Broncos Have The Edge Over The 49ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Have The Edge Over The 49ers

We are now entering another difficult part of the schedule, and it's time to show the league that we are a legit contender once again. This Sunday is a game I am anxiously looking forward to. The 49ers have been one of the elite teams in this league since we've gone on our run. I see us winning this game to go 5 and 1, and be #1 on all power rankings. Here's a summary of my analysis:

We win because of home field and injuries to San Fran....and more. The 49ers look to be minus one of the best LBs in football - Patrick Willis, and without him, Bowman and Aldon Smith, they are not the same team. They've managed to play good D to date, 2nd in the league in total D, including 2nd in the passing game, AND 5th in run D. Those are pretty amazing stats given the loss of Bowman and Smith alone.

And this team has running capabilities (7th in the league), to complement a very mobile and quite accurate QB. Kaepernik has a 97% passer rating, which isn't too shabby.

But we have excellent stats and balance. And we will contain their run game (we're 4th in that category). Knighton and the boys are stuffers. The issue will be containing Kaepernik. That will be our focus, along with minimizing Gore and company. I trust our Dbacks, and I believe the tandem of Miller and Ware will keep Colin in some check.

We do need to continue to prove we can run. I am not enamoured with our rushing game, but we saw some hope this past week. If we get an average amount of rushing yards, we will be in great shape. Again, Willis is unlikely to play. Justin Smith is the guy we need to handle on D.

St. Lou outplayed San Fran for the first half, and sort of lost it once Jenkins blew his assignment on Lloyd with little time on the clock. And the once heralded Rams' D is getting nothing done this season. Without Long, no pass rush. And yet, with less than 1/2 minute to go in the half, they looked the better team.

WE ARE THE BETTER TEAM.

Broncos will win this one, by 7 (or more).

Denver's run D will be challenged. I think the Broncos are up for it. The Niners' run game will set up PAP, and Kaepernick is a scrambling/run threat as well. Denver's secondary is up to the challenge of covering San Francisco's receiving corps, but the mobile QB is the wild card.

San Francisco's D is stingy with the yards, but not getting to the QB as often. Denver will most likely challenge their secondary and see if the Niners try to defend it the way the Jets did. If so, the Broncos could try running against a similar front.

San Francisco beat the Cowboys and Rams on the road, and the Eagles and Chiefs at home. They lost to the Bears at home and to the Cardinals on the road. They have a short week having played on Monday. It is a night game at altitude. The Niners are a tough opponent. It should be a good game.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Keeping a watch on Kaepernick will be a challenge for our defense for sure. In addition to his scrambling ability, he has a very strong arm and a formidable arsenal of receivers/TEs to throw the ball to.

Despite the losses they have suffered on defense, most of their fill-in players have been solid. Their secondary can be spotty at times. Austin Davis had some good opportunities to get the ball to his receivers in the 49ers' last game.

Whatever way the game goes in the end, it will be close throughout.

Comment

Seems like we tend to struggle with mobile qb's, hopefully Del Rio will make adjustments, spy, something to Kap contained.
        sigpic
        2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Comment

Originally posted by TH3JUICEMAN View Post
          Seems like we tend to struggle with mobile qb's, hopefully Del Rio will make adjustments, spy, something to Kap contained.
          Thats a good question: Do we put a full-time spy on Kap because of his running threat?

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
            Thats a good question: Do we put a full-time spy on Kap because of his running threat?
            I think we have the speed with Marshall, Nelson and Miller. Who will all probably play a roll in spying at points. Hopefully if we get them in third and long we don't use Miller to spy and let him get after Kapernick.

Adopted Broncos:
            (2011-2013) Eric Decker
            (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
            (2019-Current) Drew Lock
            Adopted posters:
            Everyone

Comment

I'm more worried about who will cover Vernon Davis. I wouldn't put a lb or safety on him, but you can't put a corner on him when he's inline.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                I'm more worried about who will cover Vernon Davis. I wouldn't put a lb or safety on him, but you can't put a corner on him when he's inline.
                Ward or Marshall or even both would be my guess.

