X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanzo the Razor
    replied
    Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
    I think our first primetime game will be Sunday night.
    It was the opener against the Colts.

Leave a comment:

• MileHighInNY
    replied
    Originally posted by Hanzo the Razor View Post
    I hate to blame refs, I really do. When there's video evidence of a penalty being committed, it's hard to argue with.

That said, I noticed that during a special teams play, a Broncos player was called for holding or something -- but as I was watching live, I saw that the Jets player hit him with a block in the back right before the penalty occurred. When the flag was thrown, I was sure the block in the back was called -- but the Broncos player was the one penalized. It was frustrating.

Looking at the NFL penalty numbers this year, I see the Jets have averaged 7.33 penalties a game -- odd that it was so much lower than their average this past game.
    The fact that the refs missed calls that should have resulted in Jets penalties is one thing.

But even if you want to blame the refs, or embark on some sort of conspiracy theory, the Broncos still allowed it to happen by committing their own penalties through poor and sloppy play. Even if the refs had somehow decided to call everything against the Broncos and nothing against the Jets, the Broncos gave them a lot of opportunities to make those calls.

The offensive line simply got manhandled. On almost every play, Denver's blockers either let a defender into the backfield right away, or committed holding in order to stop it from happening. You don't get 11 penalties for over one hundred yards unless you are either outclassed in talent or undisciplined. On Sunday, the Broncos O-line was both.

Leave a comment:

• MegaOrange
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    There is that and there is also viewership. The Broncos game was televised ALL OVER the place. Canada & the US. So if the game which is the primary game televised is all of a sudden a blow-out then it would likely cut into viewership. As I stated though it is quite concerning that such a blatant facemask call was just ignored. The NFL just as other professional leagues have are trying to find ways to make the game safer. My not calling something like that it undermines that entire message.
    The only problem with this theory is I've already seen several prime time national games that quickly became blowouts. Games that were specifically chosen for prime time viewership. I think our first primetime game will be Sunday night.

Just a brief look at those games where the point differential was high time and time again the common factor is turnovers. Something refs have a hard time controlling. We are still not getting turnovers. We're +1 on the year. That's tied for 18th in the league.

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    Originally posted by Hanzo the Razor View Post
    I hate to blame refs, I really do. When there's video evidence of a penalty being committed, it's hard to argue with.

That said, I noticed that during a special teams play, a Broncos player was called for holding or something -- but as I was watching live, I saw that the Jets player hit him with a block in the back right before the penalty occurred. When the flag was thrown, I was sure the block in the back was called -- but the Broncos player was the one penalized. It was frustrating.

Looking at the NFL penalty numbers this year, I see the Jets have averaged 7.33 penalties a game -- odd that it was so much lower than their average this past game.
    We played undisciplined, probably due to our weakness in the run, so I am not surprised at our flags (if a guy's not a great run blocker, holds are inevitable).

There were some blatant missed calls on the Jets though that could of been game changing. One in particular was the route Tamme ran that Manning looked like he under threw which hit the defender in the left leg. The replay clearly showed defensive holding which was probably why Tamme was not where Manning threw the ball. Another was the call against Carter (I think) on ST with the hands to the face penalty. It was hands to the face but the defender was also holding him what looked like by the pads. Both should have been flagged and we should have re-kicked.

Leave a comment:

• armedequation
    replied
    anyones opinions on how cornick did?

Leave a comment:

• Hanzo the Razor
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    It was stunning to me that the Jets only had 2 flags. That is so unrealistic that I believe something is operating behind the scenes. I do believe they are trying to keep the game closer; perhaps not wanting Jets fans to leave the stadium by halftime or early as it would look terrible for that to happen 2 games in a row.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    It was stunning to me that the Jets only had 2 flags. That is so unrealistic that I believe something is operating behind the scenes. I do believe they are trying to keep the game closer; perhaps not wanting Jets fans to leave the stadium by halftime or early as it would look terrible for that to happen 2 games in a row.
    There is that and there is also viewership. The Broncos game was televised ALL OVER the place. Canada & the US. So if the game which is the primary game televised is all of a sudden a blow-out then it would likely cut into viewership. As I stated though it is quite concerning that such a blatant facemask call was just ignored. The NFL just as other professional leagues have are trying to find ways to make the game safer. My not calling something like that it undermines that entire message.

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    Part of me almost wonders if the officials are being instructed to try and keep these games close so long as they can find a call. the super easy call which was just stupid was the Fasemask on Juwan Thompson. So much for player safety I guess....

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Eleven penalties on one team and two on the other is a red flag not only for officiating competence, but for bias as well. Throw in some obvious calls they missed, and I think a worse crew than Vinovich's has been discovered: Brad Allen's. Officiating is so uneven, Pat Kirwan says it is taken into account in the game plan.
    Part of me almost wonders if the officials are being instructed to try and keep these games close so long as they can find a call. the super easy call which was just stupid was the Fasemask on Juwan Thompson. So much for player safety I guess....

