Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreakyLordGumby
    replied
    there was 11 seconds to go so there wasnt much of an option to stay in the game...if we hadnt gone for the field goal and the receiver or runner not made the end zone or out-of-bounds the game would be over and people would be PO'd at shannahan for not taking the field goal...so he did what he thought was right and it worked so i would look at it from Coach's point of view...he was gonna cop flak for whatever he did so he did what he thought would work and keep us in the game and he should get some credit for keeping a cool head in a real nail biter of a situation.

Leave a comment:

• broncos_mtnman
    replied
    Re: He is a good coach.

Originally posted by Emancipator
    We are behind Mike all the way. He makes great decisions.
    Yea, like signing Darrel Gardner, Dale Carter, etc, etc, etc...

Leave a comment:

• BroncoMatt
    replied
    It's like that old saying, when you throw the ball only 3 things can happen, and 2 of them aren't good. Take the automatic field goal with Elam, he did the right thing.

Leave a comment:

• BroncosFanInPA
    replied
    Re: Re: Shannahan

Originally posted by Javalon
    Having no timeouts was the issue. If there was a sack, Cleveland wins. Or some stupid play where the ball is thrown short of the endzone and the receiver doesn't get out of bounds.

While I wouldn't have minded one shot at the endzone, I definitely didn't mind the call.

We won. That's what matters.
    yes i understand we had no timeouts & would have been risky to try but would you have loved to see throw a jump ball to lelie, after what he just did i think he would have won it. well anyway i was so glad to see him finally come up with a big time catch & one that may very well have saved our season

Leave a comment:

• elwayfan2k
    replied
    1 word
    Elam
    He had faith in Elam and rightfully so remember he did knock through a 51 yard FG earlier in the game

Leave a comment:

• pikman
    replied
    Re: Shannahan

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA
    I think he's got issues, somebody please tell me why he kicked the field goal right after they spiked the ball, there was still 11 seconds remaining & that is plenty of time to take a shot in the end zone, what are you thoughts?
    11 seconds is a lot of time as long as; the ball isn't caught then the receiver tries to be a hero ends up in the middle of the field, down by contact, no time outs, game over Denver loses.

Or kick the three, go into OT with a dominant defence and strong kicker, win the game.

Excellent coaching decision.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Re: Shannahan

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA
    I think he's got issues, somebody please tell me why he kicked the field goal right after they spiked the ball, there was still 11 seconds remaining & that is plenty of time to take a shot in the end zone, what are you thoughts?
    Having no timeouts was the issue. If there was a sack, Cleveland wins. Or some stupid play where the ball is thrown short of the endzone and the receiver doesn't get out of bounds.

While I wouldn't have minded one shot at the endzone, I definitely didn't mind the call.

We won. That's what matters.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMMERFAN16
    replied
    Re: He is a good coach.

Originally posted by Emancipator
    We are behind Mike all the way. He makes great decisions.
    Speak for yourself. He is a great coach, but he makes me wonder if he and Spurrier are brothers.

Leave a comment:

• BroncosFanInPA
    replied
    Shannahan

Leave a comment:

• orangenblue420
    replied
    This thread reminded me of the Brett Farve commercial where its MOnday morning and he goes around town telling everyone how they should have done this and they should have done that. Its' funny as hell, has anyone seen it?

And I still feel there is something amiss about our team, our luck keeps going from bad to worse......Isn't Shannahan an Irish name? Would this be the luck of the Irish we are feeling at the moment?

Leave a comment:

• Carmine
    replied
    I dont know of a coach in the NFL who would settle for a field goal when it wasnt fourth down. You guys that are mad at Shanahan for continuing the drive are the same ones who would be pissing and moaning if he didnt take advantage of those extra downs had he got impatient and missed a field goal due to a block or bad snap. Never have I seen a coach not use all downs provided time allowed it. YOu never settle for a field goal unless there is no choice.

Leave a comment:

• RealBronco
    replied
    Okay I agree with Shanahan's play-calling. We had the ball. We had the Clock. We were driving down the field and the runs were working. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." You don't EVER kick a field goal on 1 and 10!

You can't go in there and be afraid every single play that your starters will get hurt or you'll never win a game. It's overtime. You have one of the most lethal weapons in the NFL. Use him!!! Besides, he was walking on it so it's probably a sprain (hopefully).

You never want to make the kicker have to win the game. Even if you have the best one in the league. Wind can be a factor, a bad snap, who knows what can happen. I have total faith in Elam. Just not those other factors. If it's 1 and 10, you keep going until it's fourth down and then let Elam win the game--since we all know he can (and DID!) But if you keep getting first downs...and you're that close...you keep driving for the Endzone.

Bottom line: We won. End of story. Good job Elam, Portis, Lelie, Plummer...and Shanahan.

Leave a comment:

• Orange&Blue
    replied
    Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
    Weren't we at their 10 yard line when Shanny decided to run Portis again? If so, I don't understand the call he made.
    Yes it was 1st and 10 at the 10. Shanahan was hoping Portis would make a 10 TD run.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMMERFAN16
    replied
    Weren't we at their 10 yard line when Shanny decided to run Portis again? If so, I don't understand the call he made.

Leave a comment:

• WinFirst
    replied
    Originally posted by Javalon
    I agree, that probably would have worked. But you know the Shanny-bashers would be out in force screaming "Why pass the ball when the Browns couldn't stop the run in overtime?!"

What a tough job where even after you win the game you still get criticized.

I hope Portis is alright. But I'll bet if you asked him, he'd probably say he didn't mind getting the ball. I'm sure he would have liked to punch it in there for the game-winning TD.
    This is right on. He get into the endzone & Shanny is a genius. Instead, the worst case happened & CP is hurt.

When you are driving in overtime & the run is working, you run the ball. Period. If Jake drops back & throws an INT, then it would be time for us all to question Shanny.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X