Tyler Polumbus
    Kyle Williams
    Christian Ponder

Their RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS are as follows:

CJ Anderson
    Brandon Marshall
    Lerentee McCray
    Josh Bush

It's pretty evident that the Broncos are going to tag Von Miller. He's going to command the highest salary of any defensive player in NFL history, which is not something that can be worked out in due course.

I see them keeping one of the MLBs and one of the DEs. My guess would be Brandon Marshall and Malik Jackson, although Derek Wolfe has certainly made it more difficult playing as he has the last few games. Ditto for Trevathan.

That brings us to Brock Osweiler. The thinking at the beginning of the season was that the Broncos would be able to sign Osweiler for a bargain because he would be unproven and teams wouldn't spend a lot of money on an unproven commodity. Well, the cat's out of the bag, and right now Osweiler is going to command $10 million a season EASY. At this point you can make an argument that he can get a Jay Cutler-ish contract worth $15 million, especially given that the Eagles were prepared to offer Sam Bradford a $70+ million contract this past offseason. Osweiler appears that he can be a top-15 quarterback in the NFL, and in a quarterback-starved league top-15 is stellar for many teams.

So, there's a legitimate scenario in which the Broncos may lose Osweiler, and if they don't they will probably have to overspend for him and hope he earns the contract. And if they do re-sign Osweiler and ultimately work out a deal with Von, then there's a possibility we're going to lose A LOT of key pieces, especially on defense, for next year.

I would REALLY hate to be John Elway right now...
    sigpic

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/denver-broncos/

The Broncos UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS are as follows:

Von Miller
    Evan Mathis
    *Vernon Davis*
    Antonio Smith
    David Bruton
    Malik Jackson
    Danny Trevathan
    Andre Caldwell
    Ryan Harris
    Derek Wolfe
    Brock Osweiler
    *Ronnie Hillman *
    *Omar Bolden*
    Jordan Norwood
    Tyler Polumbus
    Kyle Williams
    Christian Ponder
    The guys bolded and underlined we should go hard after. The guys starred would be nice to keep. Manning, Ware and Clady take up 37.9 million of next year's cap.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Von Miller
      Evan Mathis
      Vernon Davis
      Antonio Smith
      David Bruton
      Malik Jackson
      Danny Trevathan
      Andre Caldwell
      Ryan Harris
      Derek Wolfe
      Brock Osweiler
      Ronnie Hillman
      Omar Bolden
      Jordan Norwood
      Tyler Polumbus
      Kyle Williams
      Christian Ponder

CJ Anderson
      Brandon Marshall
      Lerentee McCray
      Josh Bush

It's pretty evident that the Broncos are going to tag Von Miller. He's going to command the highest salary of any defensive player in NFL history, which is not something that can be worked out in due course.

I see them keeping one of the MLBs and one of the DEs. My guess would be Brandon Marshall and Malik Jackson, although Derek Wolfe has certainly made it more difficult playing as he has the last few games. Ditto for Trevathan.

That brings us to Brock Osweiler. The thinking at the beginning of the season was that the Broncos would be able to sign Osweiler for a bargain because he would be unproven and teams wouldn't spend a lot of money on an unproven commodity. Well, the cat's out of the bag, and right now Osweiler is going to command $10 million a season EASY. At this point you can make an argument that he can get a Jay Cutler-ish contract worth $15 million, especially given that the Eagles were prepared to offer Sam Bradford a $70+ million contract this past offseason. Osweiler appears that he can be a top-15 quarterback in the NFL, and in a quarterback-starved league top-15 is stellar for many teams.

So, there's a legitimate scenario in which the Broncos may lose Osweiler, and if they don't they will probably have to overspend for him and hope he earns the contract. And if they do re-sign Osweiler and ultimately work out a deal with Von, then there's a possibility we're going to lose A LOT of key pieces, especially on defense, for next year.

I don't see it that way at all.

I think the team would sign Brock (IF IF IF) they believe he is the QB of the future over Von. I had stated previously von has already been injured, he is in the drug program and hes one idiotic move away from a long term suspension. Von is a generational talent, but the whole team is more important than von.

If the Broncos can sign Malik, Wolfe, + Trevathan for the price of Von, I think we are better suited with our defense mostly intact. We also have the Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett up and coming which makes von more expendable.

I would not put it past John to pull off a tag + trade of von.

The cap is estimated to increase by about 10 million. Someone had mentioned previously that covers the increases to talib + harris.

We have not even started to discuss cutting clady, Colquitt, ware, and some other vets.
      Last edited by Gsam; 12-07-2015, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Also want to say this...

There's a small but possible chance the Broncos will TAG Von, but ultimately trade him, as crazy as it may sound. I don't think drafting Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett was an accident. I think Elway is preparing for the possibility we may not be able to re-sign Von.
        sigpic

Comment

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
            I don't see it that way at all.

