Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Residents: What's the local mood on Peyton's Return?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Denver Residents: What's the local mood on Peyton's Return?

    I'm in Maryland, and the local sports radio for the Ravens and Redskins usually has the scoop on the mood of the teams and inside knowledge before the rest of the country. I was about 95% sure Peyton wanted to come back and the Broncos couldn't wait for him to announce it. However, there's been a couple of reports the last two days suggesting the Broncos aren't 100% sure they're ready to pull the trigger on Peyton. In addition, there's been a couple of questions about whether Peyton wants to deal with another year. I'm not listening to typical Broncos/Peyton critics, but things just seem a little different than they've ever been.

    I'd love to have Peyton back to get the 2nd ring, but I've begun to get a little concerned over his desire and/or the Bronco's desire to bring him back. What's the local talk?

  • #2
    Honestly the local talk is all over the place. Some want Manning back at any cost because they believe the Broncos can not win w/o him. The other side of the argument is he is too old and can't make the plays to win anymore.

    The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

    Much depends on how Kubiak and Dennison can develop the offensive strategy to maximize Manning's strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Can they rebuild the o-line and develop a reliable and efficient run game. Can Manning adjust to not running the no huddle audible offense he is used to running.

    A lot of questions because of the changes this year. So the mood of Denver very much relies on who you talk with and their viewpoint. It is split.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
      I'm in Maryland, and the local sports radio for the Ravens and Redskins usually has the scoop on the mood of the teams and inside knowledge before the rest of the country. I was about 95% sure Peyton wanted to come back and the Broncos couldn't wait for him to announce it. However, there's been a couple of reports the last two days suggesting the Broncos aren't 100% sure they're ready to pull the trigger on Peyton. In addition, there's been a couple of questions about whether Peyton wants to deal with another year. I'm not listening to typical Broncos/Peyton critics, but things just seem a little different than they've ever been.

      I'd love to have Peyton back to get the 2nd ring, but I've begun to get a little concerned over his desire and/or the Bronco's desire to bring him back. What's the local talk?
      What part of MD are you in? I live in Manassas not too far from the beltway. I also listen to 106.7 The Fan, and it often gives me some good perspective on how good our team is. It just seems like a total circus for the Redskins most of the time. Have you tried the 104.3 App so you can stream the Denver sports radio station? I use it pretty often during football season, though it does tend to crash a lot.

      Comment


      • #4
        The fact that Manning is working with the personal trainer he is, suggests he is wanting to make sure he can work through an NFL season. So much talk about how he can't run Kubiaks offense when Kubiak himself said that was untrue. I also have more faith in Elway as a professional to not be straight up with Manning and instead dribble information out that he is not wanted. Elway said he wants him back, Kubiak says he can run his offense and Manning is working hard - that's really all I need to hear. Lots of blah, blah around the league right now because there isn't much to talk about and the pundits like to posture - imagine getting paid a high sum to "posture!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sybrite View Post
          What part of MD are you in? I live in Manassas not too far from the beltway. I also listen to 106.7 The Fan, and it often gives me some good perspective on how good our team is. It just seems like a total circus for the Redskins most of the time. Have you tried the 104.3 App so you can stream the Denver sports radio station? I use it pretty often during football season, though it does tend to crash a lot.
          I'm in Baltimore, but travel a lot to Northern VA. Yeah, 106.7 is a circus and they often report tons of things about the players (their off the field issues and players having problems with other players or coaches). 104.3 is decent, I'm just not a big fan of some of the commentators.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
            I'm in Baltimore, but travel a lot to Northern VA. Yeah, 106.7 is a circus and they often report tons of things about the players (their off the field issues and players having problems with other players or coaches). 104.3 is decent, I'm just not a big fan of some of the commentators.
            I'm in VA and listen to 106.7 a lot. I haven't given 104.3 a listen yet, but I've become a pretty big fan of most of the guys on 106.7, even though I can't stand most of the the fanbase.

