Ball are very similar in regards to running the ball. Neither really has the all out speed to take it to the house, both use their blockers well, I give an edge to Ball on short yardage runs but give the edge to Moreno as a receiver. Moreno has proven to be more reliable (holding onto the ball and providing pass protection) but Ball is still young, I am certain he will get better. The Broncos are in good shape overall at the RB position.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cdumler7 View Post
                Still think he should have made it in ahead of Gore as he had better stats all around except in yards rushing but hey at least we can all appreciate what he has done this year.

                Now as for the topic I am very excited with where our running backs are at this year. Last year at this time we had lost our #1 guy in McGahee then watched as Moreno went down not too long after to then see a 175 lb. RB become our #1 in a game geared towards trying to run the football. Obviously we couldn't and it helped lead to our loss. Fast forward to this year and we have 2 big time power backs that can if need be carry the ball 20-25 times each plus are both showing to be decent receivers out of the back field. They have both shown the ability to pick up those short yardage plays that we lacked last year. I like that when needed we are not just a passing team that throws in a few runs here and there but can become that power run team when absolutely needed and have success. I like that teams have to respect the run game in the Red Zone compared to last year where it was almost a given we were going to pass.
                I agree!:thumb:

                Comment


                • #9
                  CanDB, you've always got the best posts. Keep on keeping on, Broncos!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by southern cross View Post
                    CanDB, you've always got the best posts. Keep on keeping on, Broncos!
                    Too kind.....but I must say, folks like you make it easier for me to stay motivated!

                    Thx!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great post, CanDB!

                      I like where the backs are right now. It seems they let Ball take over more of the primary duties late to preserve Moreno. Both guys look very fresh for the post season.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I agree with the comment above. As soon as we lost Moreno last year our playoff hopes took a huge hit. But this year with him being healthy AND having Montee I'm extremely confident that they will get the job done.

                        (Now let's re-sign Moreno!)
                        Originally posted by darth-hideous
                        Champ losing a step, just means the rest of the NFL is now only two steps behind.
                        Adopted by: CanDB & Peanut

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I totally agree Can. I think the coaches wanted to be a little more aggressive on the learning curve of the new backs and like mentioned before the fumbles had coaches changing things up.

                          IMO this has lead to a really deep and capable backfield with allot of options.

                          People are going to go at the ball hard on them in the playoffs. I hope all four backs are working on ball security as much as humanly possible during the entire playoffs.

                          All four of them should be holding balls every days until we win the Super Bowl and if anyone else besides the backs brings a football to a team meeting/practice then that back puts in $500 for a team party.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Was it just me, or did it seem like they threw quite a bit more to Moreno against The Raiders, it sure seemed like it, and I really liked what I saw when they threw to Moreno because it seemed to be something lacking in our offense, but I guess I could see why when you have so many other weapons.

                            You can't help but respect Moreno, you didn't hear him rant and rave when he was benched, you saw him just put the work in to get better, and what do you know, it paid off! I can't help but think anyone else drafted in his position might of thrown a fit, demanded a trade, even the real possibility of him throwing in the towel and becoming another 1st round bust.

                            Ball is starting to look great, too. I love how hard he runs and drives with the ball. Have many of you seen this sports science video with Montee Ball?

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bjvEf9OrZA
                            Last edited by JesseH; 01-01-2014, 07:43 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JesseH View Post
                              Was it just me, or did it seem like they threw quite a bit more to Moreno against The Raiders, it sure seemed like it, and I really liked what I saw when they threw to Moreno because it seemed to be something lacking in our offense, but I guess I could see why when you have so many other weapons.

                              You can't help but respect Moreno, you didn't hear him rant and rave when he was benched, you saw him just put the work in to get better, and what do you know, it paid off! I can't help but think anyone else drafted in his position might of thrown a fit, demanded a trade, even the real possibility of him throwing in the towel and becoming another 1st round bust.

                              Ball is starting to look great, too. I love how hard he runs and drives with the ball. Have many of you seen this sports science video with Montee Ball?

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bjvEf9OrZA
                              Wow never saw that sports science, thanks!

                              Looks like we found a durable power back that will serve us well over the next half decade or so.

                              At the beginning of the season i had my doubts, he looked very timid, didn't run with power, didn't break tackles, but he had good vision. However, he was a rookie, glad there is someone else making these decisions and not me. Seems to have fixed (don't jinx it) his fumbling problem, and looks great heading into the postseason.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X