Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will CLINTON PORTIS get some respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Holmes is horribly overrated.

But, he IS a good back; but not as great as everyone says. He's great overall but there's a few reasons Portis is better:

Younger (by far). Faster. Seemingly the same power. Far more agile. Orange shoes. Best acceleration in the league. And finally, my opinion: better awareness.

I'd prefer we go back to handing the ball off to Portis 20 to 25 times per game. Backs who take 30-40 rushes a game get worn down career-wise (Edgerrin James and Eddie George, and what I think: Ricky Williams); but this isn't true for all backs (Emmitt Smith).

Oh and Barry Sanders may have been great but he was terribly inconsistent. Here's how a drive would go for the Lions:

Hand off to Barry. Goes up the middle and gets stuffed.

Hand off to Barry, tries to go around tackle, sees nothing GOES THE OTHER WAY and gets tackled for a five yard loss.

3rd down.

Pitch to Barry; Barry runs around until the defense is tired as hell or he just eventually gets away with all that juking and jockstrap-ripping moves he does.

Personally I'd rather have any back that would at least get three to four yards per carry each hand off.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
    - Carl Sagan

Comment

I might want to add:

Personally I'd rather have any back that would at least get three to four yards per carry each hand off...

...unless I was the Lions.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
      - Carl Sagan

Comment

People need to relize that being a good back does not mean getting 22 touchdowns or 300 yards in a game. It means being a big player that makes big plays and helps your team win. CP is a great back and just because Denver has other goal plays then runs and portis has less td's, does not mean he is a worse back.
        Clinton Portis=GOD

Comment

Originally posted by COOLTOOL
          Are you serious... NOBODY could hold a candle to Barry, not even your precious Dante. Lets try to be a little more realistic and not try to show soooo........ much favoritism. Dante is good, but as good a Barry, com'on. Thanks for the laugh though .
          I think you're showing your bias kid. Either that or you never actually saw Barry make a cut. Even a biased fan should be able to see the similarities when Dante cuts. And just to make it even clearer, I’m not saying Dante’s the greatest ever (and who said Dante was as good as Barry anyways?). Barry is the greatest running back ever, but if you don’t see similarities in their CUTS then you’re blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom13
            People need to relize that being a good back does not mean getting 22 touchdowns or 300 yards in a game. It means being a big player that makes big plays and helps your team win. CP is a great back and just because Denver has other goal plays then runs and portis has less td's, does not mean he is a worse back.
            You score in the red zone with a running back that can get into the endzone. That makes your team even better.

Priest Holmes.....overrated.... He's playing hurt kids, go back to last year and the year before to see how he has established himself. He's still 3rd in the AFC in rushing hurt. Priests' yards are hard fought too. His longest run is something like 30 yards. How many 30+ does Portis have? Priest is consistent. Portis is very good, but his averages are only better because he will break off a long run here and there. Priest belts out 5 yard runs and helps his team down the field on every drive. In the Dever games I've seen (granted only a few) Portis doesn't contribute on every drive. And because Priest has nice hands, you can invlove him in the running game. Both backs are good, but in no way. shape, or form is Priest overrated.

Comment

Priest belts out 5 yard runs and helps his team down the field on every drive.
              Thats because Holmes is the only thing on the Chefs offense that is actually worth anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefsMang
                I think you're showing your bias kid. Either that or you never actually saw Barry make a cut. Even a biased fan should be able to see the similarities when Dante cuts. And just to make it even clearer, I’m not saying Dante’s the greatest ever (and who said Dante was as good as Barry anyways?). Barry is the greatest running back ever, but if you don’t see similarities in their CUTS then you’re blind.
                It would shock you to know, "I hate Barry". Yes, I said it. But, realistically speaking, there is no comparison between Dante and Barry. Just because you think hes made a few cuts like Barry, doesn't mean much. Anyone can mimic another players movements, but that doesn't mean their comparable. I've seen Jake make a few Elway like passes, but its way too soon to compare them.

... Believe me there is no bais here for Barry. I am not a fan of his, nor was I ever. If fact... I wish there would have been a better back over the years. Emmitt, Payton, h*ll even Bo Jackson would have been better! But, as far as raw talent... Barry was the greatest.

... I know some say that Quentin Griffen looks like Barry, when he runs. But, even if that was the case... Only many CONSISTENT years, of the same running style, would ever lead me to compare the two of them. I'm just not that arrogant.

Comment

Working...
                X