Thursday Night - Should Answer Some Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday Night - Should Answer Some Questions

Big game Thursday, in Arrowhead! I haven't checked but I believe KC will be favoured. Not a big stretch on my part. KC came off a good victory on the road, against a tough Houston D. Charles and Kelce were very productive, and it was surprising to see The Chiefs build up a good lead against JJ and company. And for our part, it was also a good win, though leaving most of us (yes, even many Peyton fans) with some questions. I am not sure what the split is between one or the other being the bigger concern, but the Oline was also a fan issue.

But lets remember the good stuff, which was highlighted by our fantastic D!!! Not to mention a game-saving play with little time on the clock. I am still excited about that finish, as tight as it got. It proved that our D can make big plays when it counts.....and that we can expect a very good, aggressive D unit, led by some outstanding LBs and Dbacks.

Back to KC for a minute. I watched chunks of that game, and as good as KC appeared to be, when Mallett replaced Hoyer (who was awful!!), Houston was a much better team. Sure, it may have been because it was come from behind football, but Mallett looked sharp for what I saw, and I truly believe Houston had a real shot of winning with Mallett starting that game. Hopkins went on a rampage (on my FF teams). Hoyer did little to make the game competitive.

So, KC should be favoured, and rightly so.....at home and after a good victory on the road. But they did not hold their lead very well, and were basically facing what appeared to be a backup QB for most of the game. I expect our D to continue to shine and make life miserable for Smith. And I also expect some real focus on Charles and Kelce. We can minimize their impact, although you can not expect to shut them down.

The questions remain, 1) will our Oline gel more and prove that they are on an upward trend of any kind? If so, expect better pass protection and a more balanced attack. That aspect of our O needs to improve. And if so, I say odds are much more in our favour on Thursday. Hopefully CJ will be healthy too.

Question 2 of course revolves around the field leader. Will Peyton look more like the Peyton we hope to see, or will he look slow and uncomfortable? Will his timing/accuracy be better? Naturally, some of this is attributable to those in front and behind him. He is not alone in this battle. If our Oline, Backs and Receivers aren't in sync and productive, it's not just on Peyton. On the other hand, and this is where much of the criticism seems to be coming, if Peyton looks a bit beaten, well then I too will be concerned more so than I am today. Just like our Oline, I need to see more of the tools that Manning has displayed in the past. Game 2 needs to look and feel better than game 1.

I may be an optimist, but I expect to see positive play from the entire O unit. I think we all need to see evidence that our D is not the only reason for hope. Just give us some encouragement.

As for those who aren't exactly in Peyton's corner, it's cool. You have that right. The one thing I do think about from time to time, especially this early in the season, be careful what you wish for. Not a threatening comment. Just one I have learned about over and over in my long life, and sometimes still have not grasped!

Go Broncos!!!

If Peyton Manning comes out and throws for zero TDs but completes 15 out of 30 for 100 yards and Denver wins, I'll be happy.

At that point I'll know that he can still throw the football and play!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
      If Peyton Manning comes out and throws for zero TDs but completes 15 out of 30 for 100 yards and Denver wins, I'll be happy.

At that point I'll know that he can still throw the football and play!
      50% completion and 100 yards? At 3 yards per attempt? I wouldn't call that still being able to throw the ball.. That would be worse than Sunday's outing!

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
        50% completion and 100 yards? At 3 yards per attempt? I wouldn't call that still being able to throw the ball.. That would be worse than Sunday's outing!
        Lol sorry I was being sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
          Lol sorry I was being sarcastic.
          Duly noted. I'm not well versed in text based sarcasm detection lol

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
            Duly noted. I'm not well versed in text based sarcasm detection lol
            You really got to work on that aspect of your game Papa-john

Comment

Elway in 1997 opened the season with no TDs, had 3 games with no TDs and multiple INTs and had games with 29.5, 37.2 and 41.6 QB rate. That was good enough for a Super Bowl title, including the SB itself where Elway threw for 123 yards with a 51.9 QB rate. Let's wait and see if Sunday's game will be a common theme for Manning this season or if there will be better days ahead. Not every game will look pretty for a QB with Manning's age.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                Elway in 1997 opened the season with no TDs, had 3 games with no TDs and multiple INTs and had games with 29.5, 37.2 and 41.6 QB rate. That was good enough for a Super Bowl title, including the SB itself where Elway threw for 123 yards with a 51.9 QB rate. Let's wait and see if Sunday's game will be a common theme for Manning this season or if there will be better days ahead. Not every game will look pretty for a QB with Manning's age.
                Now I was new to football around that time and never looked up the stats I had only been watching since 95 season but I had no idea Elway was that bad. At that time we were running over everybody lol and winning so maybe i didnt notice it much. I'm still a little bit young only 31 but thanks for that insight on Elway's numbers man.
                :go:

Comment

I think the Chiefs are favored by 3, which to me sounds reasonable.

If our offensive line plays better and Manning begins to find a rhythm with his receivers and our defense continues to play tough and tough we can win. There are still too many questions with our offense to be overly confident. I do expect a tough, defensive game.

Comment

As for KC they really hadn't changed much from last year. Although they are healthy now I don't see how we can't go in and handle buisness. They added Maclin well we have good corners coupled with a good front 7 so we should be able to get pressure on Alex especially against that line he has. Containing Charles and bumping Kelce off his routes should allow us to dictate KC and force Smith to beat us passing.

