No announcement yet.

How far in advance do the Broncos plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far in advance do the Broncos plan?

When Fox/Del Rio/Peyton/(fill in speaker here) get up to talk, they will only talk about the next upcomming game. Their "focus" will only be the San Francisco game and they wouldn't even think about talking to the press about the San Diego game (which is only one and 1/2 weeks from now).

Out of the two games, the San Diego game is clearly the most important game.

The SF game is important, like other games and I feel we will plan effectively and win this game this upcomming Sunday night.

But what about the San Diego game? There is a limited amount of time between the Sunday 10/19 night game and the Thursday 10/23 game. Do we start integrating some of our San Diego game plan in this week when we are prepping for SF?

Last year we lost at home to San Diego. And, yes, it was a home game for us. And, yes, it was a Thursday night game.
    What can we do differently this year to plan for one of our more important regular season games this year?
    Last edited by johntbronco; 10-13-2014, 09:41 AM.

They're both equally as important, they're professionals. If you start looking ahead to certain opponents that's a sure fire way of losing. You don't start game planning for a team that isn't on your schedule this week. The coaching staff has people behind the scenes that do advanced scouting and all that other good stuff so by the time the 49ers game is over, all the Chargers tape and reports are ready to go.

Besides, it's a divisional opponent. We played them three times last season, we know their tendencies, we know a large chunk of their playbook, we know their weapons. It's not like this is a team in the NFC that we haven't played in over three years.

Everything will be fine.

Comment

Preparation for a game starts with scouting. Football teams at all levels prepare season long for all opponents. Scouting reports are accumulated and the closer an opponent is on the calendar, the more a game plan starts to come into shape. When the last game prior to an opponent is played, the data is as complete as it will be.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

They're not overlooking San Diego, but they can only prepare for the game ahead.

The good news is that San Diego will also be playing on a short turnaround and have a divisional opponent this weekend in the Chiefs. And the Broncos get to play the Chargers at home in this Thursday game -- I'd rather have the Thursday game in Denver instead of San Diego, no?

Despite the results of last year's game, Denver has the advantage of home-field and a healthier roster (right now, at least).

Comment

A couple of my friends had dinner with Zac Dysert in Denver a week or two ago.

He told them the only reason he's on the team (practice squad) is to scout defensive players for Peyton Manning. He can't fly on the same planes as the team to away games but they'll still fly him out, where he'll give Manning presentations on every defensive player on the other team. Supposedly he has to do a complete college like report on each one for players of upcoming games, and then turns it into Manning.

So our coaches (who I think are terrible at preparations) might only be looking to the next game but I'm guessing Dysert is doing some of their preparations for them.
          :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hanzo the Razor View Post
            They're not overlooking San Diego, but they can only prepare for the game ahead.

The good news is that San Diego will also be playing on a short turnaround and have a divisional opponent this weekend in the Chiefs. And the Broncos get to play the Chargers at home in this Thursday game -- I'd rather have the Thursday game in Denver instead of San Diego, no?

Despite the results of last year's game, Denver has the advantage of home-field and a healthier roster (right now, at least).
            Yes you are correct that we have the home field advantage and health.
            Division opponents always tend to be the harder games. The other team knows you much better and can plan better. I still feel we will win, but it will be a closer game than the other games this year.

Comment

I believe they call it advance scouting, which in tandem with the regular schedule, allows you to focus on each weekly game, while keeping eyes on the other teams on the schedule.

Clearly the coaching staff has to prepare exclusively for the team in front of them. As the grouchiest coach in football put it,

"We're on to Cincinnati."
              Last edited by CanDB; 10-13-2014, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                A couple of my friends had dinner with Zac Dysert in Denver a week or two ago.

He told them the only reason he's on the team (practice squad) is to scout defensive players for Peyton Manning. He can't fly on the same planes as the team to away games but they'll still fly him out, where he'll give Manning presentations on every defensive player on the other team. Supposedly he has to do a complete college like report on each one for players of upcoming games, and then turns it into Manning.

