The Broncos and self-destructing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Broncos and self-destructing

For those who don't know me, I'm a Jets fan who casually lurks other teams boards. Occasionally I'll give my thoughts on big games Denver has played in and give you guys my thoughts.

There is one thing I notice about this Denver team that was not the case with Peyton's Indy teams. When the Denver Broncos start self-destructing, the bleeding never stops. One case it did stop was the 2012 game @ SD which I'm sure you all remember. But otherwise, they fall behind and never give themselves a chance to come back. This was the case Sunday. Obviously, the Super Bowl was a given. 22-0 is a hard deficit to come back from, but with a half of football and a potent offense it isn't out of the question, especially in todays NFL.

Coming out in the second half and letting Harvin run it back is a prime example. Same with the interception off Welker's chest. Peyton's old Indy teams (sorry guys, just a comparison that came off the top of my head) almost certainly came back and made a hell of a game. The 2009 and 2010 matchups at New England are prime examples. Down 20+ in both match ups and it came down to the last second. The 2006 AFC Championship against New England, biggest comeback in AFC Championship history. Peyton had 16-17 4th quarter comebacks alone in 2008 and 2009.

Not every game will go according to plan. Your team will fall behind again throughout the season when the gameplan is ineffective. That will happen. However, against a good team in an important game, the Broncos can't keep making dumb mistakes; changing a 21 point deficit to a 35 point deficit in a matter of minutes. This team is entirely too talented. Someone needs to keep the composure on the sidelines in times of crisis or you guys will lose games by way more than you should.

I said about same thing after the 1st INT we just continued the mistakes it snow balled we couldn't get out of own way in all 3 phases...

Comment

I personally believe part of the problem is the inexperience of our offensive coordinator. He does not have the experience to handle these situations and when we get behind he panics. I also do not like the fact that they tend to throttle Manning back on occasions and will not let him do his job.

It also doesn't help that our running game stinks to high heaven. Our o-line is pathetic right now and pretty much have been all year long. We have had two games where we could run the ball and one was against the 49ers and they were just a shell of their normal defense and the other was SD and they played us like the Jets did where they dared us to beat them running the ball.

There is also a BIG problem with our defensive side of the ball where we are afraid of giving up the big play so they play zone too much and the players we have are better suited for man coverage. We also do not put our defensive players in a place to make plays. When you lineup Von Miller outside to cover Gronkowski or have Pot Roast drop back into coverage it is not using the players properly.

We have the players to be a dominate team and yet our coaches continually put us in a place where we fail. It is driving me crazy.
      sigpic
      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Welcome to the Boards Jetfan. And thanks for your input. I gotta admit that I feel a little defensive having another fan from another team come here to point out our flaws. Just feeling a little protective. While some of what you say may be correct, I am reacting to some of it.

What I react to are over generalizations that you and many of our own fans make. For instance, I react to statements like "the bleeding never stops," and when you fall behind we "never give themselves a chance to come back." I react to statements using words like always, never, can't won't, we completely suck, etc.

What you are referring to are two games. Yes, two huge games. But, on the other hand, there are other games that disprove your statement of never. One happened this year.

In the Seattle game, while we didn't win because of the over time rules, Peyton and our offense had one of the most clutch, hall of fame drives I've ever witnessed. Down 20-12, 52 seconds left, no time outs, in the most hostile environment to play in, and we drove down the field, scored a TD and a remarkable 2-pt conversion to DT with Sherman draped all over him.

So, I get frustrated that when we lose a game, what happens is that we might tend to not be able to see positive things that our team does. Instead we want to cut Peyton, feel like nothing is working, feel like we NEVER come back, NEVER stop the bleeding and apply that to all games. Which isn't true. I just wanted to apply a little perspective here. That's all.
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I don't think its fair to say the team self destructs when things go wrong. We've had a lot of comebacks during times when we're down. Last year against Tennessee one example. That said, Denver definitely has their obligatory 2-3 games per year where they look like chickens with their head cut off. Usually it involves 2-3 ints, a special teams goof, and other issues.

We'll bounce back.

Comment

Oh look, a JeST fan!

Yeah keep saying that DEN self-destructs a lot, like there's no other team in the field. Give credit where credit is due.

NE and SEA put up great game plans to stop DEN, and they came out with the win. It's not all on DEN's side; those teams made plays to force errors.
            Last edited by TeddyBallgame; 11-05-2014, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeddyBallgame View Post
              Oh_look,_a_JeST_fan!

Yeah_keep_saying_that_DEN_self-destructs_a_lot,_like_there's_no_other_team_in_the_field._Give_credit_where_credit_is_due.
              NE_and_SEA_put_up_great_game_plans_to_stop_DEN,_and_they_came_out_with_the_win._It's_not_all_on_DEN's_side;_those_teams_made_plays_to_force_errors.
              I think there's something weird going funky with your posts because when I copy it, it had all these color, fffff, size things going on which makes your posts sentences not wrap around correctly and they extend off the page. Do you know why?

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                I think there's something weird going funky with your posts because when I copy it, it had all these color, fffff, size things going on which makes your posts sentences not wrap around correctly and they extend off the page. Do you know why?
                Space key is broken. I have to use Alt+255. I'm going to start copy-pastying the space (or I could use a portable keyboard.......)

