Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe DeCamillis joining Broncos staff as special teams coordinator

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Joe DeCamillis joining Broncos staff as special teams coordinator

    Michael C. Wright ‏@mikecwright
    Joe DeCamillis joining Broncos staff as special teams coach, per source.



    BIO:

    Joe DeCamillis is in his second season as Chicago’s assistant head coach/special teams coordinator, after being hired by the franchise on January 16, 2013.

    DeCamillis has 26 years of experience coaching special teams in the NFL. In 21 of his 26 years as an NFL coach, a player on DeCamillis' special teams unit has returned either a punt or a kickoff for a touchdown, with a total of 27 kick return touchdowns (17 punt and 10 kickoff). He has helped coach a punter (Mat McBriar) and returner (Allen Rossum) to Pro Bowl nods. In 2009, DeCamillis was named Dallas’ Ed Block Courage Award winner as voted by the Cowboy players.

  • #2
    I now have to laugh at those Bronco fans slating the Bears hire of Jeff Rodgers from Denver.

    Because Joe DeCamilis? This guy is literally THE WORST.

    Our ST the last two years hasn't been bad. It's been horrendous. You may not have liked Rodgers, but you'll HATE this guy...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JohnShaft View Post
      I now have to laugh at those Bronco fans slating the Bears hire of Jeff Rodgers from Denver.

      Because Joe DeCamilis? This guy is literally THE WORST.

      Our ST the last two years hasn't been bad. It's been horrendous. You may not have liked Rodgers, but you'll HATE this guy...
      These guys are the same IMO. Both crappy ST coaches. Underwhelming hire for sure
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Why hire this guy? He isn't good coach and won't make our special teams any better than what they are currently.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JohnShaft View Post
          I now have to laugh at those Bronco fans slating the Bears hire of Jeff Rodgers from Denver.

          Because Joe DeCamilis? This guy is literally THE WORST.

          Our ST the last two years hasn't been bad. It's been horrendous. You may not have liked Rodgers, but you'll HATE this guy...
          Hey, you guys took all of our castoffs, it seems only fair we take one of yours......

          Comment


          • #6
            That's a bad move for sure. The Bears' ST units crumbled with DeCamilis.

            Ugh.

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi
              RT @Broncos: NEWS: The #Broncos have agreed to terms with Joe DeCamillis to become special teams coordinator.--->>#WestSide guy!!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Yikes..... although the guy is a trooper. Survived a building collapse.
                Last edited by LSIGRAD09; 01-20-2015, 03:06 PM.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, to be fair...

                  Weak special teams has been a staple of Broncos football for more than a decade.

                  It's only fitting that we continue the tradition.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    He's been employed consistently in the NFL since 1988 as a Special Teams Coordinator, I think that says some positive things about him. The backbone of special teams are made up of backup linebackers and defensive backs, given how the Bears have fared on defense the last two years I would blame personnel as much as coach for their issues the last 2 years.

                    We also have no idea how much of a priority either the Bears or Broncos have made special teams the last few years, teams that are better at Specials tend to make it a priority and practice more than teams that tend to be bad at it.

                    My only concern about DeCamillias is during his time in Dallas I remember his punt unit always used an offset line, I was never a fan of that, I don't know if he's continued to do that in Chicago but hope that he doesn't do it here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      He's been employed consistently in the NFL since 1988 as a Special Teams Coordinator, I think that says some positive things about him. The backbone of special teams are made up of backup linebackers and defensive backs, given how the Bears have fared on defense the last two years I would blame personnel as much as coach for their issues the last 2 years.

                      We also have no idea how much of a priority either the Bears or Broncos have made special teams the last few years, teams that are better at Specials tend to make it a priority and practice more than teams that tend to be bad at it.

                      My only concern about DeCamillias is during his time in Dallas I remember his punt unit always used an offset line, I was never a fan of that, I don't know if he's continued to do that in Chicago but hope that he doesn't do it here.
                      I'm trying to find some positives in this move, just struggling to come up with them.

