Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Residents: What's the local mood on Peyton's Return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Donkinator
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    Because most indications point toward an increased emphasis on the run game. Also Kubiak's offenses tend to have more of a scripted and coach driven structure. Also tend to be more under center and have rollouts too but Kubiak will need to adjust to Manning too.

I am not expecting Manning to be running the same type offense he has historically been given the freedom to run. Not the same player, not the same coaches and IMO not the same offense. Do you see it differently?

Because most indications point toward an increased emphasis on the run game. Also Kubiak's offenses tend to have more of a scripted and coach driven structure. Also tend to be more under center and have rollouts too but Kubiak will need to adjust to Manning too.

I am not expecting Manning to be running the same type offense he has historically been given the freedom to run. Not the same player, not the same coaches and IMO not the same offense. Do you see it differently?

I see it two ways: The offense has to take some things from the one he ran in Indy (Tom Moore's), or Manning is going to get killed in the postseason. At the same time it has to adapt to his failing arm strength or he will be a pick six machine with the WRs on permanent concussion protocol.

The key to the offense he ran in Indy was execution and almost everything based on play action and specifically the stretch play. Manning's check downs were simple (all that gesticulating to the contrary). He checked into whatever the personnel and positioning were least prepared to defend. At the same time, the stretch held the defense and let those seam routes open up. (The mesh concept shares some similarities with the zone read that Seattle runs.) It all started with the stretch--which kept the D from pinning its ears back.He had great receivers which didn't hurt. If the D was looking in the backfield he held the ball and passed, etc.

Can he still sprint out quickly enough to run a stretch play--and can the offense be adapted to attack the underside of the defense without a consistent deep threat? That is the question, in my mind. Without the stretch, you would need to put Manning into a conventional play action offense--and I'm just not convinced his arm is going to keep the pass rush at bay.

Leave a comment:

• Colem9r
    replied
    Ive been hearing rumors and they are just that.. If Peyton doesn't come back they go after Locker in free agency and Grayson from CSU in the draft..

Leave a comment:

• trc1962
    replied
    I think if Manning is done in Denver he would retire, not head to another team. I also think that the fact that Ellis flew down to pick him up is indicative of him probably playing for another year. I doubt they would waste the time or effort to go all the way to New Orleans to get somebody they want to cut. I think Kubiak will have no problem adjusting his offense to Peyton, I think that is a nonfactor in the decision. It will come down to health and most likely mean another year. It was interesting this morning that ESPN commented that had he been held out and allowed to heal after his injury he would have been better for the playoffs. The finger was pointed at Fox and they suggested that Manning will have to trust Kubiak if he is held out at times this season. The other comment is that Brock has to be decent as there is a poor supply of q-backs out there right now either via free agency or the draft and he would have to "be the guy."

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by The Donkinator View Post
    Why does Manning have to adjust to not running no-huddle, audible-based offense?

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied
    I love Peyton it's be great to have him back but I don't think it is going to happen. I do believe Peyton will continue playing but probably for the Arizona cardinals. They desperately need a QB and it is extremely warm there and in a DOME ,but most of all they give him s good chance to win.

If not then he's still in denver but if so I wish him the best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• dshawg1
    replied
    Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    I'm in Maryland, and the local sports radio for the Ravens and Redskins usually has the scoop on the mood of the teams and inside knowledge before the rest of the country. I was about 95% sure Peyton wanted to come back and the Broncos couldn't wait for him to announce it. However, there's been a couple of reports the last two days suggesting the Broncos aren't 100% sure they're ready to pull the trigger on Peyton. In addition, there's been a couple of questions about whether Peyton wants to deal with another year. I'm not listening to typical Broncos/Peyton critics, but things just seem a little different than they've ever been.

I'd love to have Peyton back to get the 2nd ring, but I've begun to get a little concerned over his desire and/or the Bronco's desire to bring him back. What's the local talk?
    Good to hear from nearby Broncos fans! DC area here.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoFanBoy
    replied
    My friend listened to the radio and they were saying we should sit him out a few games so he can be fully healthy the entire year. No, not even close. Peyton gives us a better shot to win any game right now over Brock. I like his potential, but he is a question mark right now. You gotta win games to make the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• The Donkinator
    replied
    Honestly the local talk is all over the place. Some want Manning back at any cost because they believe the Broncos can not win w/o him. The other side of the argument is he is too old and can't make the plays to win anymore.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Much depends on how Kubiak and Dennison can develop the offensive strategy to maximize Manning's strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Can they rebuild the o-line and develop a reliable and efficient run game. Can Manning adjust to not running the no huddle audible offense he is used to running.

Why does Manning have to adjust to not running no-huddle, audible-based offense?

Leave a comment:

• XterraRob
    replied
    I respect and like him but if he doesn't mesh with the new Bronco offense, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him go.

Leave a comment:

• captainbronco
    replied
    I live in denver and like many have said its definitely split some want PfM back cause they believe we can't win without him and others say hes too old and washed up to make plays

Personally im on the fence if he came back great but if he didnt bring on the fresh meat just remember it took the broncos 14 some years to get to this point soooo yeah theres that
    Oh and if wanna listen to sports radio whether it pertains to denver sports or more broad then get the tunein radio app has a bunch of different sports talk radio if you dont really like 104.3
    Last edited by captainbronco; 02-13-2015, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dan
    replied
    I'm thinking he will be back for at least one more season, I for one am glad.

Leave a comment:

• champ&dreallday
    replied
    Does the local media hint at any inside info? Anyone heard any anonymous quotes?

Leave a comment:

• dizzolve
    replied
    Originally posted by sybrite View Post
    What part of MD are you in? I live in Manassas not too far from the beltway. I also listen to 106.7 The Fan, and it often gives me some good perspective on how good our team is. It just seems like a total circus for the Redskins most of the time. Have you tried the 104.3 App so you can stream the Denver sports radio station? I use it pretty often during football season, though it does tend to crash a lot.
    I use that app a lot. But it does crash all the time. It's terribly programmed or something

Leave a comment:

• one_bad_55
    replied
    Personally I want him to come back for as long as he can. If we can build a team around him and protect him he is better than 98% of the QB's in the league. Why would you not want him if he can play?

Broncos fans, myself included, have been spoiled the last 3 years. While I am critical of the team at certain points winning is never a bad thing. We can always revert back to the days of being a bad .500 team.

Leave a comment:

• MH Stampede
    replied
    Originally posted by sybrite View Post
    What part of MD are you in? I live in Manassas not too far from the beltway. I also listen to 106.7 The Fan, and it often gives me some good perspective on how good our team is. It just seems like a total circus for the Redskins most of the time. Have you tried the 104.3 App so you can stream the Denver sports radio station? I use it pretty often during football season, though it does tend to crash a lot.
    Lot of history in Manassas. Visited there years ago.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X