Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you trust Elway's decisions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you trust Elway's decisions?

First off, I think Elway has done an amazing job putting the team together.

My thread title is provocative but I could not think of another way of wording it.

I realized that I am selective in my trust though. In a couple of recent discussions I find myself blindly trusting Elway in one (Osweiller) and questioning the risk in another (RB issue). My strong opinion in both cases is a contradiction in my opinion of Elway.

Curious if others are having similar "trust issues" when it comes to the decisions being made. Do you find yourself having differing opinions on team issues or taking an "all-in" Elway is always right approach?

I question the risk at RB too, but think about it. What runners are usually out there on the FA market? Either ones who want too much, or ones that aren't very good.

Besides, we still got the draft. I'll be shocked if Elway doesn't take a back by round 4.
    sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

John Elway is the standard by which GM"s are judged these days. There isn't an owner in the NFL right now that is not studying his every move.

The Broncos are the not so economical version of Moneyball without the mathematical formula. I trust him.
      [sigpic

Comment

It's completely acceptable to trust Elway's decision on one matter and not trust his decision on something else. It's called being human. I don't think that questioning one or two things a person does means that you don't trust that person overall. It's not that black and white, despite what some people on this board would say. If I don't like a decision or I question a decision Elway makes, it doesn't mean I think he's untrustworthy or that the team is in jeopardy while in his hands. Nobody's right 100 percent of the time, so obviously Elway will make some mistakes here and there. Given that, of course it's okay to question some of his decisions. Doesn't mean you're wanting to lynch him.

I currently am a little more than worried about our running back situation. Does that mean I think Elway's doing a terrible job? No. It doesn't. I think he's doing what he feels is best for the team, and most of his decisions will prove to be good ones.

Comment

Trusting Elway - well!!

When it comes to landing the right FA's, I cannot remember anyone doing close to as good of a job. It is amazing what he has achieved. Granted Manning is what has made it, and until Peyton retires we will not really know how good the rest is.

I find myself critical in other aspects. I did not like the signing of Fox, but I accept that with Manning in Denver Fox is a non issue. I was very critical of Elway's treatment/lack of support for Tebow when he was our QB (I thought Elway was extremely unprofessional in that - undermining and being unsupportive of our QB was dumb irrespective of the Dukes real thoughts), very critical of giving away Brandon Lloyd when that happened.

With that being said, I fully trust that Elway does precisely what he thinks is in the best interest of the Broncos. There is no chip on the shoulder, and he is not afraid to do controversial things.

The drafts have been fair but far from the FA excellence. I am critical of the RB situation, but I must say - There is no one that I would trust more to make the decisions for the Broncos than Elway...

Comment

I feel like a good amount of people trusted Elway just because of name's sake (he was a great player, etc. etc.) but I do believe he received a Business degree from Stanford so he does understand the logistics of money as well as football (chemistry, schematics, etc.). And as far as the last couple years have progressed (through Orton, Tebow and now Manning) he has earned my trust. Plus, although they are "all in" to win now, I do see the building for the future in works as well. We have a scattered plethora of youth as well as experience on this roster and after the draft, I think we will all be a little more settled with the team and the roster, not that we have a lot of reason to worry anyway
            --Representing the Broncos in the 605-- Adopted Bronco: Gerell Robinson

Comment

Overall, I wanted John to return as the GM and when he did, I was thrilled.

As far as the job he has done, I think he has been mostly excellent. He is best in free agency and trades, etc, while his drafts have been better than average, but not stellar.

No one is perfect, and I was not a fan of the John Fox hiring, but I understood it. Our locker room was an absolute mess when Elway took over, and we had to have a veteran coach that could relate to the players and calm them down. Elway had no idea at the time PFM would become available and we would be shooting for Super Bowls so soon. That has exposed John Fox because he is not an elite coach, but you can't really change coaches now in mid-stream, so we are stuck with him at least through the remainder of PFM's career in Denver. I don't think Fox is the guy to get it done, but I hope I am wrong.

As far as the draft, there are some obvious glaring misses (ie Brock Osweiler over Nick Foles and Russell Wilson), trading up for Ronnie Hillman, or taking Omar Bolden over Brandon Boykin, or the selection of Philip Blake, but all teams have their busts, so that is just a fact of NFL life.

But overall, Elway has been one of the top two Executives of the Year in each of the years he has been back with the Broncos, so who can really complain all that much?

Put it this way, he runs the personnel side of things light years better than Mike Shanahan did, so I consider that an improvement in itself.
              Last edited by Idiot_Kicker; 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Good question.

- I think he's better at FA than the draft, not that it's a bad thing, also helps having Manning as a plod to have players come to the Broncos.

