Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Curran - Manning Responsible for Welker's Concussions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tom Curran - Manning Responsible for Welker's Concussions

    http://www.csnne.com/new-england-pat...ker-concussion

    Wes Welker’s sitting with another concussion today not because D.J. Swearinger hit him in the helmet but because Peyton Manning threw the ball into a team meeting Saturday night.

    Manning can be as pissed as he wants to be at Swearinger but he bears some of the burden for throwing over the middle to his 190-pound concussion-prone receiver with a converging mass of three Texans. In a preseason game. When Manning wasn’t under pressure.

    Manning threw what is commonly referred to as a hospital ball.

    There’s an incredible amount of trust receivers put in their quarterbacks to keep them out of harm’s way as best they can. Sometimes, those hits are unavoidable and the receivers accept that huge, brain-rattling hits are part of the game and the cost of doing business.

    Welker took his share of hits in New England as well. Ryan Clark of the Steelers devastated Welker in 2008 after an incomplete pass. He got smoked by Bernard Pollard of the Ravens in the 2012 AFC Championship.

    But you’ll have a hard time finding a pile of plays where Welker got led into the middle of traffic and then asked to go get the ball and wound up knocked out.

    It’s Welker’s third concussion in 10 months. Of the other two he sustained, one was him running around too long when he should have hit the deck against Kansas City. The other was a little option route in the middle of the field on which Manning led Welker into George Wilson of the Titans by Manning.

    This isn’t isolated to Welker either. Austin Collie got knocked into oblivion with regularity while catching passes from Manning.

    Manning is a genius pre-snap. But post-snap, you have to wonder how he doesn’t see the potential for disaster unfolding on some of his throws. Or maybe he does and the fact he delivers the ball with less velocity than every other quarterback in the league is the problem. A quarterback who rips the ball to an open receiver gives him a chance to get out of harm’s way. Manning delivers some flutterballs.

    When Welker signed with Denver and people asked me how he’d do, I told more than a few that Manning would get him hurt. Welker needed to be handled with care and Brady did that for six seasons.

    Is Wes Welker better off where he is now? Nobody can make that case.

    But you know what? Brady, Bill Belichick and anybody who cares about Welker has to be wishing right now that he never left.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

  • #2
    Read this article too and I all I felt was that this guy was still pissed that Welker left. Mile High Report had a good response to it.
    http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/8...rs-concussions


    Good read with good pictures of examples.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Merrick44 View Post
      Read this article too and I all I felt was that this guy was still pissed that Welker left. Mile High Report had a good response to it.
      http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/8...rs-concussions


      Good read with good pictures of examples.
      Great article. I sent a copy to Tom Curran. I hope he reads it. Probably not.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

      Comment


      • #4
        Typical NE sour grapes, blah blah blah. Wonder how many time la he was concussed with the Pansy's, but they never reported it. I know the rules are different now, but gimme a break. Yet another example of anything to do with the Pats stinks. I wonder what this tool wrote on that ball that Welker "missed" in the SB. I'm sure like everyone else he blamed Welker. God forbid someone would think to mention that the ball was poorly thrown and the only reason it was almost caught was because of Welker. I hope we destroy the Pats this year. Sooooooooo sick of them

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
          Great article. I sent a copy to Tom Curran. I hope he reads it. Probably not.
          He will probably write an article about how Bronco Mike is to blame next.

          Comment


          • #6
            Manning as a single performer is not solely responsible for this concussion

            The Broncos made a collective choice to be a tougher team this year and going over the middle is one of the scariest jobs in football.

            If anyone is responsible I would say the entire organization and each and every player is responsible for it because they are going to try and win a World Championship. And also the defender bears responsibility - since it was a penalty there's no question the defender bears the most responsibility. But this could happen on a clean play too - and when it does it'll be because the Denver Broncos choose to not back down from intimidating situations because they want to win the big cheese.

            Oh and I salute Welker for his courage.
            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

            Comment


            • #7
              I will say that there was no reason for Manning to put that ball there. He had other options.

              But, they probably drew up that play specifically for Wes...so...
              sigpic

              Hooray, beer!

