No announcement yet.

Congrats to Peyton!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makes sense. Elway has put a more talented unit around him then he ever had in Indy. Indy was a poor drafting team that hit a handful of draft picks and Manning dragged a overall average-below average team to the playoffs every year. Which makes sense with their performance without Manning.
    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

• Can you imagine what Elway and Manning could have done together had they gotten together a decade ago?
      ”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by crash123go View Post
        Makes sense. Elway has put a more talented unit around him then he ever had in Indy. Indy was a poor drafting team that hit a handful of draft picks and Manning dragged a overall average-below average team to the playoffs every year. Which makes sense with their performance without Manning.
        It was a combination of Polian's weird insistence on "diamond-in-the-rough" hopeful UDFA acquisitions and Dungy's cover-2 vanilla defenses not jiving, and Polian's "small-ball" defensive prototypes.

These ultra-fast, small in stature defenders, operating under the umbrella style cover-2, only functioned well with a sizable lead. Multiple score leads only attributable to the likes of Manning. Ultimately, this philosophy couldn't hold up in the postseason, a large reason why Manning is asked to wear the scarlet letter of playoff choker (a title which I have issue with).

Manning is a smarter QB now, far more attuned. But indeed he was surrounded by ineptitude in Indy for many of his years. That being said, his 2006 Colts squad was well built, balanced and worthy of being called champions. After 2006, the drafting got substantially poor, with numerous misses in the first round year after year. Anthony Gonzalez, Donald Brown and Jerry hughes, all HUGE 1st round misses.

Elway is far more suited for modern day NFL drafting than Polian had become. Bill's judgement became more and more irrational, egocentric and daring.

I have little doubt Manning will win a SB for Denver.
        sigpic
        Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

• That's really cool! Peyton has more talent to work with in Denver than he had in Indianapolis. In Indianapolis he could make a mediocre wide receiver corps(from 2007 on) looks like they were all pros. Anthony Gonzales,Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie are three good examples along with an over the hill Marvin Harrison.

Comment

• Originally posted by ruksak View Post
            It was a combination of Polian's weird insistence on "diamond-in-the-rough" hopeful UDFA acquisitions and Dungy's cover-2 vanilla defenses not jiving, and Polian's "small-ball" defensive prototypes.

These ultra-fast, small in stature defenders, operating under the umbrella style cover-2, only functioned well with a sizable lead. Multiple score leads only attributable to the likes of Manning. Ultimately, this philosophy couldn't hold up in the postseason, a large reason why Manning is asked to wear the scarlet letter of playoff choker (a title which I have issue with).

Manning is a smarter QB now, far more attuned. But indeed he was surrounded by ineptitude in Indy for many of his years. That being said, his 2006 Colts squad was well built, balanced and worthy of being called champions. After 2006, the drafting got substantially poor, with numerous misses in the first round year after year. Anthony Gonzalez, Donald Brown and Jerry hughes, all HUGE 1st round misses.

Elway is far more suited for modern day NFL drafting than Polian had become. Bill's judgement became more and more irrational, egocentric and daring.

Jerry Hughes isn't a bust. Caldwell and Pagano couldn't develop the talent. I believe he is working on his 3rd 10 plus sack season.
            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

• Manning has way more talent around him now than he ever had with the Colts especially on offense so many weapons along with good offensive line. I do think Peyton was better QB in his Colt days younger much more athletic, better deep ball, stronger arm, his peak season was 2004. The difference now is Peyton is smarter now with age comes great wisdom and doesn't have to do as much as before.
              sigpic

Comment

• He is protected better by his line than he was in Indy. I also believe he has become an even greater student of the game since his injury, as he works to gain any advantage he can with his knowledge of the team he is playing. I believe Elway has done a masterful job bringing in the people we need to max out Peyton's abilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                  Jerry Hughes isn't a bust. Caldwell and Pagano couldn't develop the talent. I believe he is working on his 3rd 10 plus sack season.
                  He didn't fit our 4-3. That's why I called it a bad pick. He wasn't the right man for the job, no slight to him. As soon as we switched to a 3-4 (2012), he started having a presense, then we severed ties with him.
                  sigpic
                  Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

• Originally posted by ruksak View Post

All of this is so true. Can't argue with any of it. One thing you didn't mention is Dungy's maddening penchant for only going after players who were "good people", which is completely ridiculous. Dungy is a very religious man and the Colts pretty much kept clear of any players who didn't fit the "good person" criteria. I'm not saying you have to go out and draft every thug available, but you miss on a lot of talent when you dismiss anyone who isn't a boy scout. Just my opinion.

Peyton would have at least 3 rings by now if he hadn't been held back by poor coaches and poor draft selections. (Yes, I believe Tony Dungy to be a poor coach. Throw Caldwell in there, too.)

Comment

Working...
                    X