Was the Dark Ages Worth It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the Dark Ages Worth It?

We are so blessed to have Elway in the GM role as he has done a remarkable job so quickly from fielding a great championship roster 3 out of his 4 years here (first year was supposed to be a rebuilding job, not a playoff win type of roster....even tho he added so many awesome additions his first year) to fielding an awesome coaching staff from top to bottom as well as his front office guys.

The question is, was the dark ages worth it to be where we are now? 2008 started incredible, starting 4-0 with so many young, blue chip offensive players, but the choke job we did at the 2nd half of 2008 led to the destruction and embarrassment of this proud franchise. Then McD trading Cutler, drafting the worst draft class known to man(2009) and then to us beating the Pats and starting 6-0 before another choke job of the 2009 season. Then we trade Scheffler, HIllis and BMarsh and getting Brady Quinn and Tebow. Then having to bear through the 2010 season and then Spygate 2.0, I never believed we would get out of that spot.

But going thru those dark, grim 3 seasons we saw Tebow take over and rejuvenate a team and win the playoff game to us getting Elway back and signing Manning and seeing young players like Von DT Julius and all the others.

Its easy to say now that it was worth sitting thru those 3 seasons now, but remember the embarrassment we had to endue. Anyone remember the Raiders shutting us out at home like 52-0? Without knowing if we win a super bowl anytime soon, would you sit through those 3 years again to witness greatness like we are now without knowing if it will produce a super bowl?

I say hell yea!

I'm just not sure what you mean by "worth it"?

It's not as if you had a choice, as a fan. Be thankful, forever thankful, that your franchise isn't one of the incompetent, downtrodden catastrophes such as the Jaguars, Browns, Raiders, Lions etc.
    sigpic
    Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

I've said this for years, if I ever meet Josh mcdaniels I will shake his hand and thank him because he drafted the greatest WR Denver probably will ever have and he put us in the position to get probably the best defensive player that will ever play for us. 100% worth it.
      A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
        I've said this for years, if I ever meet Josh mcdaniels I will shake his hand and thank him because he drafted the greatest WR Denver probably will ever have and he put us in the position to get probably the best defensive player that will ever play for us. 100% worth it.
        If you're referring to DT, you are way off base. Dude is good, but he's not even close to being THAT good. His physical gifts make him a rare creature, but he has a great deal to learn about running routes and catching the ball away from his body with command.

I've seen some great improvement, even through the course of 2014. He made a very heady, veteran move to catch a back-shoulder last Thursday night, something that JT failed miserably to do just a handful of plays prior. He showed perfect technique on that play, something I haven't been able to say about his routes very often.
        Last edited by ruksak; 10-26-2014, 04:21 AM.
        sigpic
        Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

Originally posted by ruksak View Post
          If you're referring to DT, you are way off base. Dude is good, but he's not even close to being THAT good. His physical gifts make him a rare creature, but he has a great deal to learn about running routes and catching the ball away from his body with command.

I've seen some great improvement, even through the course of 2014. He made a very heady, veteran move to catch a back-shoulder last Thursday night, something that JT failed miserably to do just a handful of plays prior. He showed perfect technique on that play, something I haven't been able to say about his routes very often.
          WR the BRONCOS will ever have. Not overall. I might agree with him. It'll just take a few more years to see. We did draft branon Marshall too and he is pretty dominant.
          sigpic

Comment

Id rather have a few years of bleh followed by a few years of YEAh, as opposed to a stretch of ehh
            sigpicPlease Help A die Hard Broncos Fan Out, And Share Or Pledge My Kickstarter Party Game "Help Wanted" http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...help-wanted-0/

Comment

NO!!!

You can make change without having to suffer through 2 seasons of having an incompetent team & fan base destroying, wannabe egocentric joke of a man with a Napoleon complex as your HC.

I give that Devil zero credit for anything except for turning us into the biggest joke the NFL has ever seen in such a short period of time starting with his 1st day on the job.

To HELL with that Devil and I hope I never see him in person cause I still want to break his face.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                WR the BRONCOS will ever have. Not overall. I might agree with him. It'll just take a few more years to see. We did draft branon Marshall too and he is pretty dominant.
                Demaryius Thomas is currently number ten on the all-time Bronco career WR list. He will be higher when the season ends, and could end up at the top if he remains in Denver for his entire pro career.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Dark Ages? Try being a Raiders/Jacksonville/Cleveland fan, then you'll know dark ages.

