Post game rants --- Broncos and Rams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
    I'm not actually a Broncos fan, but I figured I'd give some inspiration. Despite how many teams have ups and downs, it seems many here are willing to crown teams when they get on hot streaks, and say they have little shot after a bad game or two.

So, I figure I'll offer some inspiration, by posting some losses recent Super Bowl champs have taken

2013 Seahawks-lost 17-10 at home to Arizona, despite getting 4 INTs. AZ was 10-6 so they weren't a terrible team, but SEA played pretty bad
    2012 Ravens-lost 43-13 to the Texans(good team, but that was a very bad loss),and 24-23 to the 4-12 Eagles.
    2011 Giants-swept by the 5-11 Redskins giving them almost half of their wins.
    2010 Packers-lost to the 6-10 Redskins, and at home to the 7-9 Dolphins.
    2009 Saints-lost at home to the 3-13 Bucs(and though some may have forgotten, they did have incentive to win that game)
    2008 Steelers-not that bad of a loss, but since protecting Manning and the offense's performance against good pass rushing teams...they looked pretty bad against Philly in their 15-6 loss in week 3.
    2007 Giants-lost 41-17 at home to an 8-8 Viking team, and I believe Eli threw 4 ints.
    2006 Colts-lost 44-17 at an 8-8 Jaguars team, giving up almost 400 rushing yards.

So basically, most Super Bowl teams have taken a bad loss in recent years, some worse than Denver's loss to St. Louis. There is no need to panic too much, Denver still has a good chance.
    Well, when it comes to playoff time, every SB winning team needs some breaks (whether it is Big Ben saving a Bettis fumble return with a shoe string tackle or the Colts not having to face their nemesis the Chargers because the Pats knocked them out or David Tyree or NY Giants punter kicking to DJax leading to last minute TD for Eagles that sent Packers into the playoffs or Jacoby Jones Hail Mary or a 4th down TD pass in NFCCG by Russell Wilson).

The one thing all those teams could turn up during playoff time is play a physical brand of defense and in the case of the 2006 Colts, it was almost a 180 come playoff time.

One can only hope the Broncos get Trevathan back and get back to playing a physical brand of D come playoff time because the 3 physical Ds that they played on the road this year, they have lost to all of them.

The Colts' front 7 still is a work in progress but the secondary has come along further than the front 7 and people forget we are still in year 3 of the rebuild when people kept saying the rebuild will be complete before Luck's rookie contract which is 2 years from now, so we will see. Luck is a big reason we have exceeded expectations and will continue to be.

2005 Broncos, 2006 Colts, 2007 Giants, 2009 Ravens, 2010 Jets, 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens and 2013 Broncos - what do they all have in common? They all played the Patriots during the regular season before knocking them off in the playoffs. Belichick's record which used to be stellar while playing a team a second time has evaporated since 2005. Pats fans think this is their best secondary since 2004, thus that playing-A-team-again-record will be in vogue again while non-Pats fans will wait to pass judgement due to the record from 2005-2013.
    Last edited by chad72; 11-21-2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chad72 View Post
      Well, when it comes to playoff time, every SB winning team needs some breaks (whether it is Big Ben saving a Bettis fumble return with a shoe string tackle or the Colts not having to face their nemesis the Chargers because the Pats knocked them out or David Tyree or NY Giants punter kicking to DJax leading to last minute TD for Eagles that sent Packers into the playoffs or Jacoby Jones Hail Mary or a 4th down TD pass in NFCCG by Russell Wilson).

The one thing all those teams could turn up during playoff time is play a physical brand of defense and in the case of the 2006 Colts, it was almost a 180 come playoff time.

One can only hope the Broncos get Trevathan back and get back to playing a physical brand of D come playoff time because the 3 physical Ds that they played on the road this year, they have lost to all of them.

The Colts' front 7 still is a work in progress but the secondary has come along further than the front 7 and people forget we are still in year 3 of the rebuild when people kept saying the rebuild will be complete before Luck's rookie contract which is 2 years from now, so we will see. Luck is a big reason we have exceeded expectations and will continue to be.

2005 Broncos, 2006 Colts, 2007 Giants, 2009 Ravens, 2010 Jets, 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens and 2013 Broncos - what do they all have in common? They all played the Patriots during the regular season before knocking them off in the playoffs. Belichick's record which used to be stellar while playing a team a second time has evaporated since 2005. Pats fans think this is their best secondary since 2004, thus that playing-A-team-again-record will be in vogue again while non-Pats fans will wait to pass judgement due to the record from 2005-2013.
      That touches on another key point, breaks being a big part of it. The Chargers likely beat the Patriots in the playoffs for the 2006 season if not for McRee's fumble, and if they do win that game they likely would have beaten both Indy and the Bears. They IMO should have appeared the favorite to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl, and they had the game going in their favor, then ended up losing.

The Packers played like the best team in the NFL in the playoffs, but would have missed the playoffs if the Bucs could beat a Detroit team at home that had lost 26 straight road games. If the Giants had beat the Eagles though, I do believe they still make it since Giants would have been division winner and Packers owned the tiebreaker over the Eagles for the wildcard spot.

Giants made the Super Bowl off of 2 fumbles by the 49ers punt returner in the playoffs for the 2011 season, the Ravens made the Super Bowl after getting past Denver from a hail mary play. You would not expect the league's 3rd ranked pass defense to give up a deep pass in a situation where they can likely win the game as long as they don't give up a deep ball.

Favre throws a pick in a situation where it appeared(if I remember correctly)that he had an open receiver in a spot where a completion likely sets up a game winning FG in the NFCC game versus the Saints. If he hits the wide open receiver, the Vikings likely win and go to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints.

The Super Bowl champion's titles in recent years have been well earned, and they were good teams but luck did play a very big roll IMO.

Comment

• after seeing the pass spiked back at the QB in the last game and then having the ball stripped and bounce right back at the QB as he was being tackled gave me the indication that the ball was bouncing their way at home.

now we need some breaks like that the next 6-7 games.

Comment

• St. Louis is a lot better than their record shows. If they had a good QB right now, they'd be one of the best teams in the league. Remember, they also beat San Fran, Seattle, and nearly beat Dallas.
          sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
          Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

• Hopefully we will use this loss as a little wake up call to get us deep in the playoffs.

It let us know we have some issues that need to address.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
              St. Louis is a lot better than their record shows. If they had a good QB right now, they'd be one of the best teams in the league. Remember, they also beat San Fran, Seattle, and nearly beat Dallas.
              they have one of the better defenses in the NFL, one of the TOP ones last year when they did have a better offense.

had their QB not gone down in TC IIRC that conference would be one of the best in the NFL.

when the schedule was announced I put an L next to the game. Knowing what I knew at that time about the NFCW, I figured we would be lucky to come out with one win against it and that was AZ.

Comment

Working...
              X