Playoff Scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff Scenarios

So by NE winning over IND, it seems to me that they basically have a pretty strong hold on the #1 seed.

They have beaten all the top teams in each division and hold head to head tiebreakers over them.

Beat CIN - AFC North
    Beat DEN - AFC West
    Beat IND - AFC South

The only team that has the tiebreaker over them is KC but they basically would have to win out.

In theory then NE basically is 2 games up on each of us and can lose another game and still hold on to the #1.

I just don't see anyone going into Foxboro and beating NE in that place in Jan.

I think that's the reality and what I think we're facing at this point. Maybe I'm reading this wrong and of course you never know what can happen ( injuries, collapses, any given Sunday's) but we are facing an uphill battle because of the loss yesterday and the NE win over Indy.

Can we overcome? I hope so. Will we? Things certainly need to be fixed. Maybe we will do better going on the road. Who knows.

What do you think? What scenarios do you see?

Edit: the one team that can and has beaten NE in NE are the Ravens. They seem to be their kryptonite if they have one.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 11-17-2014, 05:06 PM.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

I'm with you I don't know who can go in Foxboro and knock them off . The Ravens are the only team that I think can but they aren't going to make the playoffs I doubt they will . We struggle in Foxboro , Pats have the Colts number , Steelers historically have trouble against the Pats , and Cincy is a joke in the postseason. Hopefully we can get it done but I just don't know at this point anymore

Comment

Only team I would be fearful of is KC and that is because of their defense.. run the same type of system Rex/Ravens run which has given Brady issues in the past.

Optimistic because I think the Pats defense can handle KC's offense pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
        So by NE winning over IND, it seems to me that they basically have a pretty strong hold on the #1 seed.

They have beaten all the top teams in each division and hold head to head tiebreakers over them.

Beat CIN - AFC North
        Beat DEN - AFC West
        Beat IND - AFC South

The only team that has the tiebreaker over them is KC but they basically would have to win out.

In theory then NE basically is 2 games up on each of us and can lose another game and still hold on to the #1.

I think that's the reality and what I think we're facing at this point. Maybe I'm reading this wrong and of course you never know what can happen ( injuries, collapses, any given Sunday's) but we are facing an uphill battle because of the loss yesterday and the NE win over Indy.

Can we overcome? I hope so. Will we? Things certainly need to be fixed. Maybe we will do better going on the road. Who knows.

Edit: the one team that can and has beaten NE in NE are the Ravens. They seem to be their kryptonite if they have one.
        In the AFC, BAL is likely NE's biggest kryptonite, aside from perhaps NYJ, but the NYJ aren't likely making the playoffs. SFO, AZ and NYG have all won at NE since 2011, but they wouldn't see NE in NE in the playoffs, since it would be in the Super Bowl. However, DEN did come very close to winning in NE in 2013, and it wouldn't be too shocking IMO if they did win there in the playoffs, though they wouldn't deserve to be favored IMO.
        Last edited by fallforward3y+; 11-17-2014, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bgpatsfan View Post
          Only team I would be fearful of is KC and that is because of their defense.. run the same type of system Rex/Ravens run which has given Brady issues in the past.

Optimistic because I think the Pats defense can handle KC's offense pretty well
          The Chiefs offense may have success against the Patriots, if they are creative on offense like they were in the game versus NE earlier this year. I think that was a good job, they ran a methodical offense without it being too simplistic.

IMO if you can limit possessions successfully, you have a decent shot to beat any team, since it makes it difficult for a team to get a big lead and likely keeps the game close. The Chiefs seem to be doing better at that this year than in the past, as they seem to be brilliantly using the short passing game if the run game isn't working. Alex Smith is great with a willingness to take what is there, and methodically drive down field on teams with the passing game. I think a mistake teams make sometimes is to not use the short passing game either as the run or to help set up the run against good run defenses, especially when defenses are stacking the box. The Chiefs did this well against Denver, in the second half outscoring them 7-3, despite a missed field goal. They did lose that game, but it came down to the wire, and likely is not even close if KC doesn't control the clock so well in the second half.

Pittsburgh, if they have a good day may give NE some trouble as well. They can be good at killing clock, LaVeon Bell is a good RB for it, but have the ability to make teams pay BADLY if they try stacking the box, with their short passing game. Antonio Brown running in space with less defenders out there could get real ugly for a defense. They are good at getting big plays down field as well. Their offense would likely need to be more consistent for them to go far in the playoffs IMO, but on a good day, they may be able to beat NE.

Comment

Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
            The Chiefs offense may have success against the Patriots, if they are creative on offense like they were in the game versus NE earlier this year. I think that was a good job, they ran a methodical offense without it being too simplistic.

IMO if you can limit possessions successfully, you have a decent shot to beat any team, since it makes it difficult for a team to get a big lead and likely keeps the game close. The Chiefs seem to be doing better at that this year than in the past, as they seem to be brilliantly using the short passing game if the run game isn't working. Alex Smith is great with a willingness to take what is there, and methodically drive down field on teams with the passing game. I think a mistake teams make sometimes is to not use the short passing game either as the run or to help set up the run against good run defenses, especially when defenses are stacking the box. The Chiefs did this well against Denver, in the second half outscoring them 7-3, despite a missed field goal. They did lose that game, but it came down to the wire, and likely is not even close if KC doesn't control the clock so well in the second half.