- The past few drafts havent been THAT great, some bad misses. Brock pick has been talked forever. Missed on Blake. Omar Bolden over Boykin whose one of the top slot CB's in the league.

- Last years draft wasnt great at first but is looking better. King isnt on the team anymore. The top 3 picks will play a big role this year, along with possibly the likes of Painter, McCray, CJ Anderson and Quantarus.

- Regards to "win-now", most of the contracts are set-up where they can get out of them after 1-2 years with not much dead money cap hit. It's just the media being idiots, per usual.

- Overall, he's done as good of a job as anyone ever thought. Is he perfect, no, what GM/VP is perfect, no one is, everyone makes mistakes.

- The RB situation is a bit worrisome though imo, we'll see what he does there.

Comment

I trust Elway's decision making 100% because, for him, it's a process. The man believes in collective decision making. He has hired people who have expertise is various areas (e.g., salary cap, college scouting, pro personnel, coaching staff), and he listens to them. The rapidity with which he has moved, on occasion, indicates that he carries on these conversations daily. He was good to begin with, and he just keeps getting better. :2cents:
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I agree with Samp, Elway has built a nice collective. He has been fantastic on contracts. IMO we do not have one bad contract on the books. Great at closing FAs. Great at identifying pieces late in the draft and UDFA that can be groomed to fit system.

Do I agree with all his picks and signings, no. But as I mentioned, the contracts are usually set up to protect us from cap hell.
                    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                      First off, I think Elway has done an amazing job putting the team together.

My thread title is provocative but I could not think of another way of wording it.

I realized that I am selective in my trust though. In a couple of recent discussions I find myself blindly trusting Elway in one (Osweiller) and questioning the risk in another (RB issue). My strong opinion in both cases is a contradiction in my opinion of Elway.

Curious if others are having similar "trust issues" when it comes to the decisions being made. Do you find yourself having differing opinions on team issues or taking an "all-in" Elway is always right approach?
                      On the running back, Ball needed to learn the offense, he also has a speed back in Hillman and a powerback in CJ. He will add depth in the draft and Denver will be fine at runningback.
                      I would question the oline situation but the addition of Clady is going to be a huge upgrade.
                      Osweiler needs a season to play, make mistakes, and get caught up to the speed of the game. People bring up the Raider game but he was playing with second stringers vs Oaklands starters and the play calling was very conservative, which is what you want. He throws a couple pick sixes Oakland is back in the game.
                      I trusted Elway when he was our Qb, and I trust him now. We were 4-12 when he got this roster, 3 afc west championships since and
                      1. He landed Peyton
                      2. Took Von over Marcel Dareus
                      3. FA pick ups - DRC, Pot Roast, Shaun Phillips, All Pro Vasquez, Welker, Talib, Ware, Ward, and Sanders. Free Agents want to come to Denver now.
                      4.Draft - hasn't been perfect but picked up some diamonds in the rough in -Trevethan, Malik Jackson, Julius Thomas and Chris Harris was a steal as an undrafted FA.
                      He has us in a position to contend now and a young overall roster that will keep us competitive in the future.
                      One thing we can trust Elway will go get what we need.
                      sigpic

Comment

Elway has earned trust imo but he had mine from the getgo.
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I trust Elway

One really good decision can mask a lot of bad ones. I'm not saying Elway has made a bunch of bad ones, just saying that having a Peyton can make a huge difference in how you're perceived. Elway knows more often than not a QB is key to any type of regular success.

Hopefully the latest attempts at fixing the D will work.

Once Peyton is done is when we'll truly see what Elway and team have. It's not every day a HOF QB becomes available. Good job to get him when he did but that probably won't happen next time.
                          Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Elway is a genius in free agency. He has the charisma to lure top players. I consider his draft scouting to be average.

Comment

Nobody's perfect, but you have to give Elway credit. In his first year, we won a playoff game with Tebow. Many GM's (that's what he is, even without the moniker until this year) would have said "hey, we'll add a piece here and there and maybe win a divisional round next year." Elway recognized the difference between playoff contender and SB contender was QB and went all in on one of the best to ever play. Whether even that will be good enough, we have yet to see, but no doubt he was the best available to the Broncos (already a playoff team remember). How many years have the Bills/Raiders/Browns/Texans/Jaguars and so on wandered in the wilderness without a QB capable of taking them to the promised land? How many of their fanbases would trade places with ours in a heartbeat? That tells you all you need to know about how important a great QB is and that Elway not only made the right call, but closed the deal in a way none of the GM's of those other teams have been able to do, and many of them have much more experience in the position than Elway does. Trust? Yeah, definitely. There are holes on this team, like every other in the cap era. But I'll take Elway's clarity of vision and ability to execute over most FO's in the league.

Comment

Working...
                              X