Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verno Davis immediately feeling difference between San fran and Denver.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
    The problem is do we have the plays in place to use him like we used JT. That is the big question.
    You mean routes? A big one for JT was Seam. If KC runs some Cover 2, that might work. A classic TE route is Drag.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      You mean routes? A big one for JT was Seam. If KC runs some Cover 2, that might work. A classic TE route is Drag.
      The biggest thing is forcing the defense to either cover him with a LB and taking advantage or for them to take that LB out of the game and use a DB, thus helping the run game.

Right now OD or VG do not command this respect.

Comment

I think VD is a much better blocker than JT with about equal hands, and is slightly more athletic. I love the potential of him in our offense.

Comment

Davis is going to add another dimension to the offense and I am excited to see it. He is another weapon and won't allow defenses to focus to DT and Sanders so this is a great thing that will make us more dangerous and help us in the red zone. Can't wait to see the O play on Sunday and see how much he is utilized.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
            yesterday Alfred Williams made the comment that playing in San Francisco with quarterbacks such as Colin Kaepernick and Alex Smith, may have cost Vernon Davis a Hall of Fame career.

At age 31 now playing in Denver for half a season with Peyton Manning, under Gary Kubiak and who knows how many more years with whatever QB, does he have a chance to resurrect his career to a high enough level to make him Hall of Fame worthy?
            Playing with manning will probably hurt his stats. However, if we re-sign him a capable TE is a young QB's best friend so his numbers should spike with the next guy.

Comment

Are you kidding? Playing with Manning will be 1000% better than Kapernick and the inept 49er offense, A tight end that can catch and block and has speed is going to compliment any q-back that knows how to get him the ball and Manning almost connected with him last week - except for the non call on the PI against the Colts.

Comment

Originally posted by trc1962 View Post
                Are you kidding? Playing with Manning will be 1000% better than Kapernick and the inept 49er offense, A tight end that can catch and block and has speed is going to compliment any q-back that knows how to get him the ball and Manning almost connected with him last week - except for the non call on the PI against the Colts.
                Except Manning hasn't really outplayed Kaepernick this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                  Playing with manning will probably hurt his stats.
                  Just like it hurt JT to the tune of a multimillion dollar contract.. How many players' stats has Kap impacted excluding those who chose retirement over playing with him.

I'm sure VD is happy not for what is, but what this offense can be. With Kap he'd seen what all it could be and he wanted out.
                  Last edited by River Side; 11-13-2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Playing with manning will probably hurt his stats. However, if we re-sign him a capable TE is a young QB's best friend so his numbers should spike with the next guy.
                    Playing with Tim Tebow would help his stats. That's how bad of a QB he had before. Playing with Manning even a shell of his former Manning self is better than Kaep. Davis will see his career rejuvenated here.
                    sigpic

Comment

Except Manning hasn't really outplayed Kaepernick this year.
                      Manning has struggled since JT got injured... The two almost directly correspond. Davis really could be the key component Manning has been missing that puts this offense back on track. Let's give it a little time to see how it works out. There literally isn't anything else we could be doing (Because Brock won't start...the end...) So let's just hope and pray that he's what we have been missing instead of automatically writing it off.

JT was injured in St Louis, we sucked most of the rest of the season. Manning hasn't had a solid pass catching TE since then.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                        Manning has struggled since JT got injured... The two almost directly correspond. Davis really could be the key component Manning has been missing that puts this offense back on track. Let's give it a little time to see how it works out. There literally isn't anything else we could be doing (Because Brock won't start...the end...) So let's just hope and pray that he's what we have been missing instead of automatically writing it off.

JT was injured in St Louis, we sucked most of the rest of the season. Manning hasn't had a solid pass catching TE since then.
                        As good as JT could be at times this is what was so disappointing about him.
                        We could never trust the guy to stay healthy, just like Clady.

But anyway what is VDs injury history if anybody knows? Forgive my ignorance I just haven't really followed his career in San Fran to know.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                          Sorry I wasn't very clear in my comment. I was just basically saying that our Red Zone offense has been completely different this year and we are converting at probably half the rate from previous years. I have to assume it is because of the plays/routes we are running in the red zone are completely different from when we used JT because , well, we have the speedy athletic Owen Daniels instead.