              Comment


              • #8
                Welker is a "slot" receiver, which means most of his routes will be in the middle of the field. So unless Manning doesn't throw to him at all, he WILL get hit. And honestly, I don't think the Swearinger hit was dirty (didn't deserve a penalty IMO) and the collision wasn't all that violent. It just appears that at this point, Welker is concussion prone. I hope I'm wrong and he makes it back completely healthy, but another concussion and his career may be over.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's unfortunate that Welker was concussed and I'm sure if he could do it again Manning would put the ball in a better spot for him, now having said that, Tom Curran is the biggest Patriots cheerleader going, this just comes off as a guy ho wants to needle at the Broncos.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    All that needs to be known with this ... "reporter/writer/..." is that he is from New England, what he has to say is in the negative category, as in below zero.

                    I have watched that play maybe 10 times, it seems to me Swearinger did not need to hit him in the head and clearly looks like he targeted Welker's head. It wasn't necessary, especially in a preseason game. Definitely deserved a flag considering what flags are thrown for nowadays; was it "dirty"? Not necessarily unless its dirty to target a person's head ... OK maybe.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Merrick44 View Post
                      Read this article too and I all I felt was that this guy was still pissed that Welker left. Mile High Report had a good response to it.
                      http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/8...rs-concussions


                      Good read with good pictures of examples.
                      I love Bronco Mike's closing line;

                      Take a bow M_______s--you've taken idiocy to the next level.
                      sigpic
                      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        think currans article is about as accurate as me saying that peyton is responsible for the other 60 concussions thats happened in preseason alone.

                        anyone for an over/under on total concussions this year?
                        Glen Haven Fire

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                          http://www.csnne.com/new-england-pat...ker-concussion

                          Wes Welker’s sitting with another concussion today not because D.J. Swearinger hit him in the helmet but because Peyton Manning threw the ball into a team meeting Saturday night.

                          Manning can be as pissed as he wants to be at Swearinger but he bears some of the burden for throwing over the middle to his 190-pound concussion-prone receiver with a converging mass of three Texans. In a preseason game. When Manning wasn’t under pressure.

                          Manning threw what is commonly referred to as a hospital ball.

                          There’s an incredible amount of trust receivers put in their quarterbacks to keep them out of harm’s way as best they can. Sometimes, those hits are unavoidable and the receivers accept that huge, brain-rattling hits are part of the game and the cost of doing business.

                          Welker took his share of hits in New England as well. Ryan Clark of the Steelers devastated Welker in 2008 after an incomplete pass. He got smoked by Bernard Pollard of the Ravens in the 2012 AFC Championship.

                          But you’ll have a hard time finding a pile of plays where Welker got led into the middle of traffic and then asked to go get the ball and wound up knocked out.

                          It’s Welker’s third concussion in 10 months. Of the other two he sustained, one was him running around too long when he should have hit the deck against Kansas City. The other was a little option route in the middle of the field on which Manning led Welker into George Wilson of the Titans by Manning.

                          This isn’t isolated to Welker either. Austin Collie got knocked into oblivion with regularity while catching passes from Manning.

                          Manning is a genius pre-snap. But post-snap, you have to wonder how he doesn’t see the potential for disaster unfolding on some of his throws. Or maybe he does and the fact he delivers the ball with less velocity than every other quarterback in the league is the problem. A quarterback who rips the ball to an open receiver gives him a chance to get out of harm’s way. Manning delivers some flutterballs.

                          When Welker signed with Denver and people asked me how he’d do, I told more than a few that Manning would get him hurt. Welker needed to be handled with care and Brady did that for six seasons.

                          Is Wes Welker better off where he is now? Nobody can make that case.

                          But you know what? Brady, Bill Belichick and anybody who cares about Welker has to be wishing right now that he never left.
                          Never heard of Tom Curran.....am I supposed to care what sour grapes he has?
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Tom Curran, "How (to try) to stay relevant in 1000 words or less."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              When Peyton sees an open receiver he should definitely take a moment to assess whether or not that receiver will be hit in such a way that will result in a concussion. While he's taking the time to do that, he's getting sacked, suffering from a concussion himself. yeah.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X