                      Here's some info from an article when he was signed by the Bears:
                      DeCamillis comes to Chicago with a highly-touted reputation, similar to Toub’s, but with nowhere near equivalent production on the field. In point of fact, DeCamillis hasn’t produced a special teams unit ranked above 14th in the NFL through his last seven seasons.

                      From 2006-2012, DeCamillis’ units have an average ranking of 19th between three teams—the Atlanta Falcons, the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Dallas Cowboys. Three different teams, each with a different set of players, between seven seasons, all with average-at-best results.
                      http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-be...oe-decamillis/

                      According to the same site, http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst, used in the article the Bears were ranked 25th in special teams this year, just 2 spots ahead of the Broncos at 27th.

                      What was once the Bears biggest strength is now a weakness. Though an argument can be made about the caliber of players the Bears had on special teams then compared to now, maybe he was hamstrung by a lack of talent.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                        I'm trying to find some positives in this move, just struggling to come up with them.

                        Here's some info from an article when he was signed by the Bears:

                        http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-be...oe-decamillis/

                        According to the same site, http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst, used in the article the Bears were ranked 25th in special teams this year, just 2 spots ahead of the Broncos at 27th.

                        What was once the Bears biggest strength is now a weakness. Though an argument can be made about the caliber of players the Bears had on special teams then compared to now, maybe he was hamstrung by a lack of talent.
                        When the Bears specials were at their best they had a really good D and dynamic returner, a dynamic returner can make even the most average special teams look great.

                        Didn't know about the rankings, a little disappointing but at least they got someone from a unit ranked higher than they were.

                        Just for comparison sake (and I'll look at the link you provided) any idea how our former coaches ST units ranked?

                        EDIT: The other thing I'll add is that Kubiak is coming here after spending a year in an organization that has a former STC as it's head coach, I'm willing to bet that Baltimore invests plenty of time in their specials, hopefully Kubiak is willing to invest that time as well. And I say that selfishly as a guy who's been a STC for a long time, I've coached teams where I've had next to no time and I've coached teams where I get regular time every day and there's no comparison, the specials at the team where I get daily time are better than what I can produce in limited time.
                        Last edited by Butler By'Note; 01-20-2015, 04:41 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Looking at the rankings both Chicago and Denver were bad on punt last year but in looking at it their punters were almost identical, neither had a great net average, neither forced fair catches, both teams had 33 returns against, Chicago's coverage gave up less yards. I would say if Denver brings in a better punter they should be able to improve that considerably. Chicago's kickoff coverage was much better than Denver's, neither was great on PR although Chicago was better than Denver. The one advantage Denver had was on KOR and I'm willing to bet that was almost completely because Bolden busted two long returns at the end.

                          His coverage units look neutral, I would say if Denver gets a better punter and adds a decent returner they should be able to get into the middle of the pack. Not great but would be better than being poor.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            In 2013 he had Chicago's specials ranked 11th, Denver was 21st that year. I'm not sure how they get these numbers though, if I recall correctly the 2013 Seattle Seahawks set and NFL record (or were close) for fewest number of yards given up on returns when they punted, it was somewhere around 45 total yards. However these rankings have the 2013 Seattle punt team ranked 4th, way behind St Louis who they have first.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                              Looking at the rankings both Chicago and Denver were bad on punt last year but in looking at it their punters were almost identical, neither had a great net average, neither forced fair catches, both teams had 33 returns against, Chicago's coverage gave up less yards. I would say if Denver brings in a better punter they should be able to improve that considerably. Chicago's kickoff coverage was much better than Denver's, neither was great on PR although Chicago was better than Denver. The one advantage Denver had was on KOR and I'm willing to bet that was almost completely because Bolden busted two long returns at the end.

                              His coverage units look neutral, I would say if Denver gets a better punter and adds a decent returner they should be able to get into the middle of the pack. Not great but would be better than being poor.
                              Thanks for looking up the stats, interesting info.

                              Colquitt struggled this year, no sugar coating it. He was ranked 25th in average, 29th in net average, 18th in fair catches, and 17th on punts inside the 20. Basically bottom half the league in every category.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X