Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this be the best DL we have had since...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this be the best DL we have had since...?

I joined these forums pretty much because I wanted to discuss with other Broncos fans what I thought was a dire need to improve the DL. It just seems so much of what a defense does becomes easier if the DL as a group is elite. Not just a elite pass rusher or elite duo but imo to have an elite DL you need to have 2-3 guys who can pull down double digit sacks and 2-3 guys who can pull down 4-8 sacks...additionally they need to be able to stop the run while rushing the passer.

For years I have been so envious of watching other teams that have DLs where the entire pocket collapses all game for most of the season and wonder...when is our time man?!?

After years and years of wanting an elite DL...have we gotten one?

Right now we have

D Ware
    T Knighton
    S Williams
    D Wolfe
    K Vickerson
    M Jackson
    Q Smith
    M Unrein
    H Davis
    J Youboty
    M Austin
    S Fua

Not sure who the starters will be but maybe this (imo only Ware and Knighton have roles set in stone...competition will dictate the rest)

D Ware
    T Knighton
    K Vickerson
    D Wolfe (sounds like he will be healthy)

Rotating with

S Williams (imo he started to look really strong after getting more time once Vick went down)
    M Jackson (he put pressure on the QB every game except against NE plus he graded well vs run)
    Q Smith (allot of us wish he was healthy last year)
    M Unrein

The X-Factor is Von Miller and how our defense plays so many different looks...allot of times with Miller coming at the QB/RB with the DL. By adding Ware I feel our DL is already pretty strong but once you factor in JDR's schemes and how he uses Miller I think this pushes us into an elite category.

It is very easy to envision a rotation where no one is weak vs the run...in fact allot of them are strong vs the run...and multiple starters and their backups will have a very good chance to put heat on the QB on any given play.

I think assuming everyone stays healthy this will be the best DL+ we have had since the 1998 team...maybe going back even further.

Personally I am as excited about the DL this year as I was about the offense last year when we signed Welker and Vaz.
    Last edited by Hadez; 05-05-2014, 11:00 AM.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Great starters and starting quality depth at several spots. It will be a solid rotation. :thumb:

In my opinion, the best D-Lines in Bronco history were 1967-1978 which was quite a run. The 1971 line of Lyle Alzado, Paul Smith, Dave Costa and Rich Jackson is hard to match. :2cents:
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Definately one of the best defensive lines we have had on paper, but we won't know till we start playing. Will be hard to top that studly 2007 defensive line lol
      sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Great starters and starting quality depth at several spots. It will be a solid rotation. :thumb:
        N
        In my opinion, the best D-Lines in Bronco history were 1967-1978 which was quite a run. The 1971 line of Lyle Alzado, Paul Smith, Dave Costa and Rich Jackson is hard to match. :2cents:
        If all of these guys are healthy and contribute like it looks like they should. IMO it is the best we have every had.

While your group was good not the depth this one has. Which should mean all year long more rested and ready to go in the playoffs.

Perhaps the best front seven we ever had was the orange crush group but that was more LB oriented.

With Foxes penchant for big bad DLs we should be able to make hay with this group.

Add to JDRs love of the LB. This could be a great defense if we can shore up the DBS.

Comment

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
          Definately one of the best defensive lines we have had on paper, but we won't know till we start playing. Will be hard to top that studly 2007 defensive line lol
          Hope that was sarcasm if not

I must have blinked during the play they made.

Comment

I remember in 1986, the Broncos recorded a record 5 sacks in 6 consecutive games. The Line up consisted of Rulon Jones, Rubin Carter and Andre Townsend with Karl Mecklenburg occasionally blitzing at the LB spot or coming in as a down lineman. That was a great line up. Problem was, there was no depth. The latter half of the season the Dline wore down and only had 15 sacks over the last 8 games. This years version has depth and can rotate at will to keep everyone fresh. Thats the key, fresh legs.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
              I remember in 1986, the Broncos recorded a record 5 sacks in 6 consecutive games. The Line up consisted of Rulon Jones, Rubin Carter and Andre Townsend with Karl Mecklenburg occasionally blitzing at the LB spot or coming in as a down lineman. That was a great line up. Problem was, there was no depth. The latter half of the season the Dline wore down and only had 15 sacks over the last 8 games. This years version has depth and can rotate at will to keep everyone fresh. Thats the key, fresh legs.
              That is the team I think of when thinking of great DL play. The 3-4 is kinda tricky when counting DL and our Meck-era 3-4 even more. Simon Fletcher was a real good OLB pass rusher and Meck played any spot in the front seven of the 3-4. He does not get much creds but Kragen imo was one heck of a NT. You do not see sacks but he held the middle of that defense as good as any NT occupied blockers and held his ground. Meck was not gifted by great physical talent but Kragen kept blockers off him and Meck used great heart and brains to make allot of plays.

I only know the 60s and 70s teams by reputation but I watched the 80s-90s teams very closely and that 1986 team put furious pressure on opposing teams.

If the 2014 Broncos can get 5 sacks a game for 6 games in a row I will go crazy specially if it is the last six games of the regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl!!
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I didn't get to watch that one. The best line I've seen was:

Neil Smith
                Trevor Pryce
                Keith Traylor
                Alfred Williams

What made it dominant was both Traylor and Alfred peaked.
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                  Hope that was sarcasm if not

I must have blinked during the play they made.
                  Yup it was sarcasm 2007 was one of the worst we ever fielded
                  sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Yup it was sarcasm 2007 was one of the worst we ever fielded
                    BUT BUT we drafted a bunch of them that year.

Comment

Lol

You actually make a good point.

The last couple years Denver has had very below average defensive lines on paper but they've played well. Anything can happen once the games start.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                        I didn't get to watch that one. The best line I've seen was:

Neil Smith
                        Trevor Pryce
                        Keith Traylor
                        Alfred Williams

What made it dominant was both Traylor and Alfred peaked.
                        Thank you, and they were light out in the playoffs, especially the '98 season...Maa Tanuvasa and Harold Hasselback weren't bad either

Comment

Pretty good line for sure, lot of flexibility.

Comment

I loved the 97-98 defensive unit. Atwater, Romanowski, Braxton, Mobley, Smith, Williams, Pryce etc were a great unit and vastly underrated IMO.
                            www.nrlhub.com NRL HUB

Comment

I agree. Alzado and Tombstone were mean, nasty and very good. Paul Smith is one of the most underrated Broncos of all time and was the first player to play 10 years for the Broncos. I think John Grant was a backup on this team, and another pretty good DL.

Comment

Working...
                              X