Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schlereth rips offensive line

I found this quote:

"It's worse than bad — it's horrendous," said Mark Schlereth, the ESPN analyst and ex-Broncos Pro Bowl offensive lineman. "I watch every game of every team every week. It's bad technique-wise, athleticism-wise, toughness-wise. If I was grading, giving an F would be kind."

At one point, John Elway's old teammate said "I know I'm going to get a bunch of texts and calls for this, but I'm sick. I just broke down three (Denver) game films and it's sickening.

"The Broncos won't beat anybody come playoff time, nobody, unless we're healthy at the receiver position, running circles around people, and No. 18 is just shredding people. If there's a we-have-to-run-it situation, if there's a third-and-2, we might as well punt, because we're going to get shoved in the backfield."

"I went back and looked at the last three games — they don't block anybody," Schlereth said, beginning a rant akin to the old "other that that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" line. "I mean, if it's not penetration, they're horrible from an athletic standpoint at getting to the second level. So they lose the line of scrimmage, getting shoved in the backfield, and then at the second level, half the time three guys are shoved back a yard or two and two guys have completely spin around because they've missed their guys and they're watching the action, lantern-holding, like: 'Be careful in there, it's really nasty!'

"This is where stats lie — I think the Broncos lead the league with the least sacks allowed at 11. That's all Peyton Manning, 100 percent, getting rid of the football. They have to be more talented with schemes and getting guys open, because at this point, they can't block their way out of a wet paper sack."

There is not much anyone can say to argue these points. I thought Clady would be better, but he has not been. A bum ankle on a big man is rough. Now that Green is coming back, we need to run primarily 2TE set to help out. I really liked what we did with it earlier in the year. Hope is not lost..... GO BRONCOS!
    res ipsa loquitur

Comment

And he would know. Too bad he couldn't become a O-Line coach for the Broncos.
      Last edited by haciendadad; 11-19-2014, 02:55 PM.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

I love Stink!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
          I love Stink!!
          OMG, me too. He's one of those guys that when he speaks I listen. Same with Tedi Breuschi. Both together on set, they are the best. They don't pull punches.
          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Honestly there are 2 starting caliber O-lineman starting, and one of them has been on the decline...
            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
            I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Somebody's got to get these guys fired up! At this point they can only get better?

Comment

Someone needs to have the O- line sit down and watch this. Tough love...

Comment

Its been a bad week for the Broncos....I've never seen so many former Broncos call out a coach and the team at the same time...
                  I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
                    Someone needs to have the O- line sit down and watch this. Tough love...
                    Who is going play if they sit them

What is starting is almost what they have.
                    Garland Cronick and Clark active.

I've been saying since laT year oh Wayne should've been a priority in the draft

Comment

Maybe he'll piss them off and light a fire under them...Something has to be done because every word he said was fair and true.
                      sigpic

Comment

If somehow the OL can redeem themselves this week, I believe it'd be no fluke. Miami has a legit D. I hope all this negative talk does light a fire under them - no one like to be embarrassed and if they're not embarrassed t his week, then they're completely sheltered. Either they're capable or they're not. Yes there is an element of gelling when shuffling the front 5 but we're beyond gell - we need to do everything possible even if it starts with a unique gameplan to simplify what's going on up front.

From what I understand playing with Manning on OL isn't easy. There's a ton of extra stuff that need be done in order for Manning to do his magic. Well, maybe we need to go back to the basics if the OL can't handle the detailed complicatedness of it. Simplify from the gameplan down - and make this thing work. This will have to be an organization wide effort. I can't wait to see what they come with - and if I see no change at all, well I think I'm gonna be right there with Schlereth .... lost faith -but I'm not there yet. I want to see something different. We all need to see effort here

This game is a really big deal for this team. I think we have a 50/50 shot of becoming the team we're used to and being the team we've been the past 3 weeks. My inherent believe in the Broncos organization is giving me unfounded irrational belief that this week could be different. I await this game with more anticipation than I have any since the Seattle game or the SD game. Back's against the wall - lets see how we respond. Nothing will surprise me.
                        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

You hear this from a former Broncos' lineman and at the same time listen to Fox & Manning at the presser today saying the line is a good line. I understand why Manning bites his tongue because he doesn't want them to get him killed, but I do not understand why Fox is acting like everything is peachy. He should be mad as hell and insisting that something be done, RIGHT OR WRONG. This goes from play calling to the line play. Play calling has a lot to do with our failures as well as poor line play.

Put them back to the way they were and put Garland in for all I care. I am sure it would be better than what we are doing now.
                          sigpic
                          Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                          2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                          2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Yeah but we can't ask anyone to not be themselves. And we know he preaches don't get too up and don't get too down. All that kind of stuff. It might be the position coaches job to be mad ass hell - but Fox likely needs to maintain an even keel and lead by example in this way. And at the same time improve what he's doing too.

I just hope our talented team and staff can pull this thing back on course. It IS quite possible. And if we do get back on the tracks, and start peaking going into the playoffs - look the hell out. We know this offense is capable to scoring. And we now have a defense that is top 5 (I think it's still top 5) - if it does all come together, it could still be a great run.
                            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Franklin wants to blame all the shifts, I think it's a cop out for them getting beat. Get your hat on someone and move them out of the way. No excuse for the oline to look like a red cape in a bull fight

Comment

Working...
                              X