Manning to play 1 quarter and a half... smh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning to play 1 quarter and a half... smh

First off ladies and gents, let me say (as much as I don't want to admit) that the window is closing as far as us getting to the big dance and winning it all this time. You have a 39 year old, 1st ballot hall of fame quarterback on your team and you decide to play him for a quarter and a half in a meaningless preseason game with an inexperienced, young offensive line against a d line that features JJ Watt, Vince Wilfork, and Jadaveon Clowney. What in the world is Gary Kubiak and John Elway thinking about? Not to mention Ive heard that we are also playing other veteran difference making players for most of the first half as well, Am I the only one out here thinking this makes no sense at all? What is the purpose of risking injury in a preseason game that has no relevance? If any of you are keeping up with Hard Knocks with the Houston Texans there was a preview and the end of the last episode that showed JJ unleashing (twice)on our own number 18 in last seasons match up with these guys. Better decision making needs to be made here. If any of you can change my thinking Im definitely all ears.
    http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/w...equenceyh5.jpg

sigpic

a) Peyton did not get this far by taking hits and/or shying away from them. He knows to get rid of the ball early. While I know their DL is a good one, Watt and Wilfork are by no means cheap shot artists. If it was Suh, I'd be more worried, to be honest.

b) Don't believe everything the coaches say. It might just be a quarter for all the key starters in game 2 and a half in game 3 at best. However, I do think OL starters may play a half.

Comment

I thought he said just a quarter? Rather see Brock for another 2 quarters anyway

Comment

Settle down, I'm sure if things get too ugly for Peyton then Kubiak will pull the plug. Plus the fact that I don't think Clowney is even playing and the Texans probably don't want to risk Watt for very long as well. What does JJ Watt have to prove at this point? I think Wilfork is one guy who Manning might be able to beat in a foot race lol. I think we need to see what Manning's arm looks like against competition after how he faded down the stretch last season. Also, since this is a new offense It makes sense to give him some reps against another team's defense.

Comment

Radio reports suggest niether watt nir clowney will play

Comment

Really..... Didnt know both Watt and Clowney not playing.
            http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/w...equenceyh5.jpg

sigpic

Comment

It's a new offense with new players at TE and FB as well as a new OL. It's normal for the starting QB to play a quarter in the second preseason game after having played a series or two in the first. Manning didn't play in the first preseason game, so he'll get about a quarter Saturday night in Houston. He'll probably play a half against the Niners after having practiced against them during the week.

I hope the starting O-Line gets at least a half in each preseason game. Preseason games are controlled scrimmages under game-like conditions. They are valuable in preparing for the season opener because they offer situations and conditions not available through intra or inter-squad practice.

Kubiak and Dennison are well aware that the new O-Line is a work in progress, in terms of unit cohesion, that is improving with each game snap. There are plenty of things that can be done to assist them and give extra protection to Manning in the process. I'm sure those will be in evidence Saturday night.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Calm down. New offense new system new players. Why wouldn't you want to see how it all meshes
                sigpic

Comment

They need the reps against another NFL team. We don't want Peyton playing game 1 of the regular season with no chemistry with everyone (especially Matt Paradis).

I see where you're coming from though! JJ Watt is a scary guy.

Comment

Originally posted by KapitalKrow View Post
                    They need the reps against another NFL team. We don't want Peyton playing game 1 of the regular season with no chemistry with everyone (especially Matt Paradis).

I see where you're coming from though! JJ Watt is a scary guy.
                    JJ Watt and Clowney aren't playing.
                    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                      We know that now, but he didn't at the time he posted.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                        I wish they were playing give this young o-line the best competition out there...but as long they play at least a half n keep getting better is all we can hope for...

Comment

I still don't get the hype around Clowney, he was a good college player who was vaulted to "generational talent" based on one hit in a bowl game where he was unblocked on the play. He wasn't great in his junior season, and in the NFL he's accounted for 7 tackles in 4 games. Even if he was playing, I don't think he's earned anything to be worried about.

Vince Wilfork isn't a pass rusher, he's a 2 gap run stopper, not a huge threat to Manning.

JJ Watt would be scary (if he were playing) but at some point the o-line will face very good linemen in a game situation, it's best to see how they do protecting Manning sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                            I still don't get the hype around Clowney, he was a good college player who was vaulted to "generational talent" based on one hit in a bowl game where he was unblocked on the play. He wasn't great in his junior season, and in the NFL he's accounted for 7 tackles in 4 games. Even if he was playing, I don't think he's earned anything to be worried about.

Vince Wilfork isn't a pass rusher, he's a 2 gap run stopper, not a huge threat to Manning.

JJ Watt would be scary (if he were playing) but at some point the o-line will face very good linemen in a game situation, it's best to see how they do protecting Manning sooner rather than later.
                            If he had stayed healthy, Clowney would be a monster especially paired with Watt...you're really underrating him.

Idk if he'll ever be close to the same player he was, he looked slow in Hard Knocks but yeah if he hadn't been injured he was a beast

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                              If he had stayed healthy, Clowney would be a monster especially paired with Watt...you're really underrating him.

Idk if he'll ever be close to the same player he was, he looked slow in Hard Knocks but yeah if he hadn't been injured he was a beast
                              I just don't see it, he was a good college player, but he's not a generational talent. He's just another in the long line of overrated players from the SEC.

Comment

Working...
                              X