Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did the Broncos let go of Mike Adams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did the Broncos let go of Mike Adams?

Mike Adams is one of the top 5 free safeties in the entire league, according to PFF.

I never saw him in position to make the kind of plays with the Broncos that he is making with the Colts this year. T.J.Ward was more of a strong safety whose pass coverage was not as stellar, so with the weakness existing against TEs in the middle, why did the Broncos let Mike Adams go? The Colts signed him for dirt cheap.

He has been our saving grace in the middle because our LBs cannot cover squat.

Just curious.

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
    Mike Adams is one of the top 5 free safeties in the entire league, according to PFF.

I never saw him in position to make the kind of plays with the Broncos that he is making with the Colts this year. T.J.Ward was more of a strong safety whose pass coverage was not as stellar, so with the weakness existing against TEs in the middle, why did the Broncos let Mike Adams go? The Colts signed him for dirt cheap.

He has been our saving grace in the middle because our LBs cannot cover squat.

Just curious.
    I was wondering the same thing watching the colts game... was always a fan of Rahim Moore and thought he got way too much crap for that play against Baltimore, but watching him this year he has been really disappointing.

Mike Adams was about the only stud on the Colts defense on SNF. Btw whats up with Jackson and Freeman, they are supposed to be two of the better cover LBs and they both seem to be struggling?

But again props to Mike Adams representing my undergrad alma mater... Fightin Blue Hens

Comment

Some guys just don't work in certain systems, with certain locker rooms, under certain coaches. Can't look in hindsight when a guy excels somewhere else.

Comment

We wanted a more physical presence to pair with Moore so we went after TJ Ward.... Adams wanted to start somewhere and he would of been a back-up here.

Ward excels in the box and is a part of the reason we are ranked #2 against the run. His coverage is so-so but still good enough for what we need him to do.

While I imagine Adams has done a solid job when you watch the D in Pittsburgh and then get run all over at home to the Pats I can't imagine Denvers D getting gashed like that.

Comment

I doesn't help when the staff is constantly using their guys outside of their strengths. IMO, ward has done a great job when he is used in a role he is suited for. Asking any SS to play a WR one on one is just silly and asking for trouble. Talib playing off man by 10 yards just drives me crazy, and that's when they're not having them in some soft zone. We need more attitude on defense but our coaches won't allow it.
          Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
            Some guys just don't work in certain systems, with certain locker rooms, under certain coaches. Can't look in hindsight when a guy excels somewhere else.
            Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
            I doesn't help when the staff is constantly using their guys outside of their strengths. IMO, ward has done a great job when he is used in a role he is suited for. Asking any SS to play a WR one on one is just silly and asking for trouble. Talib playing off man by 10 yards just drives me crazy, and that's when they're not having them in some soft zone. We need more attitude on defense but our coaches won't allow it.
            I agree with both of these statements in general

After watching Adams and TJ I am starting to think there is a disconnect somewhere in what a player can do and what we are asking them to do.

Maybe coaches are asking a specific skillset and they player they are getting does not match what they need. Regardless the coaches job is to adjust their plays and game plan to the players strengths and weaknesses...if they do a bad job of this then it makes it easier for opposing coaches to expose flaws in our team.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
              That's what drives me crazy about this staff. Talib is looking like he wasn't worth the money, but we won't play him to his strength (press man). I noticed the same thing with Bailey. When he played 10 yards off, he looked washed up, but when we played him press man, he looked like a Pro Bowler.

Anyway, back on topic..... I thought Mike Adams should have been re-signed. But I figured with Q. Carter coming back from injury, the chances of re-signing Adams was very slim. Glad he's doing well for the Colts.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                But I figured with Q. Carter coming back from injury, the chances of re-signing Adams was very slim. Glad he's doing well for the Colts.
                Q. Carter looked like a high schooler in the St. Louis game. Rahim Moore looked lost as usual. To me, TJ is doing what he can but he is not getting a lot of support on the other side. Bringing in another Safety next year will be a priority.
                sigpic

Comment

Would have been nice to have kept Adams and dumped Moore. Now we have two safeties who can hit but cant cover anyone.
                  :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
                    Q. Carter looked like a high schooler in the St. Louis game. Rahim Moore looked lost as usual. To me, TJ is doing what he can but he is not getting a lot of support on the other side. Bringing in another Safety next year will be a priority.
                    We'll see. Before the injury Carter looked good against New England. I can see him replacing Moore next year if he can get back to his pre-injury form.
                    sigpic

Comment

Adams was good but he was primarily used in man coverage against tes. Trevathan and Marshall was supposed to take over that role with ward spelling them occasionally

Comment

I think Adams is just in a defense, with Indy, that is playing to his strengths. Plus, I think he's pretty determined to prove that letting him go was a bad decision (like every player). In Denver, he seemed just a guy at safety. He wasn't bad but didn't make a lot of stand out plays either. I'm guessing that Denver wanted someone to make a bigger impact, primarily in the run game, thus, TJ Ward. That said, watching Adams excel on another team only reinforced what a lot of people are saying about the coaching staff in Denver. It seems they're hellbent to force players into a system rather than design a system around the player's strengths. Plus, it seems that Denver coaches simply refuse to pick a primary player group and allow them to play together consistently. Instead, there is constantly shifting personnel and I think it significantly reduces production.

Comment

Denver never seems to play bump coverage or get physical at the line for the last 15 years, they are always 10 yards off, no matter the defensive coordinator....jut strange.....same with giving up big plays on 3rd down....no matter what player or defensive coach same problems....very odd

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Rebel View Post
                            Denver never seems to play bump coverage or get physical at the line for the last 15 years, they are always 10 yards off, no matter the defensive coordinator....jut strange.....same with giving up big plays on 3rd down....no matter what player or defensive coach same problems....very odd
                            I've been saying this for the longest. At one point I thought we were cursed. It is strange though.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Rebel View Post
                              Right?! Most weeks, I watch the game with the same people and we say this same thing..."how can they not cover the middle of the field/disrupt the receiver at the line/fix the same problems they have every week?"

Comment

Working...
                              X