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Eleven penalties on one team and two on the other is a red flag not only for officiating competence, but for bias as well. Throw in some obvious calls they missed, and I think a worse crew than Vinovich's has been discovered: Brad Allen's. Officiating is so uneven, Pat Kirwan says it is taken into account in the game plan.

Leave a comment:

• UnitedInOrange
    replied
    Did you see how Dallas beat Seattle? Their Oline BULLIED the Seattle Dline. Never thought I'd see it.

I don't know what happened to Manny. He was a PFF top 5 center last near, and handled Ngata well.

I don't know what happened to Vasquez. He's got more penalties this season than the previous 5 seasons or something.

I don't know what happened to Clady. He is beat for sacks all the time. He is NOT even close to Pro Bowl level.

Franklin's the same other than the position mismatch, and Clark has always been kinda below average.

But the first three guys (Manny, Vasquez, Clady) have dropped off quite a bit from last year...and they were the guys who didn't change position!
    Last edited by UnitedInOrange; 10-14-2014, 11:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hanzo the Razor
    replied
    All that said, I am looking at some of the teams Denver will have to face in the coming weeks. Woof.
    FO PASS RUSH RANKINGS
    3. Chiefs
    5. Dolphins
    6. Bills
    7. Chargers
    11. Patriots
    19. Bengals
    27. Raiders
    31. Niners
    32. Rams

Of course two of the top ten are in the AFC West...
    FO RUN STOP RANKINGS
    4. Rams
    5. Bills
    8. Dolphins
    13. Niners
    18. Raiders
    22. Chargers
    23. Bengals
    28. Patriots
    32. Chiefs

So obviously, some of these teams you're going to want to run against more than pass against. Further emphasizing the need for a balanced offense. Of the Broncos opponents, only the Bills and Dolphins have top ten rankings in both run and pass defense.

Leave a comment:

• Hanzo the Razor
    replied
    I am also not thrilled with how the offensive line has looked during certain points of the season. Obviously, the run blocking needs improvement and there has been a fair amount of pressure allowed.

All that said -- and this isn't an excuse, just looking at the facts out there -- they have faced some of the best defensive lines and front sevens in the NFL over the first five games of the season according to Football Outsiders and looking at traditional stats --
    FO PASS RUSH RANKINGS
    1. Jets
    2. Chiefs
    8. Colts
    10. Broncos
    TOTAL SACKS
    2. Jets
    6. Colts
    7. Chiefs
    7. Broncos (tied with six other teams)

And for run defense --
    FO RUN BLOCK RANKINGS
    1. Cardinals
    3. Seahawks
    6. Broncos
    7. Jets
    YARDS ALLOWED PER ATTEMPT
    2. Seahawks
    3. Cardinals
    5. Broncos
    6. Jets

So every team the Broncos have faced are in the top ten in one category or another (the Jets are in both). The good news? The Broncos defense is in the top ten in every category.

Leave a comment:

• assassin216
    replied
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- A weekly look at what the Denver Broncos must fix:

In an offense built on precision and making split-second changes at the line of scrimmage to put itself in the best possible play, the Broncos continue to give defenses too many second chances with penalties.

Yes, 4-1 is, and always will be, the bottom line. The Broncos win pretty, they win not so pretty, but penalties are self-inflicted items that seem to hurt worse the deeper a team is into the football calendar, so what gets overcome now might not be with a Super Bowl trip on the line.

And while the Broncos might not agree with all of the flags -- and they don't -- their 51 penalties in five games put them in not-so-good company. Of the 13 teams which have been flagged at least 51 times this season, only the St. Louis Rams (1-4) and Broncos have not yet played six games.

The team’s offensive line continues to draw many of those flags, even as it struggles to tighten up the gaps in the run-blocking scheme. The Broncos are always going to draw the occasional holding penalty to keep any rushers who get free from hitting quarterback Peyton Manning -- better a 10-yard walk-off than a clean shot on Manning -- but some defensive coaches in the league say the Broncos linemen are tipping their hand with their footwork in the run game by having the linemen back out slightly before they pull to run wide.

Defensive linemen are shooting those gaps as soon as they see the movement. Broncos linemen have been flagged for several holding penalties in the run game, including two more Sunday against the New York Jets, as they have tried to combat that.

In all on Sunday, four of the five starting offensive linemen drew flags in the game. The one who didn't, right tackle Chris Clark, is the most penalized player on the team at the moment.

Right guard Louis Vasquez, who has played through some back and rib issues this season, has already drawn three flags, or the same number he did in all of the 2013 season when he was named an All Pro.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...-lie-broncos-4

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    Ramirez graded the worst of any Bronco this season at -5.9 and his lowest grade in his seven years in the league. @PFF.

Should he sit and have Montgomery come in at center? Should he move back to guard and we re-shuffle our line, perhaps benching Clark and putting Franklin back at RT?

Either way, our OL has been nothing short of disappointment in numerous area this season.

Lots to think about this week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X