So our coaches (who I think are terrible at preparations) might only be looking to the next game but I'm guessing Dysert is doing some of their preparations for them.
                Wow, that's interesting. Is this a normal thing teams do or something unique to our team?
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                  Yes you are correct that we have the home field advantage and health.
                  Division opponents always tend to be the harder games. The other team knows you much better and can plan better. I still feel we will win, but it will be a closer game than the other games this year.
                  I agree but I feel that if one team has an advantage going into that game, it's the Broncos.

Comment

Like mentioned there is a scouting department and there is probably (should be with the money the NFL teams pull in) someone whose job it is to be scouting Cin each week even tho we do not play them til later.

Dunno how our team does it but the first couple day or two of the week I would have the team work on fixing mistakes while the "minds" of the team come up with the game plan. Implement the game plan on Tue or Wed I suppose and work on it until Sat.

You have a good point about short weeks but if we spend time preparing for two games at once imo we are not properly prepared for either game and that puts losing both games as risk.

It would be interesting to read what coaching staffs around the NFL have done about short weeks and specially now that they all will be division games.
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                      Wow, that's interesting. Is this a normal thing teams do or something unique to our team?
                      I read that PM has been doing with with all his backup QBs to some extent or another. Maybe the PS/3rd stringer always does this but the other backup has another job.

Then they all get together and share notes so they have all the same knowledge come game day.
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                        Like mentioned there is a scouting department and there is probably (should be with the money the NFL teams pull in) someone whose job it is to be scouting Cin each week even tho we do not play them til later.

Dunno how our team does it but the first couple day or two of the week I would have the team work on fixing mistakes while the "minds" of the team come up with the game plan. Implement the game plan on Tue or Wed I suppose and work on it until Sat.

You have a good point about short weeks but if we spend time preparing for two games at once imo we are not properly prepared for either game and that puts losing both games as risk.

It would be interesting to read what coaching staffs around the NFL have done about short weeks and specially now that they all will be division games.
                        Yes, each scout collects data on every team. That video and data are then loaded to the iPads for each player to watch. The coaches will meet and decide based on the data what to install in the gameplan. Some of the data goes back a few years. For the short weeks I am told that the players are basically married to the iPad and studying tendencies of teams as a whole and individual players. Coaches burn the midnight oil analyzing and devising the plan. If I remember correctly, on short weeks, a lot of what will be installed is farmed out to the assistant coordinators while the HC and OC and DC work on what worked and didn't work the previous week. Good offensive and defensive teams usually have good assistant coordinators as well.

Comment

Jim Harbaugh took shots at Peyton in person...How did I miss this?

I just read that during his attempt at the comeback in 2012, Peyton was throwing with Coach Harbaugh, and right to his face Harbaugh says his passes have more mustard on them than Peyton's. I know Harbaugh a strange guy, but what a statement. According to the report, the comment didn't go well with Peyton. Again, this isn't new, but was interesting especially being that the 9ers are coming to town. I can't wait for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
                            I just read that during his attempt at the comeback in 2012, Peyton was throwing with Coach Harbaugh, and right to his face Harbaugh says his passes have more mustard on them than Peyton's. I know Harbaugh a strange guy, but what a statement. According to the report, the comment didn't go well with Peyton. Again, this isn't new, but was interesting especially being that the 9ers are coming to town. I can't wait for this one.
                            Link?

It was accurate actually. It took time for the nerve to regenerate. Peyton was considering the 49ers but probably would have never really given them any serious consideration. Hopefully he uses this as fuel.
                            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                              Link?

It was accurate actually. It took time for the nerve to regenerate. Peyton was considering the 49ers but probably would have never really given them any serious consideration. Hopefully he uses this as fuel.
                              I'm sure Peyton remembers. Harbaugh played QB, so the statement may have been true at the time, but how do you make that statement in Peyton's face, knowing he's recovering.

From the ESPN article below:
                              "Harbaugh and Manning were throwing the ball, so it goes, when the coach couldn't help but remark that his passes had more mustard on them than the still-rehabbing future Hall of Famer's did. You can guess how that went over."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...aos-difficulty

Comment

Working...
                              X