Post game rants -- Denver and New England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    To be fair the 2011 squad just didn't have the talent to match up against the Patriots. In 2012 and 2013 a play here or there in the regular season games and the outcome is different. This was the first game you truly felt we were totally outcoached and ill-prepared, so I'm willing to be patient and see what happens if/when we run into the Patriots again.

And what are we trying to say here anyway? Bill Belichick is a better coach than John Fox? I don't think many people will disagree with you there, friend. But unless he has a resignation letter written on a cocktail napkin hiding in his pocket, we're just going to have to deal with that for the time being. Further, everyone in the NFL - be it player or coach - has that Kryptonite that busts them down a peg or two. Manning & Fox it's Brady & Belichick. Brady & Belichick it's Eli & Coughlin. Brees & Payton it's playing outside the Superdome. Roethlisberger & Tomlin it's been Flacco & Harbaugh (last night's game being the exception). For a while with us it was Rivers & Turner. Some teams match up better against others regardless of talent.
    Good post, although I don't think BAL has been a kryptonite for PIT in the Tomlin era. You are right though IMO in the sense that some teams/players seem to have the edge on others for reasons that seem to be related to that specific match up in particular.

The Rams and the Saints are a great example, where the Rams seem to have a strong edge on the Saints in the Brees-Payton era. In 2013, the Rams beat were 7-9(I think) with the Saints being 11-5, and they won 27-16, and were once up 27-3. That could in part be attributed to the Saints road struggles with the game being in STL, but it wasn't the only time in the Brees-Payton era where the Rams have played the Saints seemingly better than the records of the teams would indicate. In 2011, the Rams once lead NO 24-0, and ended up winning 31-21, when they were 2-14 and the Saints were 13-3. In 2009, I believe the score was 28-23 NO, but the Rams were 1-15 and NO was 13-3 and eventually won the SB, so one likely wouldn't expect that game to even be close. Then there was 2007, where the Rams were 3-13, but came into NO and won 37-29, once being up 34-7. The 2010 game between the 2 teams was the only one where the score seemed consistent with how a game would normally go with 2 teams of their records during the Brees era IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
      Good post, although I don't think BAL has been a kryptonite for PIT in the Tomlin era. You are right though IMO in the sense that some teams/players seem to have the edge on others for reasons that seem to be related to that specific match up in particular.

The Rams and the Saints are a great example, where the Rams seem to have a strong edge on the Saints in the Brees-Payton era. In 2013, the Rams beat were 7-9(I think) with the Saints being 11-5, and they won 27-16, and were once up 27-3. That could in part be attributed to the Saints road struggles with the game being in STL, but it wasn't the only time in the Brees-Payton era where the Rams have played the Saints seemingly better than the records of the teams would indicate. In 2011, the Rams once lead NO 24-0, and ended up winning 31-21, when they were 2-14 and the Saints were 13-3. In 2009, I believe the score was 28-23 NO, but the Rams were 1-15 and NO was 13-3 and eventually won the SB, so one likely wouldn't expect that game to even be close. Then there was 2007, where the Rams were 3-13, but came into NO and won 37-29, once being up 34-7. The 2010 game between the 2 teams was the only one where the score seemed consistent with how a game would normally go with 2 teams of their records during the Brees era IMO.
      For Brady & Belichick it seems that the Ravens might be theirs.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
        Well then assuming you're correct then Elway will have some explaining to do when he has put together a team which has the talent if coached right should beat any NFL team out there. At some point you need to look at your coaches.
        Originally posted by TeddyBallgame View Post
        7-2_is_better_than_6-2,_especially_when_you_beat that team in a blowout. It is what it is.

Many_didn't_believe_that_9-0_KC_team,_and_you_proved_them_right._Same_here;_you_guys_were_saying we weren't that good because this is the best team we'll face this season,etc.,etc. This time it didn't get your way. You can't keep telling the same excuse.

Listen, I'm not saying we have a better team, because clearly you have more talent in almost every position, but your team @NE is just a terrible matchup for you.
        7-2 is not better than 6-2 when one team had a bye without a choice. lol

Patriots did win on Sunday, and impressively so; but you'll lose to Denver in the playoffs (if you get that far) again, and you obviously wouldn't win in Denver. Belichick traveling to wherever Peyton hosts is bad for you in the playoffs. 0-2 against him when he gets to host.

New England will lost to both Indianapolis and Green Bay, because they just can't beat quality teams on the road, or consistently at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post

Patriots did win on Sunday, and impressively so; but you'll lose to Denver in the playoffs (if you get that far) again, and you obviously wouldn't win in Denver. Belichick traveling to wherever Peyton hosts is bad for you in the playoffs. 0-2 against him when he gets to host.

New England will lost to both Indianapolis and Green Bay, because they just can't beat quality teams on the road, or consistently at all.
          So much talk for a team that lost by 22 points to us. Does Mile High represents a 22-point swing on your favor? For the millionth time, how are you going to cover Gronk??

But thanks for the crystal ball anyway; now I don't have to worry about those road games because unlike DEN, who kills every good team on the road, NE can't possibly beat IND or GB. Plus, DEN will win out, so they get HFA!

At the end, win or lose to NE, DEN is the better team :thumb:

Comment

• Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post

As long as Gronk, Revis, and Browner are healthy, Denver has no chance against NE in the playoffs regardless of where the game is being played.

They'll get pushed around again.

If one of those gets injured, Denver may have a chance.

Comment

• 4 have been in NE with Fox, 1 at home with Tebow, we've had 1 home game vs them with Fox/Manning, and won, who knew?

NE is like 42-3 in their last 45 home games so don't tell me HFA doesn't make a difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                4 have been in NE with Fox, 1 at home with Tebow, we've had 1 home game vs them with Fox/Manning, and won, who knew?

NE is like 42-3 in their last 45 home games so don't tell me HFA doesn't make a difference.
                I agree. If DEN and NE faced each other for the next 10 weeks alternating sites.... each team would probably be 4-1 at home and 1-4 on the road.
                res ipsa loquitur

Comment

• This is a good read. Manning and Brady are both active legends, but these stats make a pretty good case for Brady>Manning.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...manning/31873/

Comment

• Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                    For Brady & Belichick it seems that the Ravens might be theirs.
                    Possibly, in the playoffs at least. They have won twice in NE in the Harbaugh era in the playoffs.

I think lately though, it seems to be the Jets. Other than the 'butt fumble' game, the Pats haven't beaten the Jets by more than 3 points in their last 5 meetings, and that's with the Jets teams having significantly worse records. With how good NE plays in Foxboro, the Jets haven't lost there by more than 3 in the last 3 games.

It's strange how most teams do worse when playing NE in Foxboro, but the Jets may play them better there.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdice View Post
                      This is a good read. Manning and Brady are both active legends, but these stats make a pretty good case for Brady>Manning.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...manning/31873/
                      No it's not go back on Patsfans.

Comment

Working...
                      X