Pittsburgh, if they have a good day may give NE some trouble as well. They can be good at killing clock, LaVeon Bell is a good RB for it, but have the ability to make teams pay BADLY if they try stacking the box, with their short passing game. Antonio Brown running in space with less defenders out there could get real ugly for a defense. They are good at getting big plays down field as well. Their offense would likely need to be more consistent for them to go far in the playoffs IMO, but on a good day, they may be able to beat NE.
            NE's run defense has really improved over the last several weeks.. more confident now in our secondary now to be able to stack the box and still be sound in coverage.

Blueprint for stopping KC:

Go big DL with Wilfork Branch Easley
            Revis on Bowe
            Browner and Collins double Kelce
            McCourty centerfield
            Chung in the box
            Hightower spy on alex smith

Fairly limited on offense in KC and if you take away Charles and Kelce they are garbage.

Not worried about Steelers at all. DIck Lebeau is like JDR... Brady has his number and shreds that defense. Steerlers offense is meh... most inconsistent and biggest pretender in football

Comment

I think Baltimore can go in and beat the Pats. Teams that are not going to the playoffs can be the spoiler because they have nothing to loose and Brady usually struggles against the Ravens. I also think they loose in GB just because it is tough to play there and GB looks good. I do believe we can go into NE and beat them, but only when we get things "fixed" and we would need an "us against the world" attitude. We could use Shannon Sharpe to give the Broncos a "play with an attitude speech" as we are missing that. We can also hold out hope that Gronk is out come playoffs-he has some time left to break a bone jumping in some mosh pit or fighting in a bar brawl.

Comment

Its funny because the patriots are the least talented team out of all the playoff contenders. Now you see what great coaching does

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post

Beat CIN - AFC North
                  Beat DEN - AFC West
                  Beat IND - AFC South

I think that sentence pretty much sums it up. The Pats have a pretty nice cushion there. At this point in the game, the AFC contenders might as well figure the road goes through Foxboro. Of course, anything can happen, but the odds are in the Pats favor. I tend to agree with those that think Pitt. has the best chance to go into Foxboro and get a W. BUT, they have to get there first. The Steelers are too Jeckyl and Hyde this year. I like the Chiefs chances against them, but I dont think we get there either.

If somebody happens to knock out the Pats. then Denver is right back in the drivers seat.

Comment

Originally posted by bgpatsfan View Post
                    NE's run defense has really improved over the last several weeks.. more confident now in our secondary now to be able to stack the box and still be sound in coverage.

Blueprint for stopping KC:

Go big DL with Wilfork Branch Easley
                    Revis on Bowe
                    Browner and Collins double Kelce
                    McCourty centerfield
                    Chung in the box
                    Hightower spy on alex smith

Fairly limited on offense in KC and if you take away Charles and Kelce they are garbage.

Not worried about Steelers at all. DIck Lebeau is like JDR... Brady has his number and shreds that defense. Steerlers offense is meh... most inconsistent and biggest pretender in football
                    Blueprint for beating NE has always been the same. A relentless pass rush will slow down Brady and force him into bad throws. Their running game is meh so no worries there. NE has had the luxory of playing some bad defences the last few weeks so I'm not sold on this "Offensive Juggernaut".

As for the NE run defence. Need to see them play against a physical running team before I can give them any kind of reviews. Stopping the run against the Colts isn't difficult since they have no running game. The Bears are pure garbage especially on defence so they have been playing catch up in alot of blowouts and that negates running the ball. The Broncos have no running game.

We have seen these NE teams before destroying inferior defensive teams and then get puched in the mouth when a physical team plays them. I'm sure KC fans are not worried about NE especially if the game is in Arrowhead. Still not out of the realm of possibility since we own the tie breaker.
                    Last edited by BayAreaFBFan; 11-18-2014, 01:09 AM.

Comment

We can beat NE in Foxboro, the problem is Del Rio! He is to "Old School" and not willing to embrace the new ways. On 3rd and long he drops Von Miller into coverage and does not try to blitz. Elway built this defense to get after the QB, so let's do just that!
                      sigpic

Comment

No worries......once Kapri Bibbs is unleashed....we will finally have a run game and we will then be unstoppable...yes, our 5th seeded RB will make all the difference. I'm hiding this post way down here so no crow will need to be eaten. However, if this comes true, I'll certainly find it and say.................."S E E " !!!

Comment

All entirely possible assuming the biggest playoff choking QB of all time does not choke again.
                          sigpic

Comment

Their running game is meh so no worries there. NE has had the luxory of playing some bad defences the last few weeks so I'm not sold on this "Offensive Juggernaut".

199 yards from Dorian Gray against Indy isn't what I would call "MEH"

Comment

NE is imo the best team in the NFL

Against us and Indy I got the feeling they were not even using their full bag of tricks on offense.

Their coaching is better then most teams, far better then ours, and now that their players are starting to gel and play well on both sides of the ball...and the fact they have the drivers seat for home field in the playoffs...I really do not see anyone except NE playing in the Super Bowl

Yea it is the NFL...Any Given Sunday is a way of life...we need to keep trying to get better because anything can happen. Just saying I think the chances of us making the Super Bowl are extremely slim. The difference between what other coaching staffs bring to their team and what our coaches bring to our team is finally starting to catch up to us imo. Going to stop calling it bad coaching...Fox is not a bad coach...he is just not as good as allot of other coaches.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                              X