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
                    Dark Ages? Try being a Raiders/Jacksonville/Cleveland fan, then you'll know dark ages.
                    Or, the first thirteen years of the Bronco franchise.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I am going to reply with, "it was painful, but it did lead us to the right people, who turned this thing completely around". Given your name, I did not want to emphasize that losing Cutler was a good thing, otherwise we don't end up with Manning. But yes, what happened after McDaniels was very good for our organization. Elway was key, followed by Manning.

But it's hard to say if everything was good or bad on its own. McDaniels made a number of horrible mistakes. And we don't have a lot to show for it, other than DT, Decker (who was a decent find, though gone now), Bruton and not much more.

Truthfully, since the SB victories, we have not been a good team.....with only one playoff victory until The OT win over Pittsburgh.

But fortunately for us, Elway found a way to land the big fish - Manning, while making amazing free agent maneuvers to fortify the ship. He, with the support of Bowlen, made it clear that no stone would be left unturned, in the hunt for a title.

One wonders if we would have made a move sooner, with the likes of Cutler and Marshall still here. All I know is, at the time, those two gents were not on the right path. They needed to mature, somewhere. But I'll take an old vet Manning over a prime of life Cutler any day, and Marshall was a wee bit weird when he was here. It's interesting, because The Bears have these guys, and even though things seem good environmentally, they are still not over the hump it appears, pending a surge that needs to start very soon!

In the end, I do believe the bad stuff helped us get to the good stuff. It's not how I'd plan it, but it is working beautifully as we speak.
                      Last edited by CanDB; 10-26-2014, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Considering where we're at now, it was well worth it! But I hated the embarrassment that came with it. And I really felt terrible for Mr. B. Such a classy Owner didn't deserve for his Franchise to be in the midst of Spygate and other unnecessary media attention.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                          I don't like such a statement. The unknown ahead, DT isn't exactly the quality of a Calvin Johnson. Hard to tell what's down the road, but I'm not comfortable going all bananas over a hot/cold guy like DT, not yet.

His quick ascension up the Broncos all-time ladder has been predicted upon three factors;
                          1) The Passing game becoming far more prevalent than ever.
                          2) A short list of HoF caliber Broncos receivers through history.
                          3) #18 and his penchant for sending WR's to the Pro Bowl.

All time Broncos WR's list reads very innocuously, save for a few relatively recent names. Ed, Brandon and Rod stand out, beyond them, the list becomes quite "meh".
                          sigpic
                          Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

DT is already talked about as one of the best #1, big men route runners and even though he has had some drops he has shown elite ability to catch the ball. DT already basically has half of Rod Smiths all time receiving record and that's with his first 2 years basically wiped away with injuries. DT will take all of Smiths record before his time is done.

On talent, ability and DT's skills he has right now I HIGHLY doubt anyone would take Rod Smith over him. That's no offense to RS, he is a all time great and deserves to be in the HOF but DT is on a different level.
                            Last edited by crash123go; 10-26-2014, 08:49 AM.
                            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

I don't like such a statement. The unknown ahead, DT isn't exactly the quality of a Calvin Johnson. Hard to tell what's down the road, but I'm not comfortable going all bananas over a hot/cold guy like DT, not yet.

His quick ascension up the Broncos all-time ladder has been predicted upon three factors;
                              1) The Passing game becoming far more prevalent than ever.
                              2) A short list of HoF caliber Broncos receivers through history.
                              3) #18 and his penchant for sending WR's to the Pro Bowl.

All time Broncos WR's list reads very innocuously, save for a few relatively recent names. Ed, Brandon and Rod stand out, beyond them, the list becomes quite "meh".

Your usually on point but your way off here! DT is the most talented receiver Manning's ever had. He had a bad couple of first games but other than that you prove hot n cold? Proof is in the pudding, Go look at the numbers. Look at the numbers. Weren't you the one telling me Trent Richardson was this beast and Cleveland made this big mistake? Lol.... You're wrong again on DT..

Comment

Working...
                              X