Bad news on the DC front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news on the DC front

https://twitter.com/espn_denver/stat...31538704793602 @ESPN_Denver: Per our own @CecilLammey- w/Vance Joseph unable to get out of his contract, #Broncos LB Coach Richard Smith is favorite to become new DC.

Go get Schwartz or Wade!

Comment

Vance Joseph is staying with Bengals

Well, this changes some things............

FOX Sports' Alex Marvez reports the Bengals will not allow DBs coach Vance Joseph out of his contract to pursue a defensive-coordinator job.

The Broncos requested permission to interview Joseph for their DC opening, but were spurned by the Bengals. The 49ers also reportedly had some interest in Joseph. This isn't uncommon, as teams who value their assistant coaches often keep them away from other teams unless it's for a head-coaching gig. Joseph will be back with the Bengals to coach the defensive backs in 2015.

Related: Broncos

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

Comment

I thought that teams had to let coaches go if its an UPGRADE from the position they are currently at?

DB coach to DC is an upgrade....

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
          I thought that teams had to let coaches go if its an UPGRADE from the position they are currently at?

I thought the same also...
          I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Nope. Only for head coach.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Neither of those answers are correct. They are required to give permission if the NFL sees the move as an upgrade. But the NFL doesn't acknowledge DB coach to DC as an upgrade, just a lateral move.

However, if we really wished to grab an assistant coach as DC, we could choose to name him Assistant Head Coach - Defensive Coordinator. The NFL sees that as an upgrade, and the Bengals would have to allow permission.
              Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

@ESPN_Denver: Per our own @CecilLammey- w/Vance Joseph unable to get out of his contract, #Broncos LB Coach Richard Smith is favorite to become new DC.

They better not go this route, i do not want a Del Rio guy. Wade or Schwartz!

Comment

That sucks.

Comment

We'll miss out and down the line he'll be a DC somewhere else kicking our butts, our luck lately..
                    KENTUCKY WILDCATS/DENVER BRONCOS

Comment

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi
                      There's no coaches organization or union to lean on here. It's Mike Brown stubbornly denying a coach's promotion. Could double his pay!

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post

Nope, teams only need to allow coaches to leave to become head coaches. A few years ago the Buccaneers blocked one of their coaches (I think Joe Barry) from leaving to be the DC for his father in law in Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by soloking View Post
                          @ESPN_Denver: Per our own @CecilLammey- w/Vance Joseph unable to get out of his contract, #Broncos LB Coach Richard Smith is favorite to become new DC.

They better not go this route, i do not want a Del Rio guy. Wade or Schwartz!

I believe Smith was Kubiak's DC for at least a year or two in Houston, I don't recall it going well.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
                            Neither of those answers are correct. They are required to give permission if the NFL sees the move as an upgrade. But the NFL doesn't acknowledge DB coach to DC as an upgrade, just a lateral move.

However, if we really wished to grab an assistant coach as DC, we could choose to name him Assistant Head Coach - Defensive Coordinator. The NFL sees that as an upgrade, and the Bengals would have to allow permission.

The NFL rule is that teams only have to let coaches out of their contracts to become a head coach, no other position including Assistant head coaching positions.

Comment

Man, I heard really good things about Joseph, ah well.

I really want an outside hire, it'd be good to get a truly fresh start, who else is out there?
                              A book I wrote

Comment

Working...
                              X