Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how good can this defense be?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just how good can this defense be?

    I don't know if it's just me, but I think this defense has the potential to be all time great, as in 70's Steelers, 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens type of great. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but these guys are fast and dangerous to the point of attack. Yes, it's a very long season ahead, with only 2 games in, but I can't help but to feel so elated about the potential that this Wade Phillips led unit, has to bring to the table. What are your thoughts?

  • #2
    Yes this defense could potentially be one of the greats still have lot to prove only week 2. I hate Seahawks but 13 squid ranks pretty high up there as one of best defensive teams in history best secondary I've ever seen play in my lifetime amazing depth on all positions that team was loaded. 2002 Bucs were great too.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't believe we'll ever see a defense as dominant as some of the defenses you mentioned, due to the way the league is set up now. Scoring is sexy and that's what the league wants -- plenty of points on the board. But I'm with you about the potential of this defense. It's only been two games, but these guys are ballers and it looks like Wade Phillips has a system that suits this unit. I'm pumped to see what's to come.

      Comment


      • #4
        Denver's D is a one-gap, penetrating, pursuit, mostly Cover 1. It is very important for them to stop/inhibit the run because they want opponents to throw against their blitzing pass rush and stingy secondary. They need to fix the performance vs. the run they had at KC.

        All Denver's Outside Backers are great pass rushers and they get pressure from other positions as well. This defense has quality depth and will be able to rest players who need it and not miss a beat.

        Sacks, turnovers, interceptions and forced fumble recoveries are just milestones along the way to the only stat that matters: points allowed. Denver's D allowed six points against Baltimore and seventeen against KC. They have added scores of their own in the first two games. I think they can improve. :thumb:
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

        Comment


        • #5
          To be honest and not to take away from our D which has been tremendous so far. I want to see them go against elite qbs. We have to play Luck Big Ben Rodgers and Brady all of whom possess great offenses. We won't shut them out I know that but if they can keep the offense in it that would be all I need to know.

          Good thing is all of those games are after the bye week which will give the offense a lot of time to figure out their identity. Lions Vikings Oak Cleveland in that order. Not to much firepower that the d can't contain however the Manziel factor always leaves unpredictability.
          Last edited by Broncoyearound; 09-21-2015, 03:20 PM.
          :go:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            Denver's D is a one-gap, penetrating, pursuit, mostly Cover 1. It is very important for them to stop/inhibit the run because they want opponents to throw against their blitzing pass rush and stingy secondary. They need to fix the performance vs. the run they had at KC.

            All Denver's Outside Backers are great pass rushers and they get pressure from other positions as well. This defense has quality depth and will be able to rest players who need it and not miss a beat.

            Sacks, turnovers, interceptions and forced fumble recoveries are just milestones along the way to the only stat that matters: points allowed. Denver's D allowed six points against Baltimore and seventeen against KC. They have added scores of their own in the first two games. I think they can improve. :thumb:
            In other words... The D has allowed a net total of 9 points, when you subtract the points that they are responsible for putting on the board... Pretty darn impressive, I'd say...
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

            sigpic
            Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

            Comment


            • #7
              It should be a fun season to say the least.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Broncoyearound View Post
                To be honest and not to take away from our D which has been tremendous so far. I want to see them go against elite qbs. We have to play Luck Big Ben Rodgers and Brady all of whom possess great offenses. We won't shut them out I know that but if they can keep the offense in it that would be all I need to know.

                Good thing is all of those games are after the bye week which will give the offense a lot of time to figure out their identity. Lions Vikings Oak Cleveland in that order. Not to much firepower that the d can't contain however the Manziel factor always leaves unpredictability.
                Minnesota, Oakland, and Cleveland all seem like wild cards. They have played scrappy, sneaky good football. Pittsburgh and New England have put up big numbers, but they have also given up big numbers. They haven't played an elite defense yet. I mean, Buffalo could be considered an elite defense, but their own offense is so bad and turnover happy that the Patriots got the ball back 100 times.

                Green Bay is pretty legit, but they had a lot of help from the officials in hanging on against Seattle - who has not looked like Seattle thus far. Rodgers is Rodgers, but no QB is unstoppable. If Denver can avoid jumping to his hard count, and takes Lacy away, he'll have to play honest and safe.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Denver D still has room for improvement, in particular the middle of the line. Great defense so far and so much more room to grow, and Ray has barely been used

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This defense is only scratching the surface of their potential. They need to cut down on some of the penalties. One of KC's drives was aided by 30 yards two unsportsmanlike calls. They also need to shore up the run defense, which is key to the effectiveness of this unit. This Defense has plenty of season ahead of them to hone out everything. So far they have been amazing for only the first two games. Most teams would be happy with our present defense going into the postseason, and we still have 14 games left to practice before the real games begin. I am excited about where this defense can rank among the greats when all's said and done. Of Course the only stat that matters is a World Championship. All the stats are meaningless if it don't produce in the end. Our Offense can help the defense a lot more if they can get the run game going. It is up to the offense to limit how much our defense has to be on the field.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The D has played very well so far. Anunike is just about ready to get on the field too and Wolfe should help out on the interior DL ... very good chance that the Broncos get even better on D come 5th,6th games.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Krush View Post
                        I don't know if it's just me, but I think this defense has the potential to be all time great, as in 70's Steelers, 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens type of great. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but these guys are fast and dangerous to the point of attack. Yes, it's a very long season ahead, with only 2 games in, but I can't help but to feel so elated about the potential that this Wade Phillips led unit, has to bring to the table. What are your thoughts?

                        should be even better when Wolf comes back, he will help with the run D and allow the OLBs more "smack" time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think when we get Wolfe back we will improve against the run.

                          IMO we have the talent to be a real good defense.

                          How we deal with the Megatron, Gronk type players and their team will determine if we are just good or historically great.

                          I watched NE against Buff and I can tell u the dominant OLB rush is not going to be good enough against them. They are excellent at using WRs and TEs to help block the edge if needed.

                          Not sure what Wade feels we can do but if we want pressure to get to Brady we best cover his targets tight to to give our pressure time to get there. Or have some kind of other plan. It would be awesome if we could scheme a way to keep Gronk in as a blocker.

                          Historically great defenses regularly played games like ours did against Balt. We have the ability we just need the right schemes and execution
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Skys the limit on this D...But we really aren't going to know how good they are until they get an actual test. When they play an explosive O then we will know. But 1 or 2 injuries will derail this really quick as well. So talent is only part of it. We also need a lot of luck staying healthy
                            Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              And just picture how crazy it will be once Shane Ray starts coming into his own.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X