No announcement yet.

Mike Shanahan back as OC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I remember correctly it was discussed in the Terrell Davis, Football life documentary.
    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
      Two things

He was a pass happy play caller until Gibbs helped him understand the benefits of running more. The really cool thing is he passed this knowledge onto Kubes and Bates. Well I assume Kubes learned with him but Bates had to be taught later obviously.

What is forgotten by nearly everyone is how old the roster was Shanahan got. I did the research when all the news was saying how many players McD replaced from the 2008 team that were no longer in the league in a year or two (some got picked up at the end of the 2009 season by other teams after players got hurt). Shanahan actually replaced more players that were not in the NFL in two years than McD did.

I do not remember the exact head count but he replaced starters like Dennis Smith who in their prime were good players. As I recall some just retired because they knew the end was near.

Not only that but he brought talent to the roster, and developed some talent on the roster that Wade and Reeves failed to get the most out of.

The slant against Shanahan to get the fan base to accept him being fired was criminal imo

Yea he made mistakes but the effort put out to make us forget what he did do was just shameful
      LOL if I have Elway as my QB you can bet your butt I would be a pass haappy coach too.

Comment

I would love to have Shanny serve as a consultant for the offense because Kubiak is running the offense Shanny taught him. The input would be good and as a consultant it wouldn't be a coaching position which might work well. Does Kubiak call the actual plays or does he let Dennison handle it? Whoever called the plays against NE left them enough time to get to OT because we were suddenly pass happy and didn't burn clock.

Comment

Originally posted by assassin216 View Post
          I'm curious about something,how come the Broncos never asked Mark Schlereth or bring back Alex Gibbs(I know,he was here in 2013) to become the offensive line consultant

Word is Alex has some choice words for some coaches and even players back in 2013 during that game we lost.. I think he might have burned some bridges here...

It's a shame really because IMO he is the reason Elway won those rings, not Shanny...

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
            I guess you would have to have been around for all the early days, and failures. I guess you'd have to have been around to know why Lou Saban got the knickname, "Half a Loaf Lou". And how John Ralston took us another step up the ladder. And how Red Miller got us to the Super Bowl where we were never in the game against Dallas. And all those wasted years with Dan Reeves conservative offense, with a weapon like John Elway, where we got so close, only to get our butts kicked in 3 Super Bowl losses, to understand what Mike Shanahan has meant to this franchise.

It's really too bad that there is such a lack of understanding of the Broncos history.
            To call the incredibly successful turnaround of the Broncos from a punching bag before Reeves/Elway into AFC's most successful franchise in that period, is a bit rough. In earnest I think that Reeves did exactly what Elway needed, and stopped Elway from turning into what we see in Cutler.

Lets not forget that Shanahan was there for many of those "wasted years" running the offense. For all the fantastic praise of Elway, and as fantastic as his skills were, was NOT running the offense in any way shape or form like Manning has. Elway under Reeves was much more like Tebow under Fox (albeit they used vastly different skill sets) - few good things happened in the first 3 quarters, and the roller coaster started when all seemed lost in the no guts no glory minutes.

Shanahan lucked into a 6th round pick that they had as the 6th string RB going into the preseason game in Japan. The Shanahan success in Denver was based on taking over Wade's defense and on the luck that played a huge role in the SB run.

I have a very hard time seeing what Mike has done since Elway retired that makes people think that he is worth bringing in. Sorry to say but the difference between Sammy Winder and Terrell Davis, was more important than the difference between Reeves and Shanny.

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
              Some people here have forgotten, or were simply too young to realize, what was going on and where credit belongs during our Superbowl years.

Shanahan TAUGHT Kubiak his offense. Kubiak was the backup QB in Denver when Shanahan was the OC under Reeves. Next Kubiak was the QB coach under Shanahan when Mike was the OC in San Francisco developing the run-heavy variation of the West Coast Offense under Seifert (under Walsh).

