Got to love Tom Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got to love Tom Jackson

Watching he pro bowl and Ditka kind of tried to go off on how Denver really made a mistake by getting rid of John Fox and that Chicago was the winner by pulling Fox in. Ditka kind of thought it was stupid to get rid of a coach who went 12-4 and made it to the playoffs and Tom Jackson really made a point that with the talent the Broncos had, they should have at least been playing in the championship game. Tom thought Kubiak was a needed change and he was really frustrated with Ditka's opinion that "Elway made a major mistake." He has been retired for a long time, but Tom Jackson bleeds orange and blue and I love the guy!

The only mistake Elway made was not firing Fox at halftime in the SuperBowl and getting his ass down in the locker room to fire those pansies up against the Hawks.

Comment

Originally posted by trc1962 View Post
      Watching he pro bowl and Ditka kind of tried to go off on how Denver really made a mistake by getting rid of John Fox and that Chicago was the winner by pulling Fox in. Ditka kind of thought it was stupid to get rid of a coach who went 12-4 and made it to the playoffs and Tom Jackson really made a point that with the talent the Broncos had, they should have at least been playing in the championship game. Tom thought Kubiak was a needed change and he was really frustrated with Ditka's opinion that "Elway made a major mistake." He has been retired for a long time, but Tom Jackson bleeds orange and blue and I love the guy!

These guys get paid to have contradictory opinions. Pretty boring if they just agreed all the time. I don't think Fox is great, but for Chicago it should be an upgrade. I think it's win-win.
      Bowlen: "no competitive advantage" in salary cap violations.

Comment

There's opinions and there's stupidity. I'm surprised a guy like Ditka would fail to see how Fox's teams wilted when punched in the mouth.
        sigpic

Comment

Chicago had a terrible defense, so Fox should help them. But I'm tired of these amiable, defensive-minded coaches wasting the careers of HOF-caliber quarterbacks with their conservative game plans harking from the era when football scores were something like 10-7. Peyton Manning deserved better than low-metabolism coaches like Tony Dungy and John Fox who couldn't get their teams fired up for the playoffs and played not to lose rather than to win. Ditto for Elway with Wade Phillips and Dan Reeves.

Comment

Considering how Mike Ditka emphasises toughness and playing with heart, I don't think he will approve John Fox for very long.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Donkinator View Post
              These guys get paid to have contradictory opinions. Pretty boring if they just agreed all the time. I don't think Fox is great, but for Chicago it should be an upgrade. I think it's win-win.
              He'll right the ship in Chicago and turn the team into a competitive winning team but eventually he'll hit his ceiling and it'll be time to move on.

Comment

Even Gruden said he was surprised that a coach that went 12-4 and won 4 division titles in a row would get the axe. We had hit our ceiling with Fox period. He will stabilize Chicago and get some wins and make them respectable and that is good.

Comment

TJ putting Ditka in his place and every former player that is an analyst for ESPN ripping the Patriots about deflategate were better than the actual probowl
                  sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

All coaches will have sympathy for Fox. He had success, 4 div titles, 2 playoff wins and a AFC Championship. There is enough there for every coach to sympathize with Fox imo

Fox needed to go imo but I can understand how coaches are crying for him.

IMO Dikta is not even good enough to pilot any our teams to the Div title so his opinion I really do not care about. Ditka makes McD look like a genius when it comes to player decisions.

Gruden would have won twice as many playoff games with those teams...did not hear what he said but I am surprised he does not recognize that. IMO a Gruden coached team would have beaten Balt and Indy for sure and maybe another win in fours years some where. Under Gruden our teams would have not looked to under prepared against every single experienced coaching staff. Our players would have been focused and played with heart. Gruden was one of the few coaches who could win with Al Davis man.
                    Let's Ride!

Comment

No....STUPID is trading away your ENTIRE DRAFT (plus a #1 the following year) to move up 7 spots for ONE player!!

THAT.....is stupid.

Ditka was a great, transcendent player.....but a meat head coach, and wouldn't know a smart football management choice if it hit him in the face!