Do I think we can install some plays for Davis, I SURE HOPE SO or it was a waste of a trade. Kubiak and Manning will figure out how to use Davis in this offense. I hope to see more 2-3 TE sets which will make it a nightmare for the defenses. Davis is big enough and athletic enough to be put out wide and create some major mismatches in coverage just like JT did when he was here.

I am looking forward to see Davis get really involved in the offense. I hope he has put his big brain cap on and really hit the playbook hard so he can just go out there and play some good football. Sometimes when you learn a new system you overthink every play and it slows down your reactions and takes a little while to get comfortable so you can just play the game. Hope he gets comfortable soon.
                          sigpic
                          Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                          2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                          2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
                            As good as JT could be at times this is what was so disappointing about him.
                            We could never trust the guy to stay healthy, just like Clady.

But anyway what is VDs injury history if anybody knows? Forgive my ignorance I just haven't really followed his career in San Fran to know.
                            My problem with JT isn't that he got hurt, all players get hurt. My problem was that if he wasn't 100% healthy he wouldn't play. I played football with a broken wrist because I LOVED THE GAME and wanted to be in there and contribute to the team.

JT never had that desire or love for the game and all he wanted was SHOW ME THE MONEY attitude which pissed me off. I think he was a cancer in our locker room with his attitude and I am personally glad he is gone. Do I miss his athletic abilities, sure, but they will never outweigh the negatives he brought to this team. GOOD BYE, GOOD RIDDANCE!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                              Sorry I wasn't very clear in my comment. I was just basically saying that our Red Zone offense has been completely different this year and we are converting at probably half the rate from previous years. I have to assume it is because of the plays/routes we are running in the red zone are completely different from when we used JT because , well, we have the speedy athletic Owen Daniels instead.

Do I think we can install some plays for Davis, I SURE HOPE SO or it was a waste of a trade. Kubiak and Manning will figure out how to use Davis in this offense. I hope to see more 2-3 TE sets which will make it a nightmare for the defenses. Davis is big enough and athletic enough to be put out wide and create some major mismatches in coverage just like JT did when he was here.

I am looking forward to see Davis get really involved in the offense. I hope he has put his big brain cap on and really hit the playbook hard so he can just go out there and play some good football. Sometimes when you learn a new system you overthink every play and it slows down your reactions and takes a little while to get comfortable so you can just play the game. Hope he gets comfortable soon.
                              Interesting that you say that. In his presser, that's exactly what he said. He mentioned that he does plan to hit the playbook so that he can get to the point, and quickly I might add, so that he isn't overthinking things and just play. I don't know if any of you folks have listened to any of his pressers but there is something that I really like about him.

I don't know what the word is that I would use, but he has this honest depth about him that I love. He seems extremely intelligent and speaks with a quality that demonstrates that he's a deep thinker and isn't afraid to be honest but his directness and honesty isn't said in a way that tears people down. I don't know, I'm rambling, but this guy is awesome.
                              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                                Interesting that you say that. In his presser, that's exactly what he said. He mentioned that he does plan to hit the playbook so that he can get to the point, and quickly I might add, so that he isn't overthinking things and just play. I don't know if any of you folks have listened to any of his pressers but there is something that I really like about him.

I don't know what the word is that I would use, but he has this honest depth about him that I love. He seems extremely intelligent and speaks with a quality that demonstrates that he's a deep thinker and isn't afraid to be honest but his directness and honesty isn't said in a way that tears people down. I don't know, I'm rambling, but this guy is awesome.
                                You can tell in his press conferences that he is nervous and this is whole thing has been a little overwhelming. He has been in one place his entire career and this has got to be a shell shock to his system. It will take a while before he is really comfortable but hopefully he gets the playbook down faster than being used to being at the Broncos facilities and knowing how the whole organization is run.

He will be a great addition to the team once he gets the play book down and is comfortable with what Manning wants him to do. Until then he will be overthinking and playing a little slower than normal which will come in time.

I remember JT going through the time span where Manning would get on him about turning into coverage instead of away and Manning getting on him pretty hard to learn the coverages so they would both be on the same page and know which way JT would run the routes.

It just takes some time on the field to get it going.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X