Adopted Broncos:
                (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                Adopted posters:
                Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by TH3JUICEMAN View Post
                  I feel if he he has 50+ yards rushing, the Broncos will lose easily.

Comment

Sucks we lose Trevathan for this one
                    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                      I know, right? The Broncos could really use him for game like this. We need to contain Kapernick in the pocket not outside of it where he can beat us with his legs the dude very athletic.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                        Originally posted by Chillez View Post
                        I know, right? The Broncos could really use him for game like this. We need to contain Kapernick in the pocket not outside of it where he can beat us with his legs the dude very athletic.
                        I think it sucks as well, but this may be the time for our other guys to make a statement. In the long run, we may gain by all of this. Having a healthy Trev back at some point, and with more experience gained by others, we might just be "scary good" come the playoffs!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          I think it sucks as well, but this may be the time for our other guys to make a statement. In the long run, we may gain by all of this. Having a healthy Trev back at some point, and with more experience gained by others, we might just be "scary good" come the playoffs!
                          Well said. The other things guys have to step up and fill that void for Danny, I believe as unit they will.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                            I feel if he he has 50+ yards rushing, the Broncos will lose easily.
                            A QB can't win a game with his legs, ask Michael Vick. Kap has to win this game with his arm and our corners are by far better then their receivers. Not to mention that Kap is still only reading his first read then trying to take off. He has regressed in many areas the last few years throwing the ball.

Plus no matter who is playing at right tackle for the Niners is in for a world of hurt. Anthony Davis has only played in 1 game due to multiple lower body injuries and his backup is JONATHAN MARTIN!! Get the clown suit ready!!
                            Last edited by crash123go; 10-15-2014, 01:45 PM.
                            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              We are now entering another difficult part of the schedule, and it's time to show the league that we are a legit contender once again. This Sunday is a game I am anxiously looking forward to. The 49ers have been one of the elite teams in this league since we've gone on our run. I see us winning this game to go 5 and 1, and be #1 on all power rankings. Here's a summary of my analysis:

We win because of home field and injuries to San Fran....and more. The 49ers look to be minus one of the best LBs in football - Patrick Willis, and without him, Bowman and Aldon Smith, they are not the same team. They've managed to play good D to date, 2nd in the league in total D, including 2nd in the passing game, AND 5th in run D. Those are pretty amazing stats given the loss of Bowman and Smith alone.

And this team has running capabilities (7th in the league), to complement a very mobile and quite accurate QB. Kaepernik has a 97% passer rating, which isn't too shabby.

But we have excellent stats and balance. And we will contain their run game (we're 4th in that category). Knighton and the boys are stuffers. The issue will be containing Kaepernik. That will be our focus, along with minimizing Gore and company. I trust our Dbacks, and I believe the tandem of Miller and Ware will keep Colin in some check.

We do need to continue to prove we can run. I am not enamoured with our rushing game, but we saw some hope this past week. If we get an average amount of rushing yards, we will be in great shape. Again, Willis is unlikely to play. Justin Smith is the guy we need to handle on D.

St. Lou outplayed San Fran for the first half, and sort of lost it once Jenkins blew his assignment on Lloyd with little time on the clock. And the once heralded Rams' D is getting nothing done this season. Without Long, no pass rush. And yet, with less than 1/2 minute to go in the half, they looked the better team.

WE ARE THE BETTER TEAM.

Broncos will win this one, by 7 (or more).
                              Nice as that is the betting line in Vegas, but you forgot that the 49ers have the #2 ranked defense in the country, and they have a tendency to go after the QB. After what I saw in the Jets game, the broncos could have their hands full. Too many penalties (holding and pass interference), and no running game...
                              American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Working...
                              X