I think the team would sign Brock (IF IF IF) they believe he is the QB of the future over Von. I had stated previously von has already been injured, he is in the drug program and hes one idiotic move away from a long term suspension. Von is a generational talent, but the whole team is more important than von.

If the Broncos can sign Malik, Wolfe, + Trevathan for the price of Von, I think we are better suited with our defense mostly intact. We also have the Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett up and coming which makes von more expendable.

I would not put it past John to pull off a tag + trade of von.
            Actually due to the rule changes regarding marijuana offenses, Von is officially out of the drug program:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...s-drug-program

Not sure if that really changes your position but it's worth mentioning.
            sigpic

Comment

Actually due to the rule changes regarding marijuana offenses, Von is officially out of the drug program:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...s-drug-program

Not sure if that really changes your position but it's worth mentioning.
              Good point. I could have sworn I heard though because he already has been suspended for it, if he were to get busted for PED's its a 1 year ban? Is that wrong?

Comment

Von Miller
                Evan Mathis
                Vernon Davis
                Antonio Smith
                David Bruton
                Malik Jackson
                Danny Trevathan
                Andre Caldwell
                Ryan Harris
                Derek Wolfe
                Brock Osweiler
                Ronnie Hillman
                Omar Bolden
                Jordan Norwood
                Tyler Polumbus
                Kyle Williams
                Christian Ponder

CJ Anderson
                Brandon Marshall
                Lerentee McCray
                Josh Bush

Von Miller shouldn't command any more money than JJ Watt, who got 6 years, 100 million. As good as Miller is, Watt is simply better.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                  Von Miller shouldn't command any more money than JJ Watt, who got 6 years, 100 million. As good as Miller is, Watt is simply better.
                  Really what we're arguing is that one is Joe Montana while the other is Tom Brady. One may be more special than the other, but in the end it's all semantics. Plus you need to factor inflation into the equation and the fact that Von is playing at a higher level now than he was say...2-3 years ago. Bottom line is he's a once-in-a-lifetime player and one of the top 3-5 defensive players in the game.

Most analysts are predicting Von will command a 5/6-year deal worth over $100 million. It definitely helped that he got out of the league's drug program because now the 1-year suspension isn't looming over him.
                  sigpic

Comment

Getting rid of Von and having Shane and Shaq as the primary pass rushers is a scary thought and not in a good way. Those boys aren't ready.

Comment

I might be wrong but isn't the cap supposed to raise next offseason? it might make things a little easier. For as talented as Von is I think I would attempt a sign and trade with him. Ray and Barrett are a little raw but I think they could do a good job, imo.

Comment

Really what we're arguing is that one is Joe Montana while the other is Tom Brady. One may be more special than the other, but in the end it's all semantics. Plus you need to factor inflation into the equation and the fact that Von is playing at a higher level now than he was say...2-3 years ago. Bottom line is he's a once-in-a-lifetime player and one of the top 3-5 defensive players in the game.

Most analysts are predicting Von will command a 5/6-year deal worth over $100 million. It definitely helped that he got out of the league's drug program because now the 1-year suspension isn't looming over him.

I think I might go the route of Tagging Von next year and seeing if we could trade DT and offload his big contract the year after and re sign Von to a new contract in 2017.Whilst Von is in my opinion the second best Defensive player in the league (behind JJ Watt) DT is a great player but two things stick out to me with DT.One is the fact that I don't think he is as important in this offense we will run with Kubes and Brock(assuming he re signs).Secondly is good WR's are actually easier to find either in Free agency or the draft.

Comment

Not a fan of paying one player... Manning and Clady are examples worth learning from. Build a team, don't buy stars. Almost all fail to live up to huge contracts. Keep them hungry.. There is a reason our defense is playing lights out.. Pretty much everyone is in a contract year!

Comment

Originally posted by River Side View Post
                            Not a fan of paying one player... Manning and Clady are examples worth learning from. Build a team, don't buy stars. Almost all fail to live up to huge contracts. Keep them hungry.. There is a reason our defense is playing lights out.. Pretty much everyone is in a contract year!
                            Manning was worth every penny we paid him until father time finally caught up to him. As far as keeping players hungry, the best players are motivated by more than money or fame. They are motivated by winning and championships.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                              Manning was worth every penny we paid him until father time finally caught up to him. As far as keeping players hungry, the best players are motivated by more than money or fame. They are motivated by winning and championships.
                              I agree with this. Great players will want to win even if they are getting paid boatloads of money. Look at JJ Watt as an example. HE got paid a huge contract and he is on pace to either tie or break all of his previous seasons sack records. That is a great example of a guy who wants to win. Now there is another line of thinking that if a guy tries to force his team to pay him double digit millions that it forces their hand and there is no way for them to retain enough talent to win a SB.....that is a different discussion all together.

Comment

Working...
                              X