Mike called the plays directly on the sideline up to and including the Superbowl years -he informed the press then that he was doing so, and he could be seen with headset on, covering his mouth with the playsheet. Kubes was the OC/QB coach during that run, working directly with Elway, Bubby Brister, etc and still learning the job from Shanny. He called plays later, after Elway retired, but Mike always had a heavy hand in offensive gameplans, all the way til he was fired.

After Kubiak left for Houston (where he mostly struggled, .488), Rick Dennison (who had been a Broncos offensive assistant, ST coach, and OL coach for ten years) was promoted to OC in the last part of Shanahan's tenure (the Cutler years), and he is now the OC here again, as he was under Kubiak in Houston from 2010-2013, when the Texans finally got a little better and actually got into the playoffs during two seasons.

Shanahan was great for a time, he assembled the SB team --no "luck" required, he had a good eye for spotting talented RB's in the draft, Terrell Davis being the 'diamond in the rough', as well as undrafted FA WR Rod Smith who turned out to be a stud. There's certainly nothing wrong with Shanahan's offensive philosophy, and he has a talent for putting together an effective offense, but it was his decisions as the GM that hurt the Broncos and later the Redskins. He doesn't get along with defensive coordinators (we had a different one every year for a while), signed a lot of free agent busts, and made too many poor draft decisions on that side of the ball. He left the Broncos and Redskins defenses in utter, talentless shambles.

But as for the OP, I seriously doubt he is needed as a consultant -what can Shanahan offer that he didn't already teach Gary and Rick? There's also the matter of the rocky history between himself and Elway. As I understand it, some of that has been patched up and they are a least civil, maybe even respectful -publically, that is- but probably not enough to let him back into the war room at Dove Valley.
              The bold text is spot on. As covered above, the fact that TD turned into the beast he was and was the building block that allowed Elway to become one of the most amazing "game managers" the game has seen was based on a lot of lucky breaks.

Elway needed the running game that TD/Tom Nalen and the rest of the O-line brought, so he could sit back and not be the singular target for opposing defenses.

I do not see that Shanahan as a person would be able to play second fiddle to Kubes, and frankly I am not sure that Shanahan would have had a higher win rate in the division that Peyton Manning owned than Kubes did. I think many a Head Coach has suffered when playing against Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in the time since Elway rode into the sunset.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
                To call the incredibly successful turnaround of the Broncos from a punching bag before Reeves/Elway into AFC's most successful franchise in that period, is a bit rough. In earnest I think that Reeves did exactly what Elway needed, and stopped Elway from turning into what we see in Cutler.

Lets not forget that Shanahan was there for many of those "wasted years" running the offense. For all the fantastic praise of Elway, and as fantastic as his skills were, was NOT running the offense in any way shape or form like Manning has. Elway under Reeves was much more like Tebow under Fox (albeit they used vastly different skill sets) - few good things happened in the first 3 quarters, and the roller coaster started when all seemed lost in the no guts no glory minutes.

Shanahan lucked into a 6th round pick that they had as the 6th string RB going into the preseason game in Japan. The Shanahan success in Denver was based on taking over Wade's defense and on the luck that played a huge role in the SB run.

I have a very hard time seeing what Mike has done since Elway retired that makes people think that he is worth bringing in. Sorry to say but the difference between Sammy Winder and Terrell Davis, was more important than the difference between Reeves and Shanny.
                I could not disagree more with this take.

First, saying Reeves prevented Elway from turning into Cutler is just flat out bizarre. The only two traits those qbs share is a strong arm. Also, there's no question that Reeves was the wrong coach for Elway's skill set. He would have done much better with Shula or Walsh.

Second, of course Elway didn't run the offense the way Manning did. The eras were vastly different, not to mention the talent level. Elway did more with less than any qb ever. Also, the Reeves/Elway offense was still light years better than the Tebow/Fox version. Another bizarre comparison.

