DRC vs. Talib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRC vs. Talib

How do you guys feel about Elway and Co. essentially swapping DRC for Talib?

Both are IMO top 10 caliber CBs in the entire league on their good days and although I do like Talib's size/strength/physicality and ability to press guys at the LOS, my gut is telling me they may have made the wrong choice here.

I watched DRC very closely last year and in some games he just left me in awe of how athletically gifted he was at the CB position. His speed and fluidity when in coverage just constantly jumped out at me.

What are your thoughts?

DRC can leave you amazed with his athleticism and ability. I hope the Giants get their pass rush together so DRC can establish himself as a top CB.

The difference between the two, IMO, is Talib's nack for finding the ball while simutaneously erasing a receiver from the game. Deflections, INTs, FFs, and recoveries, that's what we see from Talib, in addition to him taking a receiver out (Julio Jones, Jimmy Graham were erased). He even gave DT fits at times.
    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

To me it's like comparing apples to oranges....

Both are top 10, maybe top 5 CB's in the league today.
      Both are great man coverage guys.

But they do have different playing styles as BroncoooJohnson states. DRC bases his game around his speed and athleticism, and does it VERY well mind you that. Which makes playing the CB position very easy for him.

Talib is more of a pure football playing CB, relying on his instincts and technique. Which he also does VERY well.

Both have the same bases, just different styles. Apples and Oranges.

Comment

I think people get confused Elway wanted DRC back but, he didn't take the offer.

I know Talib is top 5 because he can shut down Thomas.

I like how he'll hit running backs as well.
        was MileHigh

Comment

Talib also generates turnovers. Denver's defense sorely lacked that ability last year. At times they would get 3-and-outs, but punters persistently pinned Denver deep. Offenses can get tired over the course of a season as well. Sometimes, when the offense did - though rarely - struggle, the defense's job was to generate some sort of big play to give the team a boost. They virtually never did that. Holding teams to field goals doesn't count, because they were often giving up long drives in so doing. Same thing happened against Seattle (despite the misguided praise the Broncos fans keep giving the defense in that game).

Talib is a higher risk/reward type guy, as he's physical and generates turnovers, but that physicality sometimes gets him injured.

Comment

To me DRC while an awesome cover guy was not a very good tackler. I also did not like the whole I'm retiring, I'm not retiring blah, blah blah, stuff. To me it didn't seem like he was very committed to the Broncos or to playing and was a me first type of player.

I think Talib is not only a good cover guy but he can also tackle and doesn't shy away from a hit like DRC does at times. If he can stay healthy I think he will be as good if not better than DRC.

As stated above Elway tried to get DRC to stay but DRC chose to not sign so Elway did what he had to do to make sure we had a top cover guy. It doesn't mean that DRC wouldn't have eventually signed but Elway was not going to take a chance of possibly losing out on both of the top cover CB's in FA.
            sigpic
            Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
            2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
            2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
              To me DRC while an awesome cover guy was not a very good tackler. I also did not like the whole I'm retiring, I'm not retiring blah, blah blah, stuff. To me it didn't seem like he was very committed to the Broncos and was a me first type of player.

I think Talib is not only a good cover guy but he can also tackle and doesn't shy away from a hit like DRC does at times. If he can stay healthy I think he will be as good if not better than DRC.

As stated above Elway tried to get DRC to stay but DRC chose to not sign so Elway did what he had to do to make sure we had a top cover guy. It doesn't mean that DRC wouldn't have eventually signed but Elway was not going to take a chance of possibly losing out on both of the top cover CB's in FA.
              I'm not a big fan of that portrayal of DRC's character... He said he was contemplating retirement IF he won the Super Bowl. He was due to be a free agent. Him saying that did nothing IMO but take heat off the talk of people putting Champ's legacy on the line with the game... And in regards to him not being committed to the Broncos, he was on a one year deal. It's not like the Broncos were committed to him, I don't expect him to say he expects to retire a Bronco 7 years from now in his first season with the team.
              Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

I like talib over DRC only because he can tackle, DRC is very fast but when it came to tackling DRC was horrible. while Talib is a shutdown CB and he does tackle the problem with that is he gets injured quite a bit now if he can stay healthy great.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
                  I'm not a big fan of that portrayal of DRC's character... He said he was contemplating retirement IF he won the Super Bowl. He was due to be a free agent. Him saying that did nothing IMO but take heat off the talk of people putting Champ's legacy on the line with the game... And in regards to him not being committed to the Broncos, he was on a one year deal. It's not like the Broncos were committed to him, I don't expect him to say he expects to retire a Bronco 7 years from now in his first season with the team.
                  You caught my post before I changed it a little. I changed it to say that he was not committed to the Broncos or to playing football. He was kind of teetering with his comments about counseling school kids or maybe playing more football. If that doesn't say the guy doesn't know what he wants to do than I don't know what does. I prefer players that are committed to playing football.

As for the Broncos being committed to him I think their offer to him that he turned down showed some commitment to him after his contract was up. He chose to test the FA waters and the Broncos were not going to wait and lose out on the top 2 CB's in FA which could have cost them more money.
                  sigpic
                  Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                  2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                  2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Am I the only person that is worried about Talib's ability to stay healthy? The guy has NEVER played all 16 games in a season.

That being said I'll take Talib over DRC when healthy. But if he is going to miss a bunch of games with nagging injuries I'll take DRC.
                    MVPeyton!!

Comment

Originally posted by MileHile View Post
                      I think people get confused Elway wanted DRC back but, he didn't take the offer.

I know Talib is top 5 because he can shut down Thomas.

I like how he'll hit running backs as well.
                      I believe that Broncos pulled the offer once Talib was signed.

To me Talib is better - granted I have seen less of him - but DRC loves the big play and he gets burned totally for it at times. In what I have seen of Talib he is more about doing the job and less about getting on tape.

Comment

If healthy Talib. DRC doesn't like to tackle....

Comment

Will we get a compensatory pick for DRC next year? If so, this could make letting him go and signing Talib a good idea, even if they are of equal ability.

Comment

DRC is a very finesse corner that refuses to have anything to do with fighting off receivers to tackle anyone. That's part of the reason SEA ran those plays with Harvin on his side. He does tend to fall asleep from time to time and isn't very good at zone coverage but outisde of all that he can shadow any receiver with ease.

Talib is a lot like Harris, just with the right measurements to match up with the elite receivers. Very scrappy and physical corner that gives receivers fits. He will also contribute in the run game. A real football player compared to DRC who plays more like a track star in pads.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixDread View Post
                              Talib is a lot like Harris, just with the right measurements to match up with the elite receivers. Very scrappy and physical corner that gives receivers fits. He will also contribute in the run game. A real football player compared to DRC who plays more like a track star in pads.
                              I only watched Talib for 5 maybe 6 games last year but I feel this is accurate.

What I really like about Talib is how he battles hard and uses his hands. I really like how he uses his hands to pick balls off and get his hands into the catching area of WRs to force a incompletion.

Like PD said he is allot like Harris with better physical tools.

I see DRC as a great physically gifted CB who does not always play focused. He is not a bad guy and some people will even rally behind some of his quirks but to be great a player needs to be extremely focused in the NFL.

DRC and Talib are different but I would have been happy signing either one to a contract where we can dump the player after a year or two if they start to look bad.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                              X