Our New Offense - I'm Really Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our New Offense - I'm Really Confused

There is an article in the smack section that I can't post here due to several choice words in it. However, it raised a question and it's the same question I've been wondering myself.

The question was:

What purpose could it possibly serve to make a 39-year-old quarterback who can barely throw the ball learn a new offense when he has already demonstrated complete mastery of the old one?

I'm prefacing these questions with the statement that I'm absolutely not an X's and O's person. So, please bear with me because I really don't know how either offenses really work.

If this offense doesn't fit Manning, is what we are trying to do the right thing here? Are we trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? Are we trying to do something that isn't catering to Manning's strengths? It's obvious that the offense is struggling and not in rhythm. Is it because this offense is hard to implement and they just need more time? Or are we trying to do something that really isn't going to work?

What I have gathered is that we are doing this so we don't have to rely on Manning so much, especially because his arm strength has clearly declined, because we need a more balanced offense between run and pass, that this offense will carry us into the deep part of the season and will pay off especially when it’s cold, rainy, and through the windier months. But is this the right move?

I've read through comments in these threads and I've seen some of the same concerns as well. Some of those comments were:

1. My fear is the Broncos continue to struggle to score TDs because the "meshing" of the offenses is not working so far.

2. His inexperience in this new system is making him struggle. The timing just doesn't seem to be there.

3. At times even Peyton seems like he doesn’t know where to go with the ball. He isn’t comfortable yet and it will take time.

4. Why are we doing something that clearly doesn’t fit Manning’s style?

I’ve also read other comments such as:

1. But if Kubes caters to Manning and puts his program on the back burner until Brock then we essentially didn't really get better with the coaching change.

2. Hopefully it's not a sign of Kubiak changing his system to cater to Manning, because that would be worse imo.

3. It's still Manning heavy offense with some runs sprinkled in.

I don’t understand these comments. Why wouldn’t we want our QB, regardless of who he was, to be doing some of the things that he is comfortable doing? Wouldn’t we want our QB to be as successful as possible? If Kubes wants to design a system that fits some of the strengths of his players and that makes his players the most successful, why would we not want that? Why would we resent that? Or am I off base here?

Clearly this new offense seems to cater more to Brock’s skillset but Brock is not the starter, so what should our coaches do to get the best out of Manning and our starting offense? Help me out because I’m really confused.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

What purpose could it possibly serve to make a 39-year-old quarterback who can barely throw the ball learn a new offense when he has already demonstrated complete mastery of the old one?
    Because mastering the old one wasn't enough to take the team to a world championship. And, the older Manning gets the more he'll need to be carried himself.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
      Because mastering the old one wasn't enough to take the team to a world championship. And, the older Manning gets the more he'll need to be carried himself.
      Right. No matter what we were going to have to carry Manning this year. This offense puts the OL and RBs into better positions to succeed and more easily carry our geriatric QB.

Comment

The old system worked 2 years ago. Our stupid wr bubble screen 10 times a game and lame duck fades down the sidelines to soft Julius Thomas was figured out. Yes, i know all the blame goes to Gase for that kung fu treachery.
        What are we confused about? New coordinater, new offense, same round peg/square hole with PM. Kubes offense fits Osweiler plain and simple. He's a bit innacurate yes, but game footage don't lie. Brock is smooth in the offense and PM isn't. So now we are going to "mesh" to try and mask PM shortcummings in this offense. The longer the season goes the more we're going to see him revert back to last years crap fest. Just sayin.
        Dr. Giggles

Comment

I will reserve judgement until I see what they came up with. I'm not yet ready to toss the baby out with the bathwater. I just hope the bathwater is thrown out.

