Clark or Clady?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark or Clady?

Chris Clark had an amazing year in Cladys absence and decision time is coming. Who should we retain?

Basically either could walk onto any team and be a good LT and god knows many teams could need one. So that means that we have excellent trade quality in one or the other.

So do we trade the proven (but twice injured) pro bowler with a hiiigh salary?

Or the cheap replacement who stepped up big time when given the opportunity?

Logic says we trade Clady
    sigpic

It will be interesting once the off-season hits... but I'm pretty sure Denver will stick with Clady.

The guy is a cornerstone to this franchise, a team captain, and a hell of a LT. Outside of the injuries, he's been the perfect fit here.

Comment

I disagree, if we had to trade one of them I'd trade Clark.

With his low salary and high trade value I think we'd like our compensation. Then we'd plug in an All-Pro Franchise Left Tackle to take his place.

Comment

Clark had a good year, but there still were a few times when he would be beat and allow Peyton to get sacked, and he also had a decent amount of penalties called on him. If I were John Fox, Clady would be the starting LT again.

As for Clark, I'd test the market and see if I could get something really good for him.
        sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
        Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

keep both, we need the depth.
          sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

The blessing of having depth at this position is the reason we are in a Superbowl. Didn't mean to ignore the question but that sort of blurted out.

Peyton in the pancake position or breaking every record that ever existed, HMMMMMMMMMMMM?
            [sigpic

Comment

Keep both, and have Clady, Franklin, and Clark as depth incase of injury.

And its no contest, if Clady is recovered, he starts, he's a top 3-5 LT in football, maybe the best. Clark has been good but he has had some bad games (first NE game at times, got whipped by Mathis, and a few others)

Clark is also signed uber-cheap for the next 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jgod654 View Post
                Chris Clark had an amazing year in Cladys absence and decision time is coming. Who should we retain?

Basically either could walk onto any team and be a good LT and god knows many teams could need one. So that means that we have excellent trade quality in one or the other.

logic says Clark did not play amazing. He did ok.
                sigpic

Comment

This one's easy. Keep them both. The Broncos were smart and signed Clark to a 2 year contract just before putting Clady on IR. So now Clark's price protected for next year and it's cheap to keep him around. Not meaning to start another how-long-will-manning-play thread, but I always thought we'd have him for 3 years. Clark's contract fits that window.

Comment

No no no. Logic doesn't say to trade a top 3 LT. Logic says to let the weak guard bounce, move franklin inside and bookend Clark and clady
                    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

2014 Clady has a 8.6 million cap hit.
                      2014 Clark has a 2.1&change cap hit.

I believe Clady is the better tackle, but Clark is the better value.

Trading Clady would create a 2.4 million dead cap hit, and trading him might be a consideration. It all depends on they construct the team. Obviously there will be some tough decisions that will come into play and this in my opinion is one of the bigger ones.

They could move one of them to RT, and move other players around.

Having two strong possibilities at LT is a luxury that not many teams have, so I doubt either one goes anywhere at the end of the day.
                      Last edited by allthings18; 01-22-2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by allthings18 View Post
                        2014 Clady has a 8.6 million cap hit.
                        2014 Clark has a 2.1&change cap hit.

I believe Clady is the better tackle, but Clark is the better value.

Trading Clady would create a 2.4 million dead cap hit, and trading him might be a consideration. It all depends on they construct the team. Obviously there will be some tough decisions that will come into play and this in my opinion is one of the bigger ones.

They could move one of them to RT, and move other players around.

Having to strong possibilities at LT is a luxury that not many teams have, so I doubt either one goes anywhere at the end of the day.
                        Exactly. They may opt to keep both, but at the expense of resigning Decker or DRC? That may be a real decision.

I still think they trade Clady - get a 2nd rounder back and say goodbye to a high salary.
                        I don't think they will shuffle a line that has proven to be one of the best in football.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
                          Clark had a good year, but there still were a few times when he would be beat and allow Peyton to get sacked, and he also had a decent amount of penalties called on him. If I were John Fox, Clady would be the starting LT again.

As for Clark, I'd test the market and see if I could get something really good for him.
                          All left tackles get beat from time to time, the defense is paid to make plays too.

I know having Manning helps, but let's not forget that Clark was part of the o-line that gave up the fewest sacks in the NFL this year.

For comparison, Cleveland is the only team that threw more times than Denver, they gave up 49 sacks compared to the Broncos 20.

Comment

Exactly. They may opt to keep both, but at the expense of resigning Decker or DRC? That may be a real decision.

I still think they trade Clady - get a 2nd rounder back and say goodbye to a high salary.
                            I don't think they will shuffle a line that has proven to be one of the best in football.
                            There's plenty of ways to free up cap space.

Kuper/Dreessen and maybe a big restructure from Champ can free money.

With enough moves, we could have around 25-26 million in cap room, but most of that can go to our own.

That said, if Clady is healthy, he starts, franchise LT's dont grow on trees, Clady is one of those. There is a reason he got the contract he did, hes that good.

It's about a 6 million gap in money with Clady and Clark, a big difference, sure, but Clady is a beast.

Elway values 4 positions very highly, said it when he was VP/GM.

Left Tackle.

CB.

Pass Rusher.

QB.

Clady isnt going anywhere as long as he's healthy.
                            Last edited by ERoyal248; 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                              All left tackles get beat from time to time, the defense is paid to make plays too.

I know having Manning helps, but let's not forget that Clark was part of the o-line that gave up the fewest sacks in the NFL this year.

For comparison, Cleveland is the only team that threw more times than Denver, they gave up 49 sacks compared to the Broncos 20.
                              Clady rarely got beat. He's that good.

There are times Clark was inconsistant, but he had a good year overall, I'll admit. Still prefer to hang onto Clady though.
                              sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                              Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Working...
                              X