Available Plug-N-Play running backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Available Plug-N-Play running backs

To get the running game going, we need to make an acquisition, and given that we don't have time to develop someone, we need a plug-n-play running back. But who is out there worth trading for?

I think Alfred Morris is the guy we need. He is on the outs with Washington and has the pedigree to quickly play effectively and sustain drives and carry the load for our system.

Drafted by Mike Shanahan (sixth round), he quickly excelled as a ZBS back, making good inside/outside decisions. And he is very good at getting yards after contact. Considering our flaws, those two skills are precisely what we need. He is in his contract year, relegated to third on the depth chart, and Washington is going to let him walk.

So Elway, make a call to Washington GM Scott McCloughan, feel out the price. At $600k this year, McCloughan can afford to wait for the right offer. So I imagine it might cost a 4th rounder or more. Steep price for a potential short-stay player, but we have immediate needs with a ticking clock.

Who else is out there?

No RB is going to have success against consistently stacked boxes. 8-9 men crowding the LOS because they don't fear Manning is goin to ruin any run game.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
      No RB is going to have success against consistently stacked boxes. 8-9 men crowding the LOS because they don't fear Manning is goin to ruin any run game.
      This, our backs are not the problem. Though CJ may be made of glass.

Every game thus far teams have been blitzing nonstop. They don't fear our offense. They'll allow Manning to pad his yardage stats but not all scores and feed off his ducks.
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Jamaal Charles has (or had) a lot of success even though it's known that Smith is by far the shortest distance passer in the game

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
          This, our backs are not the problem. Though CJ may be made of glass.

Every game thus far teams have been blitzing nonstop. They don't fear our offense. They'll allow Manning to pad his yardage stats but not all scores and feed off his ducks.
          It's pretty incredible the excuses people will come up with to ignore the fact that Peyton has made every throw down the field needed to show that he can make big throws down the field. We've moved the ball well down the field, and against all sorts of defensive looks. There's just been some big problems in the red zone. There's been plenty of deep ball, too. Sorry, but when it's 1st and 4 on the goal line, you need to be able to run. When it's 4th and 1, you should be able to run.

The anti-Manning propaganda has been shown consistently wrong over and over. Repeating junk won't make it more correct.

That teams are just stacking everyone close because there's no passing game is empirically wrong. It's just not an opinion. Please watch the games. Speculating that the non-existent run game, even when some holes are there, would magically open up because everyone would back off in fear of an unproven passer is fantasy land. It's really incredible...

Comment

Originally posted by UnitedInOrange View Post
            Jamaal Charles has (or had) a lot of success even though it's known that Smith is by far the shortest distance passer in the game
            But the difference is, 1 he can move, 2 if you leave a guy open 50 yards downfield he can PHYSICALLY get the ball down to him...and 3...his short-mid throws get to the targets quickly....all of this does not apply to geriatrics

Comment

No, he hardly targets wideouts. We (correctly) stacked the box against Charles and left our corners on islands. He still got his despite this.

Comment

Originally posted by cmc0605 View Post
                It's pretty incredible the excuses people will come up with to ignore the fact that Peyton has made every throw down the field needed to show that he can make big throws down the field. We've moved the ball well down the field, and against all sorts of defensive looks. There's just been some big problems in the red zone. There's been plenty of deep ball, too. Sorry, but when it's 1st and 4 on the goal line, you need to be able to run. When it's 4th and 1, you should be able to run.

The anti-Manning propaganda has been shown consistently wrong over and over. Repeating junk won't make it more correct.

That teams are just stacking everyone close because there's no passing game is empirically wrong. It's just not an opinion. Please watch the games. Speculating that the non-existent run game, even when some holes are there, would magically open up because everyone would back off in fear of an unproven passer is fantasy land. It's really incredible...
                Dude we have not moved the ball down the field well at all. All of his down the field passes have been off target. The velocity is no longer there.

I don't understand how you guys keep lying to yourselves and making excuses.

Yes Manning has the brains, yes he can throw somewhat far but the accuracy and the velocity is not there meaning the timing is going to be off.

