No announcement yet.

Broncos Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank my lucky stars for the Sunday Ticket student discount!!!!!!!
    #swapping

Comment

Once upon a time there was a bar in Denver that raffled off a brick for the winner to throw through a TV screen when Howard Cosell's face came on MNF.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Off to the bar for this one. Damn Patriots~
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

yayyyy Chargers on bye week which means I'm not stuck with their game and get to watch the Broncos
          sigpic

Comment

Stuck with the Patriots/Giants game

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Once upon a time there was a bar in Denver that raffled off a brick for the winner to throw through a TV screen when Howard Cosell's face came on MNF.
              Not that I loved Cosell but I'd opt to throw it when Dandy Don started singing "Turn off the lights... the party's over".
              "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

I broke my TV when I threw the remote at it after the Broncos drafted Tommy Maddox. I should have when they drafted Ted Gregory.
                sigpic

Comment

Another Elway bashing thread

Since it's the middle of the week, the Broncos don't play a real hard game (at home), and our minds need to be taken off of the Colt debacle, I have a real treat for you today:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=572027

It appears that this site had to get in it's monthly Elway bashing thread. I see threads on this site fairly often.

These fans always make the same argument. They don't understand that Elway was the whole team that year, and that a decent amount of Rice's TD's were short TD catches against bad teams like the Rams and the Falcons.

Comment

Elway took teams to the superbowl in one of the most dominate eras if not the most for NFC teams, (NFC east)

Comment

you know ur apart of a proud franchise when your QB becomes your GM and does a great job. When i see a Broncos fan in Bmore i feel like i am seeing a family member, you know thats a good fan base and good franchise.

Comment

If I remember correctly that was the year of the Drive in Cleveland. Elway had 4 or 5 4th QTR comeback victories that year. He statistically did not have a great year compared to Montana but he also didn't have the weapons that Montana had to work with.

I think Steve Watson was in his last year at WR and while I love Watson he was getting to be that slow old guy, a young receiving corp of Vance Johnson 3rd year, Mark Jackson 2nd year, and Ricky Nattiel rookie, this was before they called themselves the three amigos, Sammy Winder RB, Steve Sewell RB. and I think maybe Gerald Willhite may have still been on the team.

Not to mention MR Conservative head coach Dan Reeves.

A lot of people that do not watch the Broncos don't realize how many comebacks Elway lead them on and with out Elway extending plays the Broncos would have been major losers. For those that watched Elway getting chased all over the field and making some of the throws he made would not understand why Elway was so important to the Broncos.

Other fans say he was over hyped based on statistics but for those of us that watched him religiously he was amazing and you always knew you had a chance to win with Elway playing QB.

This is also the same year he lead them to the Superbowl in which we got our butts handed to us by the Redskins. If it could go wrong that day it did. Doug Williams played the game of his life that day and the Broncos couldn't slow them down to save their lives. That was a beat down of epic proportions.

Now a lot of this is from memory so some of this may not be right. If not I am claiming CR (Can't Remember) disease.
                        Last edited by EddieMac; 11-11-2015, 10:41 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                        2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                        2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Actually, Vance was in his second year, Jackson a rookie, Nattiel was not on the team yet and Watson played his last in '87. Assuming we are talking the 86 season playoffs.
                          Last edited by ArchAngel; 11-11-2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

The reality is that this was given to elway because of the eye test, not the back of the card Stat test. Elways stats were underwhelming in his first 10 years but people realized just how important the guy was to the entire team. The one comment said they were the best team in an awful afc and would not have even sniffed success in the nfc. But let's be honest, without elway the Broncos don't sniff 5 wins a year in the afc with the roster they had. Those teams had solid defenses but besides 7 the offense was one of the least talented of that era. You can't compare elway to marino and montana simply because montana had one of the greatest teams ever assembled around him, proven by the fact that Steve young had a hall of fame career with the same organization. And Dan marino had the luxury of developing on an afc champion super bowl runner up in the 83 dolphins.

Comment

I say to those people that Elway was the whole team in 86 and 87, but they give the defense credit for their success. Their D was smoke and mirrors for those seasons. They gave up over 400 yards rushing in the SB defeats to the Giants and Redskins. A few fans on that forum also blame Elway for the defensive meltdown in SB 22, but that's not responsible. That D was giving up huge chunks of yardage in that second quarter. They were just overpowered.

The best defenses that Denver had for the Elway-Reeves 10-year partnership were the 1991 and 92 defenses. They went into Buffalo in 91 and shut down the K-Gun in the AFC Title Game (giving the Redskins a blueprint for SB 26). They may have won if Treadwell didn't miss three fairly makeable FG's, and if Sewell didn't fumble late in the game.

The problem in 91 and 92 was the offense. Before the 91 season, they had to trade LT Gerald Perry to the Rams for Gaston Green because he was having legal troubles left and right. Also, LG Jim Juriga left the game.

That led to Elway having some makeshift O-lines in front of him. They started the 91 season with 89 draft pick Darrell Hamilton at LT, and they had to bring in vets later in the season like LT Harvey Salem and G's Sean Farrell and Crawford Ker. Then, in 92, those guys were gone, and they were starting an undrafted rookie FA at LT named Russell Freeman.

They also had a dearth of talent at the skill positions. RB Bobby Humphrey held out, and Gaston Green turned out to be a flash in the pan. The best rookie WR's that they brought in those two years were Derek Russell and Arthur Marshall (Reeves could have had Pickens in 92, but he takes Tommy Maddox to spite Elway). Shannon Sharpe's emergence was one of the lone bright spots.

Comment

But at some point, when your down and it's not working, you have to stop, and use plan B.

Comment

Working...
                                X