No announcement yet.

Changing it up for the playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we will see a full on slot of Hurry Hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by haciendadad View Post
      Well, I ask this only because all three teams we lost to are in the playoffs as well and they are all in the AFC too, so do we just do the same thing and hope for a different outcome? We have a bye week, why not use it?
      We've played 7 games against playoff teams this year, we're 4-3 in those games. Take away the the Carter muff and the Hillman fumble and we're at least 5-1-1 instead. I think we can hang with the playoff teams.

Comment

Originally posted by haciendadad View Post
        Well, I ask this only because all three teams we lost to are in the playoffs as well and they are all in the AFC too, so do we just do the same thing and hope for a different outcome? We have a bye week, why not use it?
        All of those were close games though with 2 of them on the road. One of those was in the worst kind of weather for Peyton with the swirling wind plus missing Thomas for that game and the other Thomas playing with one arm hurt. The Colts game we just made a ton of mistakes. To me this is what I would be working on during this extra time of cleaning up the fumbles (we have been very good lately at this), working on the drive killing penalties, and then Special Teams getting some extra work.

If you look at the games we have lost this year they have been because of crucial mistakes on our part not because another team just came out and whooped us.

Comment

If anything, I say we stay aggressive in the 1st half like we did against Oakland. It was obvious to me that they wanted to put the game out of reach by the half so they could rest some guys. They played the first half like it was the 4th quarter and we were down by 10....I think we should keep doing that! THROW to set up the run, not vice versa.

It's Peyton Manning, let's throw throw throw and see if we can go 3-0!! (hey, that rhymes)

Comment

Changing it up can mean with personnel, or with offensive plays and defensive alignments and calls.

With Welker's return, I don't see much different except for the possibility of Tamme sharing time at Slot. I think Denver was about 60/40 pass this year. They may want to be more balanced in the playoffs. Tamme gives more blocking on run plays.

With Wolfe's return, Jackson will most likely rotate with him. Bailey will most likely be the fifth DB. The starters at Oakland in the first quarter were mostly in a 50 and a split front nickel. They seem to be the starters we will see in the playoffs. The 50 seems effective against a mobile QB and/or outside run threat. It can easily be shifted to a Double Eagle to counter an inside run threat.

On game day, the OC and DC should only call what has been practiced. There will be more preparation time for the Divisional game. If O has specials they have practiced during the season, but not used in games, those may be seen.

Denver's offense already puts tremendous pressure on defenses with the receivers/TEs plus Moreno. PM's no huddle already changes things up simply through PM's pre-snap read. It's arguably the greatest offense. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It hasn't been stopped, so why tamper with it?

JDR already runs a multiple defense with at least six different fronts. His defense looks fully installed, and all his players have had game snaps including Brandon Marshall who got in the second half at Oakland.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I don't see any changes on offense, but as always all teams have plays designed for the post season that they have practiced all season long. Such plays are saved for a post season run and are not used during the season. They are practiced only during sessions not open to the media. There are most likely plays saved for the Superbowl if they make it that far. Other than such plays, I don't expect much changes. Over the last few weeks the team has been playing a more complete game and have cut down on turnovers. The Oakland game was the most complete game all season and the momentum should be high.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                We've played 7 games against playoff teams this year, we're 4-3 in those games. Take away the the Carter muff and the Hillman fumble and we're at least 5-1-1 instead. I think we can hang with the playoff teams.
                this maybe the defining year of Peytons career... another one and out and he is labelled as the greatest hall of fame playoff choker in history... that will outlive any of his records because there will always be a ... yeah, but... with this team, 13-3 again... odds on favorite... no excuses... thats a lot of pressure on him, but thats pro football. Can't count on us blowing out playoff teams by halftime and i doubt any games will be a cakewalk... many of our blowouts were close for 3Q... Ravens, Redskins, Texans, Chiefs, etc... lets not kid ourselves, we are not heads and shoulders better than any team... this is the NFL... the focus, the film study are all more intense in the playoffs and if you look at our team, our O and D lines have to perform... Chargers Pats Colts all got consistent pass rush against us... We got little pass rush against them and they dominated the clock and moved the ball... Peyton can throw for 300 yards, but if he only gets the ball 8 times a game, we may lose cuz he will have to score on 6 of them... hoping we can win with 27 pts a game and not 35... D-fense is the key...

Comment

On offense we don't need to outsmart ourselves. We have plenty of weapons in the arsenal and we just have to execute and use them effectively. That said, our opponents are going to throw unexpected stuff at us, too. It's a chess match. The best thing we can do for ourselves is to play better defense (get turnovers, allow no big plays, win on third downs) and of course it's easier said than done. We also need to make no stupid plays on special teams, and I am especially saying a certain well known returner should be coached to fair catch unless he sees a WIDE OPEN field.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat7 View Post
                    On offense we don't need to outsmart ourselves. We have plenty of weapons in the arsenal and we just have to execute and use them effectively. That said, our opponents are going to throw unexpected stuff at us, too. It's a chess match. The best thing we can do for ourselves is to play better defense (get turnovers, allow no big plays, win on third downs) and of course it's easier said than done. We also need to make no stupid plays on special teams, and I am especially saying a certain well known returner should be coached to fair catch unless he sees a WIDE OPEN field.
                    Yep, I also think TH should not be fielding punts, TH should only be used on kick offs and we should have Caldwell fielding punts.Holliday just scaes the living you know what we he is returning punts.

please please please no TH on punts, only kick offs.

Comment

Working...
                    X