No announcement yet.

Broncos WRs against physical secondary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New England will be the key, assuming we get past San Diego (my pick to be our next opponent). We had 280 yards rushing against the Patriots, when we lost in November. So, clearly the experiment with running the ball, either as a strategy, or in response to the big early lead, failed against New England. The Denver Broncos are going to have to beat New England through the air.

Peyton Manning passed for 130 net yards in the New England game, and Aqib Talib OWNED our wide receivers through his physical play. DT was targeted 9 times, and he caught 4 passes. Eric Decker was targeted 4 times, and he caught 1 pass. Welker was targeted 8 times, and he caught 4 passes. The WRs are going to have to play better to beat New England.

If we've learned anything this year, it's that the officials aren't going to call physical play by New England's DBs, or any other teams DBs, against our wide receivers. So, all they whining, crying, and complaining we've seen this season from Eric Decker better be out of that guys system. The only way we win in that game is by our WRs growing a "sack", and Manning having the best game of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
      New England will be the key, assuming we get past San Diego (my pick to be our next opponent). We had 280 yards rushing against the Patriots, when we lost in November. So, clearly the experiment with running the ball, either as a strategy, or in response to the big early lead, failed against New England. The Denver Broncos are going to have to beat New England through the air.

Peyton Manning passed for 130 net yards in the New England game, and Aqib Talib OWNED our wide receivers through his physical play. DT was targeted 9 times, and he caught 4 passes. Eric Decker was targeted 4 times, and he caught 1 pass. Welker was targeted 8 times, and he caught 4 passes. The WRs are going to have to play better to beat New England.

If we've learned anything this year, it's that the officials aren't going to call physical play by New England's DBs, or any other teams DBs, against our wide receivers. So, all they whining, crying, and complaining we've seen this season from Eric Decker better be out of that guys system. The only way we win in that game is by our WRs growing a "sack", and Manning having the best game of the year.
      I think Julius Thomas is key against Patriots. Patriots defense has been vulnerable to tightends. I am hoping JT has a big game. But even prior to that, we may need to beat Colts or else Chargers. The Pagano brothers seemed to know something about slowing down Peyton Manning just enough to beat him in the regular season.

Comment

On the topic of the New England game, If you were to tell me we would rush for 200+ yards in Denver in the playoffs against NE I would take it to the bank. The colts game seemed really fluky in many ways. It had a Broncos-Giants 1998 undefeated season vibe going on if you ask me, but let's not go into either of those games

As gtown said above, our WRs do need to play better in that situation, HOWEVER, that game was not only cold but very windy, so a lot of those drop figures and Peytons "average" numbers in that game could be rightfully chalked up to a number of valid reasons. Not to mention the second half of the game, which portrayed one of Denver's greatest defensive collapses in the last 5 years, both in terms of scheme, but the personnel we fielded due to injuries. Rahim Moore was out coming into the game, Duke was knocked out during the game, big Vick was knocked out, aswell as (and this is the big one), DRC.

IMO, if DRC doesn't injure his shoulder at the end of the half, we win that game no questions asked. To my knowledge, DRC has allowed the least catches per coverage snap in the NFL by quite a large margin, a category dominated by Revis and Sherman the last 3 years. That's a skill-set that you can not afford to lose during any games and expect the defense to be as effective. His performance this season (in coverage) has been nothing short of miraculous, yet he was/will likely be snubbed from the Pro Bowl and All-Pro.

With that being said, I feel like with Welker back, Julius in the line-up, and the team and defense especially being able to stay healthy, we are sitting pretty for the post-season.

Comment

Originally posted by jakemillar View Post
          On the topic of the New England game, If you were to tell me we would rush for 200+ yards in Denver in the playoffs against NE I would take it to the bank. The colts game seemed really fluky in many ways. It had a Broncos-Giants 1998 undefeated season vibe going on if you ask me, but let's not go into either of those games

As gtown said above, our WRs do need to play better in that situation, HOWEVER, that game was not only cold but very windy, so a lot of those drop figures and Peytons "average" numbers in that game could be rightfully chalked up to a number of valid reasons. Not to mention the second half of the game, which portrayed one of Denver's greatest defensive collapses in the last 5 years, both in terms of scheme, but the personnel we fielded due to injuries. Rahim Moore was out coming into the game, Duke was knocked out during the game, big Vick was knocked out, aswell as (and this is the big one), DRC.

IMO, if DRC doesn't injure his shoulder at the end of the half, we win that game no questions asked. To my knowledge, DRC has allowed the least catches per coverage snap in the NFL by quite a large margin, a category dominated by Revis and Sherman the last 3 years. That's a skill-set that you can not afford to lose during any games and expect the defense to be as effective. His performance this season (in coverage) has been nothing short of miraculous, yet he was/will likely be snubbed from the Pro Bowl and All-Pro.

With that being said, I feel like with Welker back, Julius in the line-up, and the team and defense especially being able to stay healthy, we are sitting pretty for the post-season.
          Good point regarding the wind and also DRC. As regards to the Colts game, their defense plays much better at home. Most of their sacks are at home. So i hope that trend stays. I do not think Chargers will beat Bengals. So our matchup will be likely Colts.

Comment

JT is absolutely key against NE.

Aqib Talib and Logan Ryan will more likely than not limit DT and Decker; not because they did it before, but because they have been doing that consistently against other good WRs. NE will also safety bracket Welker again (BB's most worried about him). That leaves JT with insanely favorable matchups against LBs who don't cover well.

Moreno/Ball will also run against weak boxes (although ex-Bronco Sealver Siliga makes the run D stronger than the first time we faced them).

Comment

I think we fixed this a few games back. Teams were playing us really close of the LOS so we finally got this wild and crazy idea that we should actually try to take TOP off the Defense... Crazy logic, I know!...

But it seems to have worked and teams are not playing us as physical as they did before... Strange how that works...Sucks that we only thought up this brilant logic a few games back...

Comment

Working...
              X