The O Line today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
    I think they played really well yesterday. The sack at the one when manning crumbled, I think that's 50% line 25% manning 25% coverage. Manning did the smart thing and just fell to the deck. I know that annoys people but that's what I want from Manning, he is no longer a playmaker in this league, he needs to limit his negative plays.

The reason I give 25% to Manning is because I thought the pressure up the middle was obvious to the eye and in that situation.
    I can't really fault Manning on that sack, he did what he had to do, he was getting hit if he didn't so it works.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      The o-line was a lot better today, the run game will improve with more Hillman and less Anderson. There were cut back lanes last week that Anderson missed, same thing today, Hillman is seeing those and getting yards. I almost feel bad for Harris, with Sambrailo getting injured, Harris is the one who's going to end up losing his job.
      I agree about CJ missing opportunities. There were at least 2 plays he could have taken advantage of, and showed little speed/explosiveness. Good backs take care of business, and I wonder if he is hurting. Because truthfully, if not, he does not look like a starter.....maybe worse. Hillman had one great run, which was mostly due to the Oline. I still don't see him as our starter. He is streaky and does not have enough power or elusiveness.

So good on the Oline for what they did yesterday. Some nice holes. Still need work and health, but good effort!

Get Forte!!!

Comment

Sam, what is your take on us still having trouble with picking up the blitz? Particularly up the middle. Do you believe it's just communication, or something that is an easy fix?
        Double a gap pressure is very hard to pick up especially for an inexperienced oline with little cohesion. There's going to be a free rusher if both come, the RB will have to pick one up and be on the same page with Paradis and Manning on who is blocking who.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
          The OL blocked much better today. It was easier to evaluate the RBs individually because the holes were there. The OTs played surprisingly well considering the situation. Schofield exceeded expectations. Harris managed the blindside and made a great block to help Hillman's long run.

Unfortunately, it became obvious that C.J. Anderson is part of the problem in the running game. He had multiple opportunities to make good runs but lacked burst and did not make people miss. Hillman is seeing the holes better, hitting them faster and making quick cuts to get something when the blocks are not good enough.

We also had OL issues last season, but Anderson made things happen with vision, jump cuts, balance and broken tackles. I'm not seeing the same fire from him this season.
          We did have OL issues last season but we were running a different system then. That was also a system which we practiced all of last season. I'd argue that this season we almost have 2.5 offensive systems in place now. It is a lot to digest. Before we go touting Hillman as our saving grace he had a few poor runs as well. I will agree that he ran the ball better last game than CJ did but it was not by a HUGE margin.

Sam, what is your take on us still having trouble with picking up the blitz? Particularly up the middle. Do you believe it's just communication, or something that is an easy fix?
          Personally I think it is a combination of cohesion and experience. PAradis was the guy targeted on that play and this is his 1st season starting. On top of that Mathis is struggling beside him so he is trying to push his guy into Mathis's as a means of helping. I think that is why CJ is struggling a bit. I bet the playbook has him running between the LG & Center on many of those plays. Instead when Paradis moves his guy left it takes away CJ's running lane (or what he thought would be his running lane) then on the next play CJ moves to run up the gut and the play develops instead they way it should have. I still see this as an issue of Oline & RB vision. Now there were a few issues I personally had with our Oline this past game. WHERE the heck was the blocking when CJ was in. I felt like I was watching two different teams. There was more than one play where CJ was met in the backfield by multiple Viking players. Most of them were leaking between the gap between Vasquez and Paradis.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
            We did have OL issues last season but we were running a different system then. That was also a system which we practiced all of last season. I'd argue that this season we almost have 2.5 offensive systems in place now. It is a lot to digest. Before we go touting Hillman as our saving grace he had a few poor runs as well. I will agree that he ran the ball better last game than CJ did but it was not by a HUGE margin.

Personally I think it is a combination of cohesion and experience. PAradis was the guy targeted on that play and this is his 1st season starting. On top of that Mathis is struggling beside him so he is trying to push his guy into Mathis's as a means of helping. I think that is why CJ is struggling a bit. I bet the playbook has him running between the LG & Center on many of those plays. Instead when Paradis moves his guy left it takes away CJ's running lane (or what he thought would be his running lane) then on the next play CJ moves to run up the gut and the play develops instead they way it should have. I still see this as an issue of Oline & RB vision. Now there were a few issues I personally had with our Oline this past game. WHERE the heck was the blocking when CJ was in. I felt like I was watching two different teams. There was more than one play where CJ was met in the backfield by multiple Viking players. Most of them were leaking between the gap between Vasquez and Paradis.
            If those were zone steps, it's up to the line to make a hole and CJ to find it, where ever it opens up. Lately he just looks indecisive and just dives through to the ground.

