How You Became a Bronco Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How You Became a Bronco Fan

I had kind of a strange road to becoming a Bronco fan and wanted to tell my story and am curious to see how others landed here.

I grew up in the 60's near San Jose and became aware of football around 1968. The 1st game I remember watching was the Jets-Colts SB. Sometime around there I saw the Vikings on tv playing in a blizzard at good old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington Minnesota...when I heard the announcer call their defense, "The Purple People Eaters" that was it...I became a Vikings fan. I loved Fran Tarkenton, Ahmad Rashad, Chuck Foreman, etc but my favorite Viking was Alan Page (the only DT to ever be named league MVP). Over the next decade and a half I enjoyed many snow games, lots of rain games, watched the grounds crew roll flame throwers to thaw out the frozen Minn turf, and lived through 4 SB losses (I really thought we could have beaten the Steelers as we were only losing 2-0 at halftime and no team had lost 2 consecutive SB's before...oh well). When the Vikings moved to the Metrodome in 1982 I hated that dome but stayed loyal...but it couldn't last, football is meant to be played outside in the elements, not inside on a rug. By the end of 1983 I decided I just couldn't root for a team that plays in a dome and it was time to move on.

As the 1984 season began I decided it was time to find a new team. I was looking for a team with 3 characteristics.

1: They had to play outside at a natural grass stadium.
    2: They had to play in a city where it snows.
    3: They had to have colorful uniforms.

I narrowed it down to 3 teams...the Broncos, the Browns, and the Packers. As I was pondering my big decision September changed to October. I remember I was home sick on a Monday...laying around in bed all day I was excited to escape into Monday Night Football. At 6:00 I turned on MNF and was greeted with the sight that made my decision. A blizzard! It was the Bronco vs Packer game at Mile High on 10/15/84. Once I saw that falling snow I knew my decision had been made and I've been a Bronco fan ever since.

I think I'm really lucky because even though my fave team(s) are only 2-8 in the SB, I've had 10 seasons where my team made it to the big game

What's your story my fellow Bronco fans?
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

I've told this story a few times here. I was 7 years old and sat down to watch a game with my dad, for fun we decided that I would cheer for the team playing his and we would put a friendly wager on it. His favourite team was the Cleveland Browns and the game we sat down to watch was the day of the Drive. I became a Denver Broncos (John Elway) fan on that day and have never strayed from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      I've told this story a few times here. I was 7 years old and sat down to watch a game with my dad, for fun we decided that I would cheer for the team playing his and we would put a friendly wager on it. His favourite team was the Cleveland Browns and the game we sat down to watch was the day of the Drive. I became a Denver Broncos (John Elway) fan on that day and have never strayed from that.
      Similar story...It was a Monday night game, Redskins Broncos and I was five years old spending the night at my Uncle's house. He is a compulsive gambler and had money riding on the Redskins and me being the jackass I am(even at five years old) decided to root for the other team(Broncos). Elway ended up pulling one of his come from behind wins....and since then I have been a Broncos fan. Good old days.....besides Elway, I remember Bobby Humphrey being my favorite player.
      New England Patriots GM

Comment

Two words: John Elway. As a Denver native growing up in the 80s, the first game I remember well was the 1986 AFC Championship. I've been hooked ever since. I'm fortunate to be a fan of one of the most successful sports franchises of the last 30 years.

Comment

It's a funny story actually.. See, I was born! Then the rest, as they say, is history.

Comment

I was young. 6 years old. Or 5 . doesnt matter. I reamber the unvailing of the new uniforms. And god did i think they we're cool. I really wasnt into football at that time. Was to young to understand the game, and all that goes into it. But i reamber seeing Elway holding up the Trophey, with that new badd*** Logo we had just gotten, that year, or the year prior. Then my dad started asking me to play Madden with him ( 98' ) and EVERYSINGLE time, id pick Denver. He'd get mad and throw a fit cuzz id pick the best team on the game. Noneless i whooped him for with Denver untill the next madden would come out. And idk, Denver just kinda got stuck on me. I loved the colors. loved the emblem. Loved the style of play we had back in those days ( run the ball, punch you in the mouth on D ) So then it became a challenge, to beat my pops in Madden with Denver after they started falling off. History since then. Been a fan for 16 years now. Heres to another 16

But lets win a dang superbowl in these next 16. I wouldnt call myself a true fan, untill AFTER we won our last Bowl in 98 . So ima Superbowl win-less Bronco fan BEGGING for a dang ring. ( off topic, but we got robbed in 2012' )
            :goz::helmet::helmet::helmet::goz:

Comment

I don't have a long story like most do. Madden had just came out for the N64 was I believe Madden 2002, I was 10. Picked Denver at random because my cousin kept saying I can't win without picking Green Bay. So picked Denver liked the logo and uniform and started watching them. Been a Pack and Broncos fan since.(Pack since birth)
              sigpic
              Adopted Broncos:
              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I have also posted this before. My wife and I have been visiting the USA two or three times a year since 1997. We first visited San Francisco, Dallas and Boston. We loved it and kept coming back. Everywhere we went we received a good welcome and folk were interested in our Scottish accents and many folk had family originally from Scotland or indeed Ireland.

