Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SammyWinder
    replied
    I think we fixed this a few games back. Teams were playing us really close of the LOS so we finally got this wild and crazy idea that we should actually try to take TOP off the Defense... Crazy logic, I know!...

But it seems to have worked and teams are not playing us as physical as they did before... Strange how that works...Sucks that we only thought up this brilant logic a few games back...

Leave a comment:

• UnitedInOrange
    replied
    JT is absolutely key against NE.

Aqib Talib and Logan Ryan will more likely than not limit DT and Decker; not because they did it before, but because they have been doing that consistently against other good WRs. NE will also safety bracket Welker again (BB's most worried about him). That leaves JT with insanely favorable matchups against LBs who don't cover well.

Moreno/Ball will also run against weak boxes (although ex-Bronco Sealver Siliga makes the run D stronger than the first time we faced them).

Leave a comment:

• rush_limbaughII
    replied
    Originally posted by jakemillar View Post
    On the topic of the New England game, If you were to tell me we would rush for 200+ yards in Denver in the playoffs against NE I would take it to the bank. The colts game seemed really fluky in many ways. It had a Broncos-Giants 1998 undefeated season vibe going on if you ask me, but let's not go into either of those games

As gtown said above, our WRs do need to play better in that situation, HOWEVER, that game was not only cold but very windy, so a lot of those drop figures and Peytons "average" numbers in that game could be rightfully chalked up to a number of valid reasons. Not to mention the second half of the game, which portrayed one of Denver's greatest defensive collapses in the last 5 years, both in terms of scheme, but the personnel we fielded due to injuries. Rahim Moore was out coming into the game, Duke was knocked out during the game, big Vick was knocked out, aswell as (and this is the big one), DRC.

IMO, if DRC doesn't injure his shoulder at the end of the half, we win that game no questions asked. To my knowledge, DRC has allowed the least catches per coverage snap in the NFL by quite a large margin, a category dominated by Revis and Sherman the last 3 years. That's a skill-set that you can not afford to lose during any games and expect the defense to be as effective. His performance this season (in coverage) has been nothing short of miraculous, yet he was/will likely be snubbed from the Pro Bowl and All-Pro.

With that being said, I feel like with Welker back, Julius in the line-up, and the team and defense especially being able to stay healthy, we are sitting pretty for the post-season.
    Good point regarding the wind and also DRC. As regards to the Colts game, their defense plays much better at home. Most of their sacks are at home. So i hope that trend stays. I do not think Chargers will beat Bengals. So our matchup will be likely Colts.

Leave a comment:

• jakemillar
    replied
    On the topic of the New England game, If you were to tell me we would rush for 200+ yards in Denver in the playoffs against NE I would take it to the bank. The colts game seemed really fluky in many ways. It had a Broncos-Giants 1998 undefeated season vibe going on if you ask me, but let's not go into either of those games

As gtown said above, our WRs do need to play better in that situation, HOWEVER, that game was not only cold but very windy, so a lot of those drop figures and Peytons "average" numbers in that game could be rightfully chalked up to a number of valid reasons. Not to mention the second half of the game, which portrayed one of Denver's greatest defensive collapses in the last 5 years, both in terms of scheme, but the personnel we fielded due to injuries. Rahim Moore was out coming into the game, Duke was knocked out during the game, big Vick was knocked out, aswell as (and this is the big one), DRC.

IMO, if DRC doesn't injure his shoulder at the end of the half, we win that game no questions asked. To my knowledge, DRC has allowed the least catches per coverage snap in the NFL by quite a large margin, a category dominated by Revis and Sherman the last 3 years. That's a skill-set that you can not afford to lose during any games and expect the defense to be as effective. His performance this season (in coverage) has been nothing short of miraculous, yet he was/will likely be snubbed from the Pro Bowl and All-Pro.

With that being said, I feel like with Welker back, Julius in the line-up, and the team and defense especially being able to stay healthy, we are sitting pretty for the post-season.