            Comment


            • #7
              There is a noticeable split among the fan base. Some think that he's all washed up and another year with him at QB is an exercise in futility. Others believe he is the Broncos only chance at winning anything and think he should come back at all cost.

              Personally, I'm in the middle. I think he's showing noticeable decline in physical ability and his time is limited. If he comes back, it will likely be his last season. I enjoy watching how things unfold, so if he stays, I'll root for him every Sunday and I'll be interested to see how he holds up. If he retires, I'll root for the next guy and I'll be interested to see how he holds up.

              I get that people want to take a "SB win or it's all a waste of time" approach, but the fact is it's all a waste of time. Pro sports is a form of entertainment and the Broncos winning record has no bearing on quality of life. Sure, it's great when we go to the SB, but its agonizing if we lose. It sucks missing the playoffs, but it's interesting to watch the team grow and improve. In the end, I have to go to work and raise my family regardless of the Broncos' current state.

              Why put so much fear into watching a professional football team? Relax and enjoy the product as a whole and realize you will stay a fan regardless of the here and now. Yes, we all want to win, but we tend to hold onto the fear of losing with a white knuckle grip.

              There's a point where we need to embrace change in pro sports because it's the only constant.

              Life will endure long after Peyton retires, I assure all of you. Heck, things might be good after he retires - or it may all just suck eggs. Who knows - that's the fun of sports. That's why we are compelled to follow a team. We watch because we want to see how it turns out, not because life as we know it will end based on a single player.

              Let the chips fall where they may. I'll be a fan no matter what, so enjoy what we have now and look forward to the unforeseeable future.

              Comment


              • #8
                I personally believe Peyton is very capable of playing at a high level and his drop off late in the season was due to the quad tear. Prior to the injury Peyton threw more TDs than anyone in the league. However, I realize there's a divide between some of the fans, but I was more curious about the mood with the local media.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
                  I personally believe Peyton is very capable of playing at a high level and his drop off late in the season was due to the quad tear. Prior to the injury Peyton threw more TDs than anyone in the league. However, I realize there's a divide between some of the fans, but I was more curious about the mood with the local media.
                  Local media. From what I have heard they all favor a Manning return.

                  Not sure if i have heard any negative reports from the media in fact. At worst a couple of radio talk hosts mildly questioning at most.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Local media wants him to return for the most part. I keep hearing 20-30 the 50 games before his arrival and 40-10 since he came here so why wouldn't they want him back. Some are contrarian for ratings, but most want him back.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sybrite View Post
                      What part of MD are you in? I live in Manassas not too far from the beltway. I also listen to 106.7 The Fan, and it often gives me some good perspective on how good our team is. It just seems like a total circus for the Redskins most of the time. Have you tried the 104.3 App so you can stream the Denver sports radio station? I use it pretty often during football season, though it does tend to crash a lot.
                      Lot of history in Manassas. Visited there years ago.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Personally I want him to come back for as long as he can. If we can build a team around him and protect him he is better than 98% of the QB's in the league. Why would you not want him if he can play?

                        Broncos fans, myself included, have been spoiled the last 3 years. While I am critical of the team at certain points winning is never a bad thing. We can always revert back to the days of being a bad .500 team.
                        sigpic
                        Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                        2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                        2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sybrite View Post
                          What part of MD are you in? I live in Manassas not too far from the beltway. I also listen to 106.7 The Fan, and it often gives me some good perspective on how good our team is. It just seems like a total circus for the Redskins most of the time. Have you tried the 104.3 App so you can stream the Denver sports radio station? I use it pretty often during football season, though it does tend to crash a lot.
                          I use that app a lot. But it does crash all the time. It's terribly programmed or something
                          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Does the local media hint at any inside info? Anyone heard any anonymous quotes?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm thinking he will be back for at least one more season, I for one am glad.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X