Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos 30-1 since 2013 when rushing for 90+ Yards

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Jason Sitoke View Post
    Whether you run or pass, if the offense stays on the field, the defense rests. Whether the game clock is moving or not does not affect how much rest the defense gets, so if you go 3 and out rushing or passing, doesn't make a difference.
    True, however the game clock still moves after an unsuccessful run play but stops after an incompletion. So a sputtering run game will still have more of an effect on the nature of a game than a sputtering passing game.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

    Comment


    • #17
      This could also be explained by a "run the clock" philosophy in which we run more when we're winning. When you're losing games generally the run game suffers because you need all the time you can get. Now, that doesn't mean our running game isn't good for other reasons, but I think this statistic says only that we do a good job of closing out games.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Jason Sitoke View Post
        Whether you run or pass, if the offense stays on the field, the defense rests. Whether the game clock is moving or not does not affect how much rest the defense gets, so if you go 3 and out rushing or passing, doesn't make a difference.
        A team that passes tends to line up fast and run another passing play. Specially if they feel they got a certain matchup they want to exploit...they do not want to allow the defense to sub.

        A team that is focused on running tends to run the clock down every time because that is why they are running the ball...to control the game.

        A 3-out you are right. Even if it was a quick 15 sec per play or 40 sec per play what's the difference...75 sec?

        Where you are wrong is the scoring drives...or even the drives that get a few first downs and punt. Which unless the offense sucks is more drives than not.

        I think what is important about using as much time as possible is the defense gets to look over available material, communicate and talk about how they will stop the opposing offense.

        It may not seem much but even on 6-8 plays the difference can be a good conversation.
        Last edited by Hadez; 12-09-2015, 08:39 PM.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          A team that passes tends to line up fast and run another passing play. Specially if they feel they got a certain matchup they want to exploit...they do not want to allow the defense to sub.

          A team that is focused on running tends to run the clock down every time because that is why they are running the ball...to control the game.

          A 3-out you are right. Even if it was a quick 15 sec per play or 40 sec per play what's the difference...75 sec?

          Where you are wrong is the scoring drives...or even the drives that get a few first downs and punt. Which unless the offense sucks is more drives than not.

          I think what is important about using as much time as possible is the defense gets to look over available material, communicate and talk about how they will stop the opposing offense.

          It may not seem much but even on 6-8 plays the difference can be a good conversation.
          I think all I was saying is all things being equal...number of plays in the drive, no hurry up...the time off the field for the defense is the same. One could argue that running the ball more shortens the game in terms of plays, but that doesn't necessarily benefit us in all cases.

          Comment


          • #20
            Broncos 30-1 since 2013 when rushing for 90+ Yards

            Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
            Safe to say Kubiak and Elway are aware of this... With our defense... If we rush for ninety plus yards... Don't turn the ball over... It may be near impossible to beat us, especially at home.

            Oh, and let's celebrate another s aeon (fifth consecutive) where DEN goes 3-0 on the road in DIV games... Extending our NFL record... Impressive.
            Originally posted by chad72 View Post
            If your strength is the defense, running the ball chews up valuable clock that leads to the D's legs being fresh.

            Your D plays a lot of base nickel and is built well enough to handle the no huddle. However, if your team has to play from behind and your D has an off night, then the pass rushers will be facing multiple TEs all day trying to maul them in the run game. There will always be one such game where you go down by 2 TDs, that is when the pass to run ratio has to be flexible, IMO.

            No co-incidence when Peyton won the SB, the Colts were #1 in rush offense and #1 in rush defense, quite the rope-a-dope we pulled from the regular season. But that would not have been possible if a) Peyton had not been passing at a high level that teams chose to see if Peyton would hand it off by playing 2 safeties deep and b) Peyton did not hand it off consistently seeing that is how teams were playing him and the Colts offense. They were patient with the run because they were generating enough YPC even when they were down 3-21 vs the Patriots in the AFCCG. The flip side is when another team controls time of possession (or gains a possession with an onside kick) and your YPC is not good and you are getting stuffed on 2nd downs more often resulting in more 3rd and longs as the game goes on, the pressure will build up in a 60 minute game leading to more pass attempts as the game goes on. That is basically what happened in the Saints SB for Peyton and the Colts.

            Besides, passer rating differential is a more relevant stat than stopping the run according to cold hard football facts:

            http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...terback/32860/

            Some more articles for you guys to chew on:

            https://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/10/...-the-playoffs/

            http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/FO-basics

            I will play a little devil's advocate with this, even though I am a fan of a good run game. Some points:

            - Since 2013, we've have the best record in football, narrowly ahead of The Pats, so we've been winning with or without a high tiered backfield. Much of this success was based on an outstanding pass game. The run game was effective, but not what made us tick. We have basically been a middle of the road run team (in terms of yards per game):
            2013 - 15th
            2014 - 15th
            2015 - 17th
            - The Passer Rating Differential makes a lot of sense, which is little to do with running the ball, outside the likelihood that rushing has a very real impact on passer effectiveness, but is hard to quantify
            - And here's the tough one to hang your hat on......if you ran the ball for anything less than 90 yards per game, this season, you would be no better than 27th in the NFL in that category, and that is nothing to get excited about!

            Listen, I love a run game. But sometimes stats are more interesting than important. Going 30 and 1 with 90 or more yards per game is amazing, but 90 yards is not. If you told me that being in the top 10 in the league in rushing gets you 30 and 1, I would be more inclined to buy in. But 90 yards per game tells me the other parts of our game were much more dominant, including the overall passing game including passer rating differential, plus D and other factors.

            Comment


            • #21
              That is an interesting stat however I think the one listed below is most relevant.

              Since 1960, the Denver Broncos are 454 - 384 when the Broncos score more points than the other team in the regular season. I think it's obvious what we must do from here on out.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by BroncoSynapses View Post
                That is an interesting stat however I think the one listed below is most relevant.

                Since 1960, the Denver Broncos are 454 - 384 when the Broncos score more points than the other team in the regular season. I think it's obvious what we must do from here on out.
                We've lost 384 games since 1960 when we scored more points than the other team? That's not very good.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                  We've lost 384 games since 1960 when we scored more points than the other team? That's not very good.
                  It is a surprising stat

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X