Comment

I believe, to a certain extent, the OP is correct. We seem to be our own worst enemies in the losses we experience. I'll give the Pats credit for playing a solid game, but I contend we hurt ourselves more than anything. Until all three phases play up to their potential, we will struggle against good teams on the road. I haven't given up hope. To peak in January/February would be ideal.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                    I fixed it, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by TeddyBallgame View Post
                      Space key is broken. I have to use Alt+255. I'm going to start copy-pastying the space (or I could use a portable keyboard.......)
                      Gotcha!
                      10 char

Comment

6-2 with only one bad loss is self destructing? No, but things do happen that swing momentum in games, such as turnovers and freebies. The ability to keep momentum on your side is simple-don't make penalties that put you in long yardage situations and don't turn the ball over. That is easier said than done as the other team is getting paid too. Now the Jets are a team that does self destruct on a regular basis and they don't recover.

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                          I personally believe part of the problem is the inexperience of our offensive coordinator. He does not have the experience to handle these situations and when we get behind he panics. I also do not like the fact that they tend to throttle Manning back on occasions and will not let him do his job.

It also doesn't help that our running game stinks to high heaven. Our o-line is pathetic right now and pretty much have been all year long. We have had two games where we could run the ball and one was against the 49ers and they were just a shell of their normal defense and the other was SD and they played us like the Jets did where they dared us to beat them running the ball.

There is also a BIG problem with our defensive side of the ball where we are afraid of giving up the big play so they play zone too much and the players we have are better suited for man coverage. We also do not put our defensive players in a place to make plays. When you lineup Von Miller outside to cover Gronkowski or have Pot Roast drop back into coverage it is not using the players properly.

We have the players to be a dominate team and yet our coaches continually put us in a place where we fail. It is driving me crazy.
                          Except New England was eating our man coverage. San Diego was eating our man coverage.

In fact, most of the times our pass defense has been porous has been against good QB's when we're running man coverage. It's too easy for them to audible into routes that exploit a match up, and then hurry up to stay with that match up for an entire drive. Heck, the Patriots would shuffle guys around until they got a match up and then terrorize Denver with it.

Every time someone spouts this nonsense it baffles me. Denver has gotten TORCHED in man coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                            Except New England was eating our man coverage. San Diego was eating our man coverage.

In fact, most of the times our pass defense has been porous has been against good QB's when we're running man coverage. It's too easy for them to audible into routes that exploit a match up, and then hurry up to stay with that match up for an entire drive. Heck, the Patriots would shuffle guys around until they got a match up and then terrorize Denver with it.

Every time someone spouts this nonsense it baffles me. Denver has gotten TORCHED in man coverage.
                            They were talking about that on sports radio in Boston this week with Greg Bedard from SI who did a film breakdown of the Broncos... seem pretty confident that even if we meet in Denver for the AFCCG again this year, that we will be able to put up points. They had two main points:

1. Pats were able to dictate match-ups based on formations and schemes. Noticed that at one point Pats got Edelman vs Talib, Gronk vs. Ward, and LaFell vs Harris and they just went hurry up and exploited it. He noted Ward obviously could not cover Gronk and Talib had a lot of trouble with Edelman's quickness.

2. Probably the biggest reason for confidence was Brady vs. Jack Del Rio defense. In his career, Brady is 8-1 has 22 TDs to 1 INT (happened this Sunday) and completes 70%+ of his passes. The reason being according to Bedard is because JDR never really gives any new looks or changes his scheme. He said JDR is notorious (think Lovie Smith Tampa 2) with saying this is what we run and only what we run. Brady just eats it up because he knows what he is getting.

Did you see any kind of halftime adjustments from the Broncos D?

Comment

Originally posted by bgpatsfan View Post
                              2. Probably the biggest reason for confidence was Brady vs. Jack Del Rio defense. In his career, Brady is 8-1 has 22 TDs to 1 INT (happened this Sunday) and completes 70%+ of his passes. The reason being according to Bedard is because JDR never really gives any new looks or changes his scheme. He said JDR is notorious (think Lovie Smith Tampa 2) with saying this is what we run and only what we run. Brady just eats it up because he knows what he is getting.

Did you see any kind of halftime adjustments from the Broncos D?
                              Ironic that non-Broncos fans see our team better than some of the diehards. JDR "wishes" his defense was like the Seattle 2013 Cover 3 defense where he doesn't need to vary it at all, except our personnel is significantly different. JDR does offer different schemes, but once he settles into a scheme for a particular week, he will not change it for the rest of the week.

I saw ONE halftime adjustment from the D (before I shut the TV off). We weren't pressuring Brady in the 2nd quarter because JDR stubbornly would not deviate from our 3-4 man fronts. The guy really thinks we're 2013 Seattle or something (we're not) and won't accept reality. In the second half we occasionally threw in an slot corner or other blitz...and it worked! Brady got a little less settled and able to move in the pocket. But the game was over by then.

Combine this with bizarre ideas like dropping Terrance Knighton into coverage, putting Von on Gronk, rushing 3 on critical long downs, and we're getting fed up.

How embarrassing it is for us for someone on the national scene to basically say that we can't beat the Pats because our D coordinator is a fool.

Could you imagine if Belichick didn't vary his looks against Peyton? Course not. The mastermind came out with multiple hybrid looks and confused the hell out of Peyton.

Comment

Working...
                              X