Comment

I think many of you have already decided that Manning will be hauled off to the nearest nursing home and Brock will trot onto the field and lead us to victory. Both are bad assumptions being that we have seen about 2.5 quarters of Manning and part of that was only running the hurry up per Kubiaks decision. We also saw Brock do well in a preseason game with little dump passes, but nothing close to accurate deep. I am just unsure he is the best choice for the future being that he hasn't progressed to where you would think he should be after 3 years and starting his 4th. I will also reserve my judgement until I see this offense really play in about 4 games and see how Kubiak constructs it. He is a wise guy and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us play a little old Denver Broncos offense against the Ravens as they are very aware of Kubiaks offensive ideas and we were very successful against the Ravens with that offense. I think what we will see is a coaching staff who adjusts when something isn't working and doesn';t just keep throwing up bubble screens over and over. When you have a staff who is prepared with a plan "B"players are too there is a confidence that allows everyone to play better - someone is ready and in charge and they have gone over all the "what ifs" that might come with each game and practiced them. I am sure this staff would be prepared for crowd noise at a super -bowl...or a playoff game, a regular season road game, even a home game. Won't that be a treat!

Comment

First, I totally reject the OP's premise, but to answer, you have to look at Kubiak and Elway's history.

Elway needed help to win the two Superbowls at the end of his career, after losing 3 Superbowls at the beginning of his career. Terrell Davis, and a running offense accomplished that for the Broncos.

It's only logical to think that if you actually believe that Manning can no longer throw the ball (after destroying every QB record in the history of the NFL 2 short years ago), that the Broncos change the offense, that clearly didn't get this team over the hump, to one that worked for Elway and Kubiak, before. It sure makes sense to me.

Is Manning finished? Notwithstanding the panic a few are expressing on this Board, the pre-season games aren't going to answer that. Lets see where we are after a few "real" games.
              Last edited by gtown53; 09-02-2015, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I also believe the best offense for Peyton is the offense he was running. However, If I was a Broncos fan, I would want to see the development of a running identity. We will run over you whether you like it or not. The thing is, Peyton has typically had passing identity offenses. Can he do that? I don't know.

Good thread broncoslover.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                  I will reserve judgement until I see what they came up with. I'm not yet ready to toss the baby out with the bathwater. I just hope the bathwater is thrown out.
                  Just to clarify....... my intention was to associate the bathwater with last year's unbalanced offense.

Comment

People forget Elways game evolved playing with a run first mentality

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                      People forget Elways game evolved playing with a run first mentality
                      Sure but Elway had an extreme force of an offensive line not to mention that he was still mobile enough to play under center and able to step into his throws.

Peyton is almost two years older than Elway was at the time and has had very little time to learn this offense. As Elway had atleast two years to learn it prior to Super Bowl XXXII.

Not trying at all to bash manning! I love the guy, I'm just saying that no matter how similar the situation the two men are soo completely different than one another.

The thought behind it is brilliant but could manning at this stage pull it off?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mora View Post
                        I also believe the best offense for Peyton is the offense he was running. However, If I was a Broncos fan, I would want to see the development of a running identity. We will run over you whether you like it or not. The thing is, Peyton has typically had passing identity offenses. Can he do that? I don't know.

Good thread broncoslover.
                        I think the type of offense that Manning has always had does not lend itself to many options running the ball. It is hard to run out of the shot gun and there is not much you can do to deceive the defense.

I am hoping we see a lot more of this mixed offense as the season rolls along. I think it will be good for both the Broncos and Manning.
                        sigpic
                        Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                        2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                        2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
                          Sure but Elway had an extreme force of an offensive line not to mention that he was still mobile enough to play under center and able to step into his throws.

Peyton is almost two years older than Elway was at the time and has had very little time to learn this offense. As Elway had atleast two years to learn it prior to Super Bowl XXXII.

Not trying at all to bash manning! I love the guy, I'm just saying that no matter how similar the situation the two men are soo completely different than one another.

The thought behind it is brilliant but could manning at this stage pull it off?
                          I hope so, but probably not.
                          Dr. Giggles

Comment

These threads always circulate in preseason.
                            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                              I think the type of offense that Manning has always had does not lend itself to many options running the ball. It is hard to run out of the shot gun and there is not much you can do to deceive the defense.
                              That makes sense. And that fact right there may be the reason for his playoff record. Good playoff teams typically can run the ball well.

Somehow you guys probably need to find a way to get the run game as good as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X