Leave a comment:

• rush_limbaughII
    replied
    Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
    New England will be the key, assuming we get past San Diego (my pick to be our next opponent). We had 280 yards rushing against the Patriots, when we lost in November. So, clearly the experiment with running the ball, either as a strategy, or in response to the big early lead, failed against New England. The Denver Broncos are going to have to beat New England through the air.

Peyton Manning passed for 130 net yards in the New England game, and Aqib Talib OWNED our wide receivers through his physical play. DT was targeted 9 times, and he caught 4 passes. Eric Decker was targeted 4 times, and he caught 1 pass. Welker was targeted 8 times, and he caught 4 passes. The WRs are going to have to play better to beat New England.

If we've learned anything this year, it's that the officials aren't going to call physical play by New England's DBs, or any other teams DBs, against our wide receivers. So, all they whining, crying, and complaining we've seen this season from Eric Decker better be out of that guys system. The only way we win in that game is by our WRs growing a "sack", and Manning having the best game of the year.
    I think Julius Thomas is key against Patriots. Patriots defense has been vulnerable to tightends. I am hoping JT has a big game. But even prior to that, we may need to beat Colts or else Chargers. The Pagano brothers seemed to know something about slowing down Peyton Manning just enough to beat him in the regular season.

Leave a comment:

• gtown53
    replied
    New England will be the key, assuming we get past San Diego (my pick to be our next opponent). We had 280 yards rushing against the Patriots, when we lost in November. So, clearly the experiment with running the ball, either as a strategy, or in response to the big early lead, failed against New England. The Denver Broncos are going to have to beat New England through the air.

Peyton Manning passed for 130 net yards in the New England game, and Aqib Talib OWNED our wide receivers through his physical play. DT was targeted 9 times, and he caught 4 passes. Eric Decker was targeted 4 times, and he caught 1 pass. Welker was targeted 8 times, and he caught 4 passes. The WRs are going to have to play better to beat New England.

If we've learned anything this year, it's that the officials aren't going to call physical play by New England's DBs, or any other teams DBs, against our wide receivers. So, all they whining, crying, and complaining we've seen this season from Eric Decker better be out of that guys system. The only way we win in that game is by our WRs growing a "sack", and Manning having the best game of the year.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Originally posted by edog24 View Post
    And weren't we without J. Thomas against the colts or pats? I think he will make a huge difference in the physical line of scrimmage play in the playoffs.
    Julius didnt play in KC or NE.

Leave a comment:

• ELWAY421
    replied
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    I tihnk you mistake my observations as "complaints" DT later half of the year still had good stats but he disapeared (even in single coverage for most of the game) He's still a great player but he does have a habbit of only have 1-2 quarters with HUGE stats and then be non-existant the rest. It's normally a big second half and he never shows up for the first half.
    This is fact, DT is one of the most talented receivers in the league. DT has top 5 receiver #'s. Think about this though, DT is at the mercy of where Manning goes with the ball. It's not like AJ & Cincy or Det & Johnson where they get the ball forced to them all the time.

If Manning forced the ball to DT all the time, DT's numbers would be record breaking. Manning takes what the defense gives him, he goes to the open guy.

There are points in every game with every great WR, where they aren't involved, it's just a fact. DT has been great all season.

Demaryius Thomas: REC's 92 YARDS 1,430 TD's 14 YAC 633

I couldn't ever say I'm worried about a player who has these numbers, on top of the fact that he is sharing a field with Decker, Welker, Thomas, Knowshon, Ball & Tamme.

DT lead all receivers in YAC, do you want more than that from him? Oh yes he is a good blocker also.

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    DT see's a lot of double coverage, I don't understand? I guess if it was up to everyone DT & Decker should have 2000 yard seasons with 20Td's .