He had some nice runs yesterday, nothing great or flashy, but something I hope that will increase his confidence going forward.

Comment

Delayed Backer blitzes are hard for O-Linemen to pick up because they are already engaged. Manning's lack of mobility makes it extra hard. Double A Gap blitzes usually happen in 3rd & long and from Empty or Single Back/Gun, and are difficult.

When scouting, all blitz packages are studied and blitz pickup is practiced from each formation and personnel package. Denver uses a lot of formations and personnel packages. It's complicated and communication is vital.

It looks to me like Blitz pickup is improving, and I think that's because chemistry, cohesion and communication are improving. Blitz pickup is never perfect for any team; you just want to have a better than 50% success rate.

Some teams blitz so much, e.g., the Broncos, that teams game plan around formations and personnel packages to deal with that. I'm sure Denver's opponents are planning to do that.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                Delayed Backer blitzes are hard for O-Linemen to pick up because they are already engaged. Manning's lack of mobility makes it extra hard. Double A Gap blitzes usually happen in 3rd & long and from Empty or Single Back/Gun, and are difficult.

When scouting, all blitz packages are studied and blitz pickup is practiced from each formation and personnel package. Denver uses a lot of formations and personnel packages. It's complicated and communication is vital.

It looks to me like Blitz pickup is improving, and I think that's because chemistry, cohesion and communication are improving. Blitz pickup is never perfect for any team; you just want to have a better than 50% success rate.

Some teams blitz so much, e.g., the Broncos, that teams game plan around formations and personnel packages to deal with that. I'm sure Denver's opponents are planning to do that.
                And along with that, I don't know if it's timing or just bad awareness, but Manning is holding the ball a little longer than past years. So those delayed blitzes are getting home much more than they used to. They didn't used to get past the lineman and get close, but now the pressure is getting there easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                  And along with that, I don't know if it's timing or just bad awareness, but Manning is holding the ball a little longer than past years. So those delayed blitzes are getting home much more than they used to. They didn't used to get past the lineman and get close, but now the pressure is getting there easier.
                  Manning has been sacked ten times. He was sacked twice yesterday; once at Detroit; three times at KC; and, four times by Baltimore. Things seem to be improving.

The current situation reminds me of Red Miller and Craig Morton in 1977. Red told Craig to take a sack instead of throwing a pick. Maybe Manning should, too.

Osweiler is being prepped to step in and his backup is already on the roster. Manning's lack of mobility puts him at the mercy of blitzers. We'll see how it goes.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Schofield should be the starting RT over Harris. Schofield actually was able to get some movement in the run game.
                    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                      Schofield should be the starting RT over Harris. Schofield actually was able to get some movement in the run game.
                      I was stoked to see him step up yesterday, he was hungry and go a chance I hope if Harris has to play LT again vs Oakland this week he steps up his game knowing he may not have a job when Sambraillo gets back. Competition at their own position motivates players.
                      sigpic

Comment

This I can agree with. Before I can completely agree though I need to see how well he does against a speed guy on the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                          This I can agree with. Before I can completely agree though I need to see how well he does against a speed guy on the edge.
                          He blocked Barr several times yesterday.
                          A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

He blocked Barr several times yesterday.
                            True and I think that is a great start. For me though I'd like to see him go up against the Raiders defense.
                            Mack, Smith, Tuck these guys are good- better than the Vikings IMO. I am confident that Schofield can handle it but I'd like to see one more SOLID game - personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                              I can't really fault Manning on that sack, he did what he had to do, he was getting hit if he didn't so it works.
                              That's about how I feel about it, but we have been getting hammered on that kind of blitz. With Manning at QB I want to see him get us into the right play and manage the game.

I feel like defenses are playing him differently because of his diminished skill set and he is having a difficult time adjusting both mentally and physically. That's not really meant to be a knock on the guy as it is understandable, but I think he needs to come to terms with father time and change his attitude in regards to his role on this team.

I do see the improvement to the offense week by week and I believe Manning can get that 2nd Superbowl if he can adjust and be a game manager and hopefully deliver in the clutch when we need him. This is a defensive team now and the offense needs to help them and not make their job more difficult.
                              Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Thanks Sam, hopefully the growing pains will start to settle down.
                                Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Working...
                                X