Comment

Originally posted by tonray View Post
                        The only mistake Elway made was not firing Fox at halftime in the SuperBowl and getting his ass down in the locker room to fire those pansies up against the Hawks.
                        Amen to that!! :thumb:

Comment

I think the Bears will improve slightly but until someone can 'get through' to Jay Cutler, it's not gonna garner a whole lot of improvement. Articles claim how Fox is a proven winner. But even that is difficult to say when Manning is your QB. Adam Gase' non-intimidating attitude might work well with Cutler. But just how far can they get him?

I didn't see this round table interview of Tom Jackson and Ditka. There have been times in the past where Tom Jackson had been brutally honest in his journalistic opinion of the Broncos. So while he might bleed Oj and Blue, he's always 'kept it real'. He's nothing like the Heath Evans and that other dude on NFLN (former Patriots) Listening to those 2 is a waste of time when talking about anything Patriots unless you want to hear lies that make you feel good -if you're a Pats fan.

Fox seems like a good fit in CHI. I really thought Firing Tressman was a bad idea though. I mean here's a guy who has an even milder mannered disposition. Get any tougher to get a long with than that and you might have a rebellious Jay Cutler again. The problem in CHI is Jay Cutler ............ and the defense all the sudden. Fangio should do a good job

As for the Broncos. I was surprise the trigger was pulled but I also wasn't. I mean, look at the expectations vs the results. When a coach boasts about 4 years of success that all ended with horrible failure 'outs' ....... it's no wonder really. I mean look how Baltimore went out this year, they can be proud at least. The OPPOSITE style the Broncos went out with.

IN fact when we played Baltimore, I think Denver could at least be a little proud of that game. Yeah it was a failure too, but not like the SB or this past season's last games. At least we had a shot ..... so 4 years of success but each season it died worse and worse and worse
                          Last edited by dizzolve; 01-26-2015, 07:17 AM.
                          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Tom Jackson is the man.
                            "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                            PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                            LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Even Gruden said he was surprised that a coach that went 12-4 and won 4 division titles in a row would get the axe. We had hit our ceiling with Fox period. He will stabilize Chicago and get some wins and make them respectable and that is good.
                              The reason was that it wasn't Fox who won 12 games - it was Peyton Manning. He's AVERAGED 12 wins a season for his entire career.

Chicago is where Fox's career went to die. He will fail in Chicago and never get another head coaching job in the NFL. He's utterly screwed!

Think about this:

#1 Problem - Jeff George Cutler is your QB. He just signed this contract:
                              1/2/2014: Signed a seven-year, $126.7 million contract. The deal contains $54 million guaranteed -- each of Cutler's first three base salaries. There was no signing bonus. 2014: $17.5 million (+ $5 million "signing" bonus), 2015: $15.5 million, 2016: $16 million,
                              If they cut him it's a ginormous cap hit that eats up an enormous part of their cap space, but how can they keep him? He's beyond terrible. They brought in Marc Tressman to work with him and get him straightened out and he got his coach fired. It's just a total disaster.

#2 - If they eat the cap hit and get rid of Cutler who's their QB? David Fales? They have nobody. And despite their 5-11 record they have no shot at Mariota or Jameis Winston in the draft.

Apparently Fox agrees because this is the latest news out of Chicago:
                              The Bears' hire of Loggains under new coach John Fox suggests the team intends to keep Cutler for 2015, despite speculation Cutler could be traded. It's believed Loggains won't be "afraid to challenge Cutler, which the quarterback welcomes." A former Titans assistant, Loggains reportedly "pushed hard" for Tennessee to draft Cutler over Vince Young in 2006. Almost all signs point to Cutler remaining the Bears' quarterback in 2015.
                              This will be Cutler's 10th season in the league. At some point you are what you are. When he was in Denver I actually believed in Cutler and thought it was a mistake to trade him.

But, time passes and that ship sailed a long time ago. Does anybody really believe that hiring a new QB coach now is going to stop Jeff George Cutler from throwing picks and turn him into a QB worth $126 million?

Not a chance!

So, what's the Bears plan for 2016 - after Jay flames out again and the fans are rioting in the stands and wearing paper bags because the team refused to get rid of him right now? How long before they are howling for Fox's head? How long will they put up with his saying "Uhhhnn. I don't have an answer for that."

And remember that needing a franchise QB and getting one are two very different things. Some teams go for a decade or more and 3 or 4 head coaches and GMs before they get one. And some teams like Tampa Bay or the Jaguars never get one at all.
                              Last edited by Cugel; 01-26-2015, 09:41 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X