The sooner you realize that the better off you'll be.

Also the longer you guys make excuses the longer our defense has to suffer by getting very little rest and possibly risking injury.

Stop going to bat for Manning just because you feel like it's the right thing to do and start thinking about the rest of the team, mainly the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
                  Dude we have not moved the ball down the field well at all. All of his down the field passes have been off target. The velocity is no longer there.

I don't understand how you guys keep lying to yourselves and making excuses.

Yes Manning has the brains, yes he can throw somewhat far but the accuracy and the velocity is not there meaning the timing is going to be off.

The sooner you realize that the better off you'll be.
                  Except no one serious believes this, probably because they've seen him move the ball well and they've seen many, many on-target passes. They've seen games of over 200 and 30 yards. I mean, literally, this stuff has been recorded and is on tape. It's the year 2015. We can see deep balls. We can see why interceptions have happened. The velocity argument is demonstrably wrong. We even have press conferences where coaches tell you some major issues going wrong.

Velocity is just a talking point being spoonfed to you. It doesn't pass the eye test. No one serious acknowledges it anymore as the key limitation. It's outdated.

#cantmakethisstuffup
                  Last edited by cmc0605; 10-12-2015, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Just made a thread on this. I dont blame the RBs I think we need a real FB and stop using TEs as a FB

Comment

How can you blame a RB when they are consistently met by defenders 3-yards behind the line of scrimmage?

When the line does its job, the backs make nice gains. Their YPC is horrible because they are dodging defenders almost as soon as Manning hands them the ball.

The O-line is paper.
                      sigpic

Comment

Except no one serious believes this, probably because they've seen him move the ball well and they've seen many, many on-target passes. They've seen games of over 200 and 30 yards. I mean, literally, this stuff has been recorded and is on tape. It's the year 2015. We can see deep balls. We can see why interceptions have happened. The velocity argument is demonstrably wrong. We even have press conferences where coaches tell you some major issues going wrong.

Velocity is just a talking point being spoonfed to you. It doesn't pass the eye test. No one serious acknowledges it anymore as the key limitation. It's outdated.

#cantmakethisstuffup
                        Which Quarterback are you watching on Sundays?

Yes this is 2015 and everyone can clearly see over thrown passes, passes going to the ground, WRs having to adjust to make a catch while putting themselves at serious risk. Yet im making this stuff up.

You can sit there all you want and try to sell snake oil but everyone can clearly see that the arm strength, accuracy and velocity isn't there anymore.

You say velocity doesn't matter when then he'll lets go get Tebow and bring him back in here, he completed some passes for big gains.

Comment

you correct - in part. Our O-line has shown that it cannot bully defensive lines and run the ball well. As a result we are seeing stacked boxes and blitzes. This is making us overly one-dimensional. While Manning has shown he is capable of still launching it down-field he has also shown non-characteristically inaccurate throws. Like it or not - facts are facts. I will say he is improving game over game but he is still not where he was 1-2 years ago.

There are a few other issues which are not poor play just the realities of an aging body in the NFL. Throws which Manning used to be able to throw quickly right up the middle he cannot throw fast enough for them not to be batted down or intercepted. So while this is not "poo play" is it is a limitation and allows for defenders to play us differently as a result.

I still fee Manning is good enough for us to win but we cannot keep on limiting our options beyond this year - IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick44 View Post
                            Just made a thread on this. I dont blame the RBs I think we need a real FB and stop using TEs as a FB
                            I agree with the comment up until the point where you said to stop using TE's as FB's. I really liked JJD he was a great TE/FB option IMO. I also think that the versatility is important as well as the size miss-match. TE's are usually taller and can be larger. I think that is a good thing from a flexibility of play perspective.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Passes getting batted down aren't a velocity problem. Ever since the surgery the ball has come out of Mannings hand differently. I think it's coming out of his hand later than usual so a good number of his throws have the ball coming down at an angle which is why we see batted passes and routes he normally hits end up falling short. His trajectory isn't consistent which has more to do with his surgery than actual arm strength IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X