The Broncos and self-destructing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
    Every time someone spouts this nonsense it baffles me. Denver has gotten TORCHED in man coverage.
    ???? Talib and Harris are posting excellent coverage grades because they're not getting beat (they're consistently winning). Only time we EVER get torched in press coverage is when Ward accidentally winds up isolating someone (a schematic issue) or when Roby gets picked on.

We were getting significantly more torched early in the year when we were in zone. When we went into press, we got a LOT better. Than we changed back this game and Brady picked us apart.
    Last edited by UnitedInOrange; 11-05-2014, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnitedInOrange View Post

Combine this with bizarre ideas like dropping Terrance Knighton into coverage, putting Von on Gronk, rushing 3 on critical long downs, and we're getting fed up.

How embarrassing it is for us for someone on the national scene to basically say that we can't beat the Pats because our D coordinator is a fool.

Could you imagine if Belichick didn't vary his looks against Peyton? Course not. The mastermind came out with multiple hybrid looks and confused the hell out of Peyton.
      1. As much as it hurts Bronco fans.. that was one of my favorite moments of the game. Gronk made Von look like a high school JV/practice squad player in coverage. Von was playing inside leverage and still somehow got beat to the inside pretty cleanly on Gronk's release.

2. Definitely tightened up in the second half, but at that point it was too late. The only player on Denver's D who I can say had a good game was Malik Jackson. I came away very impressed with him. He got a lot of pressure and hurries on Brady, could have had a couple sacks, but surprisingly Brady has been a master of extending plays this year by rolling out and buying time with his legs.

Wolfe was better than expected but seemed like he really only set the edge.

3. Peyton definitely had no idea what was going on for the entire first half. For the most part, we showed a cover 1 with man press across the board and both line backers in the A-gap. Sent pressure from everywhere: slot corner, SS, LBs, stunts, etc. Only really rushed 3 or 4 though, but the confusion allowed us to get pressure.

I think Peyton burned 2 timeouts early in the game because he was confused by the defense... both times the d shifted late in the play clock and Manning took like timeouts.

I give A LOT of credit to Dont'a Hightower, he has really stepped up in Mayo's absence and did a great job making adjustments on the field

Comment

Originally posted by bgpatsfan View Post
        The only player on Denver's D who I can say had a good game was Malik Jackson. I came away very impressed with him.
        Another point of irony for me. Our main weakness on defense (and Brady's vulnerability) is inside pressure...yet we actually have one of the league's better inside rushers in Malik Jackson. But we don't use him nearly as much as we need to.

What's the point of having Wolfe sit there and set the edge or double-gap WHEN YOUR OPPONENT IS DESTROYING YOU WITH PASSES AND NOT RUNS.

LOL, I think you understand our defensive liabilities better than our D coordinator does.

Comment

Great reading on all these post. To pretty much sum it up though it seems like we will continue to be this great regular season team that gets crushed in the playoffs and big games. And this is all because our coaches suck...

Solo glad Elway gave Fox that extension....

Comment

Originally posted by SammyWinder View Post
            Great reading on all these post. To pretty much sum it up though it seems like we will continue to be this great regular season team that gets crushed in the playoffs and big games. And this is all because our coaches suck...

Solo glad Elway gave Fox that extension....
            Exaggerate much? They weren't "crushed" by Baltimore in the playoffs, and were 2-1 in the postseason last year.

Comment

Comment

I think some of the OP is a little overstated but valid to a lesser extent than written. My only concern with the Broncos is when things go wrong, or Peyton is having a bad day, the rest of the team fails to step into the vacuum and take over. Instead, it appears everyone (including the coaches) starts staring at Manning with the "what are you going to do to save the game" face. When he doesn't lead the comeback, the team (including the coaches) flounders and continues making mistakes. As good as Peyton is, he can't always create magic.

What I would love to see: someone else take over the game. Maybe the defense puts all the responsibility on their own shoulders (like Seattle, Arizona, Pittsburgh or Baltimore in years past) and says we're going to win this game ourselves. Or the offensive line realize that Manning is struggling, so they make it a point to either improve their protection or smash people in the run game. Same thing with the RBs, someone just take over every time they touch the ball. Maybe it's an ugly win but it's a win. Someone besides Peyton Manning needs to lead during the game instead of waiting for Peyton to do something.

Seriously, since Manning came to Denver, have they won a single game when Peyton had a crap day throwing? I don't remember one.

Comment

Originally posted by UnitedInOrange View Post
                  ???? Talib and Harris are posting excellent coverage grades because they're not getting beat (they're consistently winning). Only time we EVER get torched in press coverage is when Ward accidentally winds up isolating someone (a schematic issue) or when Roby gets picked on.

We were getting significantly more torched early in the year when we were in zone. When we went into press, we got a LOT better. Than we changed back this game and Brady picked us apart.
                  Ding ding ding! Man I can't believe how people just go Google an issue and bam, they know it all. We get beat in man because of some ridiculous match up that should never happen. Lbs one on one with wrs, TK dropping into coverage (or Von or ware), playing off by ten yards. Guys are going to get beat no matter what on occasion. Sometimes they slip, bite on the wrong route, perfect throw etc.

To argue that were better suited to mainly play zone is just silly. We should mix it in to remain unpredictable and for exotic packages, but our cover scheme should definitely be mainly man. When you look at out personnel it is just obvious.
                  Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                    Welcome to the Boards Jetfan. And thanks for your input. I gotta admit that I feel a little defensive having another fan from another team come here to point out our flaws.
                    Especially a Jets fan that has a team that is in total chaos and turmoil.
                    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                      Especially a Jets fan that has a team that is in total chaos and turmoil.
                      Well, I was trying to be nice!
                      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Working...
                      X