Anyway... We first visited Denver in 2008. We were 'general NFL fans' back then - loved the sport but didn't follow a particular team. We had done the stadium tours at the old Cowboys stadium, the pre-Katrina Louisiana Superdome, and had taken photos of some other stadiums in cities we had visited like Baltimore etc.

In 2008 on this first visit to Denver we went to see the Colorado sports museum and to tour Mile High. It was off-season and very quiet. There were only three people on the tour. Myself and my wife, and an American soldier - in desert fatigues and carrying a huge backpack. He was returning to his home in California from a tour of duty in Iraq, and had stopped off in Denver first just to tour the stadium. He was a Broncos fan, but life in the army meant he couldn't get to Denver easily at all. On hearing this, the tour guide told him the tour would be on the house, no charge, to thank him for his service. The tour guide also told us he would take us into places not normally on the tour and show us things not normally included - which he did.

The tour guide made the soldier feel like a million dollars and really made his day - and ours. He was funny and imformative too - he made a very good impression on us about the Broncos. Now, I know a tour guide should be good at PR for the organisation, but on other tours, some of them really weren't! We left with a very high regard for the Denver Broncos - and we adopted the Broncos as our team. We have stuck with them since that day. We went to see them at Wembley in 2010, have since visited Denver on vacation for the second time (and toured the stadium again!), and we are flying over in late November for our third visit to Denver, to see the Broncos play New England at Mile High.... Cannot wait!

We also received a very warm welcome from folk in Denver itself, and regard Denver as just about the friendliest and best city we have ever visited in all our years travelling in the USA.

It really does show that a good first impression counts. The Broncos and the city of Denver made a huge impression on us, and we love the city and the team.
                Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

Comment

Jeez, it is interesting to hear how folks started following the Orange and Blue. Cheers to many of you!

My start to becoming a fan was back in 1997-1998. My dad was in the military so we lived overseas in Korea and I went to the school on the Military Base. We would play football at lunch and all the kids had a favorite team. I had only lived in Oklahoma for a year and the rest being overseas in Germany, England, and Korea. There was obviously no local team so I hopped on the bandwagon of the team winning at the time. I loved the Orange and Blue; the contrast of the colors, the aggressiveness of the players, and never hopped off the bandwagon.

GO BRONCOS!
                  50 Stars and 13 Bars

Comment

As I have lived in different areas of the country I became a fan of the home team. My earliest fanhood was the Miami Dolphins. I became a Bronco fan in 2000 converting from being a Bears fan and a Falcons fan before that.

I have found in my travels that most people retain their original baseball fanhood with whatever team they grow up with, but change their football fanhood. For example, a lot of my wife's older relatives were Cardinal's fans from their days in Chicago-- yet they played decades in St. Louis.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                      As I have lived in different areas of the country I became a fan of the home team. My earliest fanhood was the Miami Dolphins. I became a Bronco fan in 2000 converting from being a Bears fan and a Falcons fan before that.

I have found in my travels that most people retain their original baseball fanhood with whatever team they grow up with, but change their football fanhood. For example, a lot of my wife's older relatives were Cardinal's fans from their days in Chicago-- yet they played decades in St. Louis.
                      Jesus, you sure have been around.
                      Adopted Poster
                      AZ Snake Fan

Comment

When I was 3 or 4, my uncle, who was 26 or so at the time, was working for IBM in Kingston, NY and he got transfer by IBM out to Longmont. Both sides of my family are from NY and were Giants fans, but when my uncle got transferred, he bought Broncos season tickets because he loved football and simply just wanted to go to games. After his first season of games, his love for the Broncos out grew and over took any previous love he had for the Giants I little bit less than 2 years after he was transferred, my mom and I were going to fly out there for a visit. My uncle told me if I wanted to come for the visit that I had become a Broncos fan. Of course my uncle was joking, but as a very young kid I had no clue it was a joke. His joke worked obviously
                        Denver Broncos
                        New York Yankees
                        New York Knicks
                        Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

Born in 81 and raised in Nederland, CO........I've bleed Orange and Blue since I was born.
                          sigpic
                          2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Comment

Moved here.
                            Can't help it
                            Wasn't my fault.

Comment

The Orange Crush Defense.

Grew up in L.A. in the 60s and 70s. Earliest vague memories are of the Fearsome Foursome. Then watched Hacksaw Reynolds and Jack Youngblood do their thing. It was a natural for me to also follow the Pittsburgh Steel Curtain and Denver Orange Crush teams.

As the Rams declined and eventually fans were betrayed by the Owner ( Yes, I still hold a grudge against Georgia Frontiere!) the Game of the Week was commonly out of Denver for years. I adopted them because I could not stand any of the California teams. I am a football junkie but the Broncos I followed ever since.

Moved to Denver about six years ago and I am still impressed by the passion and love for the Broncos. Still remember driving into town in August and hearing day long coverage from Broncos training camp. Quite a shock from what I had been used to. Knew immediately I was home.

Comment

Working...
                              X