Third, yeah ok, TD was a lucky pick. So was Tom Brady. By the way, we won SBs with Greg Robinson's defense, not Wade's. As far as Davis vs. Winder, obviously there's no comparison. However, remember how many average backs excelled in Shanny's offense. Guys like Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson. Now, I'll admit that Shanny hasn't done much since Elway retired. That being said, how did Belichick do as a head coach before Brady? The bottom line is Shanny was a vast upgrade over Reeves, and we would have no rings without him.
                Last edited by gerontion; 12-06-2015, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

I think Elway and the way his dad raised him (see the story about his dad benching him while Elway played basketball) helped Elway not become Cutler more than anything Reeves did. With that said Reeves did start Elway the way he should have...but imo when Shanahan tried to take over the offense more Reeves should have let him instead of flipping out about it.

What did Shanahan do post Elway?

Help build a top 3 defense (in rushing, passing and scoring) twice
                  Take three different QBs to five playoff appearances with 2 completely different teams
                  Get to the AFC Champ game
                  Come within 1 game of getting to the playoffs two more years
                  Help build a rushing attack that would make nearly everyone believe any back could get 1000 yards for nearly a decade

Just curious how much research did you do when you said

I have a very hard time seeing what Mike has done since Elway retired that makes people think that he is worth bringing in.
                  I have done a lot of research why our defense went down hill and what we down in the Shanahan years. I can list off the mistakes he made and how I agree he should not make decisions on player contracts. IMO some lucky early success in free agency while building those Super Bowl teams helped him to believe bad behavior would be constantly rewarded when it comes to free agency. It is hindsight I know but we can say without doubt...he go lucky in free agency early in his career as a GM in Denver.

As a coach...he is HoF worthly and anyone who seriously researches this would also believe that.

He did not get there alone but right now he has the combined knowledge of a bunch of really good coaching minds he has worked with.

Do not allow bad GM choices confuse you with what he can do as a coach....imo specially as a coach who would bring a completely new perspective to a way he is already very familiar with.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Sitoke View Post
                    Not sure I agree with this.
                    Shanahan brought in:
                    Terrell Davis, Trevor Pryce, Alfred Williams, Maa Tanuvasa, Bill Romanowski, Darian Gordon, Diaz-Infante, John Mobley, Howard Griffith, Ed McCaffery, Rod Smith, Tony Jones, Keith Traylor, Neil Smith, Bubby Brister, Mark Schlereth, and talked Zimmerman out of retirement.

Interesting how the narrative gets rewritten after time. Shanahan for sure was fired for bad personnel/staff decisions, but he made some pretty good ones to begin his tenure.
                    Yeah these guys played well for us, but you can't forget that they were known as cast offs because their teams didn't want them either due to age, injury, or performance.

And for every good player he has brought you have to look at the guys like Simeon Rice, Travis Henry, Daniel Graham, Dre Bly, Willie Middlebrooks, Darius Watts (only had feeling in one hand as a WR), Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder, the Browncos, Karl Paymah, Domonique Foxworth, Sam Adams, Amon Gordon, Jeremy Lesuer, Jeff Shoate, etc etc. It seemed like after 2000 hit, he was just throwing darts and would occasionally get a hit.

Comment

LOL, I haven't even read the vast majority of the posts on this thread, I just think it's ridiculous it's grown this large. I'm only assuming the thread has been derailed. There is absolutely NO CHANCE of Mike Shannahan becoming OC. ZERO. NADA. He is a chief, not an indian. If that's too non-pc for you, then he is a chef, not a cook.
                      Geaux Tigers

Comment

I don't want him and he wouldn't come , so , mute point

Comment

Originally posted by GTcomo View Post
                          I don't want him and he wouldn't come , so , mute point
                          He was asked in an interview and didn't emphatically say no to the idea of consulting (assuming if asked)... so... is that what you mean by a "mute" point?

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                            He was asked in an interview and didn't emphatically say no to the idea of consulting (assuming if asked)... so... is that what you mean by a "mute" point?
                            I think he means a medieval Anglo-Saxon assembly.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I think the best kind of consultant Shanny could be, is a second set of eyes for half time adjustments. It might not be needed though.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X