No announcement yet.

Bad news on the DC front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come on Kubiak (and Elway)...get us a real/true defensive coordinator in here soon before known are left.

ST coach is already a joke...don't do the same with the DC.

Comment

Originally posted by 24TheCHAMP24 View Post
      Because he already took a job with the Saints
      Thanks. That would explain it!

Comment

Who likes leftovers? That's what we are having for defense next season.

Comment

Marvin Lewis, Mike Brown, NFL need to do the right thing for Vance Joseph

By Mike Klis The Denver Post

It’s time for Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis to step up and be heard on behalf of his defensive backs coach Vance Joseph.

This isn’t about the Broncos. This is about Joseph, the former University of Colorado backup quarterback, getting the promotion he has earned and deserves.

Joseph is in hot demand, and not just by the Broncos. The San Francisco 49ers have offered Joseph not only their defensive coordinator position but also a title as assistant head coach. The 49ers were the team that gave Joseph his first NFL coaching job in 2005.

The Broncos want Joseph to become their defensive coordinator, which would reunite Joseph with head coach Gary Kubiak. Joseph was Kubiak’s secondary coach in Houston from 2011-13.

If the Bengals did the right thing, Joseph would have a tough decision to make. Not surprisingly given their history, the Bengals have denied Joseph to interview with the Broncos and the 49ers. And yet the Bengals are not sending out an announcement that Joseph has been promoted.

This is the wrong stance for a candidate of any color much less a minority. In the week our nation is honoring Martin Luther King and his life’s work for racial equality, the Bengals are denying Joseph, an African American, his right for a career advancement.

Does the NFL, which has proven to be slow to understand the magnitude of social issues, understand the injustice here? Perhaps, the league is simply too preoccupied with that all-important matter of deflated footballs.

The league has instituted a Rooney Rule that demands teams interview minority candidates for head coaching positions, yet it also gives teams the right to deny minority candidates a chance for advancement. It’s a policy that smacks of hypocrisy.

Supposedly it’s Brown, the Bengals’ owner, who is denying Joseph, but I have my doubts. Joseph has only been on the Bengals coaching staff for one year. We’ve all witnessed how Brown has operated the Bengals, who haven’t won a playoff game in 26 years. What can he know about the quality of defensive back coaches?

Lewis, the Bengals’ head coach who is an African American, needs to lend Joseph his support.

The promotion from position coach to coordinator is a huge deal. The way the NFL works, offensive and defensive coordinators become top head coach candidates. Rarely does a position coach make the jump to head coach, although Mike Tomlin did it with the Steelers. And Tomlin, an African American, has proved to be a very good coach.

There’s a reason why they call it the Rooney Rule. Lewis should know better than anybody that the Rooneys and the Steelers are paradigms of doing things right. In 1995, Lewis had finished up his fifth season as the Steelers’ linebackers coach. The Baltimore Ravens — Pittsburgh’s most intense NFL rival — then offered him a promotion to defensive coordinator and the Rooneys and coach Bill Cowher did not stand in his way.

After six years with the Ravens, Lewis became defensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins in 2002 and it was from there that he was hired to become the Bengals’ head coach.

Marvin Lewis was once in the same position Joseph is in now. Unfortunately for Joseph, the Bengals in every way are not the Steelers.
          http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...-joseph/32263/

Comment

Great read. Thanks for sharing. I agree

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
              Come on Kubiak (and Elway)...get us a real/true defensive coordinator in here soon before known are left.

ST coach is already a joke...don't do the same with the DC.
              Not sure what metric you are looking at but the Bears had some of the best coverage units in football under his guidence
              sigpic

Thanks to dbfan2007 for sig

Comment

So a Denver beat writer brings up the irrelevant Rooney rule about a DC candidate who was blocked from leaving, in accordance with the rules, and it's not about the Broncos. Right!

They chose not to let him out of his contract. Time to move on.
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

If the niners offered to make him an assistance headcoach that isn't something they can block if I remember right...
                  sigpic

Comment

Wade Phillips would be a good pick for DC, he coached in Denver before and he coached for Kubes with the texans, the Texans defense improved alot under Wade.
                    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
                      Great read. Thanks for sharing. I agree
                      The only way this is justified is if the ownership sees Joseph as an asset they need to hold on to if they have Lewis on a short leash. Which you would think he has been on for some time. If they make a move and Joseph becomes their guy or moves up in their organization then that's fine. They should hold the right to promote from within.

If they fire Lewis and this guy gets the ax or isn't promoted then it's a pretty nasty thing to do.
                      Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
                        The only way this is justified is if the ownership sees Joseph as an asset they need to hold on to if they have Lewis on a short leash. Which you would think he has been on for some time. If they make a move and Joseph becomes their guy or moves up in their organization then that's fine. They should hold the right to promote from within.

If they fire Lewis and this guy gets the ax or isn't promoted then it's a pretty nasty thing to do.
                        I'm glad you wrote this. It gets tiring to see an automatic assumption based on someones race. Maybe they just really like the guy as much as the 9ers and Broncos also seem to like and want him?

Comment

Here are the rules:

Promotions
                          The NFL does not differentiate between levels of assistant coaches in its rules regarding their availability to interview with other teams. Whether the coach is a defensive line coach or an offensive coordinator, the rules are the same. If a team wishes to interview an assistant coach who is still under contract with another team for its head coaching position, the current team is required to give permission for the interview as long as it happens between the end of the team's season and March 1. After March 1, teams can still ask, but the current team is not obligated to give permission.

Lateral Move
                          An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach who is under contract as an assistant with another team for the following season without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere, but the current team is not required to give permission.

Comment

does anyone actually know anything about the LB coach we have other than him being part of a top 10 squad, and coached a group that had some no-names (Danny T, Brandon Marshall) emerge as superstars? Or do we not like him simply because he was part of the previous staff, and that's a no-no?

Comment

Originally posted by cmc0605 View Post
                              does anyone actually know anything about the LB coach we have other than him being part of a top 10 squad, and coached a group that had some no-names (Danny T, Brandon Marshall) emerge as superstars? Or do we not like him simply because he was part of the previous staff, and that's a no-no?
                              IMO, considering the hand-wringing that everyone has EVERY YEAR about the quality of the LBers on the roster, and yet they perform pretty damn good, it speaks highly to the coaching ability of their position coach. Also, just a random stereotype, but I would think a LBer coach as a DC would be the type that would love to play aggressive and let their guys get some stats.

Comment

looking back I can't help but ask how about Larry coyer who produced a top ten defense In scoring all 3 years that he was here
                                Last edited by Sam_Z; 01-21-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X