Look at these numbers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...stat/receiving

How can we gripe about our receivers??????
    I tihnk you mistake my observations as "complaints" DT later half of the year still had good stats but he disapeared (even in single coverage for most of the game) He's still a great player but he does have a habbit of only have 1-2 quarters with HUGE stats and then be non-existant the rest. It's normally a big second half and he never shows up for the first half.

Leave a comment:

• govolsman
    replied
    This group of receivers are the most physically gifted and imposing group of receivers that Manning has played with. Hopefully that carries over into the playoffs because the colts receivers were small and didnt do manning any favors when playoff time rolled around. Harrison in particular wasnt nearly as affective during the playoffs as he was during the regular season. In 16 playoff games, a full season, he had 65 catches for 883 yards and only 2 TD. Compare that to his season averages of nearly 93 catches for 1227 yards and almost 11 TDs. Wayne was a little better but still only had 2 100 yard games in 17 playoff games with Manning, with 9 TDs.

Leave a comment:

• Justblaze2729
    replied
    I agree, I've seen vast amounts of improvement in Decker regarding this. I think that's why the latter half of the season we've seen some games where DT just disapears most of the game and Decker stays consistent.
    Even after decker got hot in the KC game he still recorded 2 games under 45 yards whereas DT only had 1. The rest were 3 100+ yard games and 88 yards. That's hardly disappearing.
    Last edited by Justblaze2729; 01-02-2014, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ELWAY421
    replied
    I agree, I've seen vast amounts of improvement in Decker regarding this. I think that's why the latter half of the season we've seen some games where DT just disapears most of the game and Decker stays consistent. I've been hard on decker and his dropsies but he's had a great year and has made some real steps forward.
    DT see's a lot of double coverage, I don't understand? I guess if it was up to everyone DT & Decker should have 2000 yard seasons with 20Td's .

Look at these numbers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...stat/receiving

How can we gripe about our receivers??????

Leave a comment:

• snewguy
    replied
    Originally posted by trc1962 View Post
    I agree with Elway421. The only game I felt we were beaten was San Diego. The other two we shot ourselves in the foot and Still had a chance to win. I think the players are not taking anything for granted as they suffered through the post season last year. I am sure the coaches and players see the physical play coming and are working on it. The running game is there and will be needed! Iam hopeful for the post season!
    A loss is a loss... ya think the Pats played their best game spotting us 17 pts off turnovers in the first Q? The Chargers Colts Pats provided the blueprint to contain or shut the O down... as the Cards did against the Hawks... easier said then done but... its aggressive man coverage, stack the box and rush... take your chances against the run... DBs bump on line and lean towards inside forcing Peyton to make more outside throws... longer throws... challenging his arm strength.... you need great cornerbacks, if coverage is good, he won't risk it and will throw shorter inside routes with more defenders - if not, like Raiders and Texans, you play more zone and get picked apart... Peyton will not throw deep down the middle much against anyone, unless the safety cheats...

our running game works if our passing works, most games... if we could rely on the run, i think it throws Peyton out of sync... not good on short yardage.

i liked the variety in the Raiders game, a lot more screens and plays we have not seen...

Leave a comment:

• edog24
    replied
    Originally posted by rush_limbaughII View Post
    Even against Chargers, Wes Welker was out although Caldwell played well.
    And weren't we without J. Thomas against the colts or pats? I think he will make a huge difference in the physical line of scrimmage play in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by UnitedInOrange View Post
    We should subtly (not whining) ask refs early in the game to watch for holding and to call the game tight. Some do (like in TEN game) and it opens up a lot.

Decker's had a lot more success against physical play the latter half of the season I noticed. To be honest, he's pushing off a bit more, but that's what you need to do against clutchy CBs if the refs are going to let em play.
    I agree, I've seen vast amounts of improvement in Decker regarding this. I think that's why the latter half of the season we've seen some games where DT just disapears most of the game and Decker stays consistent. I've been hard on decker and his dropsies but he's had a great year and has made some real steps forward.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X