On the offense side of things we have to recognize those blitzes. I thought we missed/whiffed on a lot of free blitzers. KC doesn't have a slouch defense we will need to keep Manning upright. Sustain drives and open up that passing attack with the run. In a low scoring game I take our team. I think our magic number for the defense is 21-24 anything above that and I'll get concerned. Until the team gels more I doubt we can expect to put up 28-35 points in a game. I could be wrong.
                    :go:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      You really got to work on that aspect of your game Papa-john
                      Forgive me, years on here have desensitized me!

Papa-John lol. I like it

Comment

I don't think KC stands much of a chance. Their offense is worse than the Ravens. Their defense is better, but I think our running game will be more WCO based than Sunday and look more like the 4th quarter. I think we'll be fine.

17-3 Denver.

Comment

I think we will be tested as always at Arrowhead. It will be hard to sack Smith as he throws a lot of quick/short routes and has a good release so the secondary will have to be sharp and not allow much YAC. Also their running game will mean we have to tackle well and work hard with Charles. I believe we will see more blitzes because our o-line is so inexperienced and because Baltimore was successful with it. I don't see us scoring a ton of points yet, but winning is feasible. I don't care what the score is as long as we have one more point. It will be nice to have Ware back. I am hoping another receiver/tight end steps up so there is another target. After DT and Sanders we are kind of thin at this point and we do miss JT's pass catching abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            Big game Thursday, in Arrowhead! I haven't checked but I believe KC will be favoured. Not a big stretch on my part. KC came off a good victory on the road, against a tough Houston D. Charles and Kelce were very productive, and it was surprising to see The Chiefs build up a good lead against JJ and company. And for our part, it was also a good win, though leaving most of us (yes, even many Peyton fans) with some questions. I am not sure what the split is between one or the other being the bigger concern, but the Oline was also a fan issue.

But lets remember the good stuff, which was highlighted by our fantastic D!!! Not to mention a game-saving play with little time on the clock. I am still excited about that finish, as tight as it got. It proved that our D can make big plays when it counts.....and that we can expect a very good, aggressive D unit, led by some outstanding LBs and Dbacks.

Back to KC for a minute. I watched chunks of that game, and as good as KC appeared to be, when Mallett replaced Hoyer (who was awful!!), Houston was a much better team. Sure, it may have been because it was come from behind football, but Mallett looked sharp for what I saw, and I truly believe Houston had a real shot of winning with Mallett starting that game. Hopkins went on a rampage (on my FF teams). Hoyer did little to make the game competitive.

So, KC should be favoured, and rightly so.....at home and after a good victory on the road. But they did not hold their lead very well, and were basically facing what appeared to be a backup QB for most of the game. I expect our D to continue to shine and make life miserable for Smith. And I also expect some real focus on Charles and Kelce. We can minimize their impact, although you can not expect to shut them down.

The questions remain, 1) will our Oline gel more and prove that they are on an upward trend of any kind? If so, expect better pass protection and a more balanced attack. That aspect of our O needs to improve. And if so, I say odds are much more in our favour on Thursday. Hopefully CJ will be healthy too.

Question 2 of course revolves around the field leader. Will Peyton look more like the Peyton we hope to see, or will he look slow and uncomfortable? Will his timing/accuracy be better? Naturally, some of this is attributable to those in front and behind him. He is not alone in this battle. If our Oline, Backs and Receivers aren't in sync and productive, it's not just on Peyton. On the other hand, and this is where much of the criticism seems to be coming, if Peyton looks a bit beaten, well then I too will be concerned more so than I am today. Just like our Oline, I need to see more of the tools that Manning has displayed in the past. Game 2 needs to look and feel better than game 1.

I may be an optimist, but I expect to see positive play from the entire O unit. I think we all need to see evidence that our D is not the only reason for hope. Just give us some encouragement.

As for those who aren't exactly in Peyton's corner, it's cool. You have that right. The one thing I do think about from time to time, especially this early in the season, be careful what you wish for. Not a threatening comment. Just one I have learned about over and over in my long life, and sometimes still have not grasped!

Go Broncos!!!
                            1) NO, the OL doesn't have enough time between games to improve much as far as PP goes. I think KC looked a little weak against the run though so I think we should be able to run the ball fairly well.
                            2) probably not, again not much time to work on issues but Peyton does have a lot of success against the Chiefs.
                            Game 2, because of the short week likely will not look much better than game 1 offensively, just my opinion of course.
                            In my view I think the Chiefs defense is a little "overrated", I think we just saw a better D than what KC can offer especially against the run. I think we'll be able score more points but it might be mostly running the ball, but again Peyton plays fairly well against the Chiefs.

I think we still come out with a victory and questions that will take longer to answer than game 2.

Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 09-15-2015, 07:06 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoyearound View Post
                              Now I was new to football around that time and never looked up the stats I had only been watching since 95 season but I had no idea Elway was that bad. At that time we were running over everybody lol and winning so maybe i didnt notice it much. I'm still a little bit young only 31 but thanks for that insight on Elway's numbers man.
                              Lot of people were saying Elway was washed up in 97 and 98. That we were only winning because of TD. That stopped after his Super Bowl MVP performance and probably most forgot what was being said about Elway before that game. It probably got buried for good when we struggled after Elway retired.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                              X